Purchasing a Metal Detector for my Husband for Xmas, HELP?

Twopeaedpod

Hi all :)

My husband has been pining for a metal detector for years now and I would like to surprise him with one on Christmas morning :)

He is experienced. He's had one before and used it for awhile but then life got crazy and he had to sell it. He said he had a beginner's model and was not at all satisfied with it anyway. He said he'd like a more advanced model if he were to get another.

We own an 1817 farm and he's very excited to find old relics, coins, etc. around our property. Since this property has been around and used for so long, there's probably alot of 60-90's junk on top of the "good stuff" he'd be looking for. I don't know if that matters, but I thought I'd mention it in case it does.

I am completely unknowledgeable about metal detectors so I thought it best to ask the experts what they would do! I'm looking to spend no more than $400 and a used/older model is just fine, but if new is best for some reason, then that's okay as well.

Please advise!!! Thanks so much!!!

Well, for four hundred you could go a bunch of different ways. You could get a Fisher F2 (200 bucks) and a bunch of neat accessories, you could get a Fisher F5 and no accessories but a really super nice detector, you could get into a Tesoro, which are amazingly deep but have no screens/numbers (the Tesoro Vaquero comes to mind), or try finding a used AT Pro or something by Garrett that’ll be in your price range.

You came to the right place. Let us know what you decide on!

Additionally, you may want to contact Bart at Big Boy Hobbies (he’s a vendor here on the boards) and see what he thinks your hubby should get. He can get ya screaming deals and the right detector.

Additionally, you may want to contact Bart at Big Boy Hobbies (he’s a vendor here on the boards) and see what he thinks your hubby should get. He can get ya screaming deals and the right detector.

Yes, do this.

Also a Garret AT Pro can sell for $400 used.. that would seem like a great metal detector for the farm etc

Choices

Of course New will have a warranty and usually be in perfect working condition! Of course you will Also get way more detector for your $400 buying Used! If you decide to get Used, try to find one with Warranty remaining and transferable! The private MD sales ads here and at a couple other sites have Seller and Buyer references... Good Luck and Happy Hunting (for an MD).... Pat

Look at the Minelab X-Terra line...

Get the Minelab 305 and when he wants to upgrade he can keep any accessory coils to use on the 505 or 705.

Talk to Rich and let him know you are a member here. He'll do right by you.

http://www.colonialmetaldetectors.com/Minelab-X-Terra-305_p_363.html

X305Main.jpg

Minelab makes fine detectors!

Highly recommended. :yes:

Although there are many very good options out there in your price range, some of the more popular models are from Fisher, Minelab, Garrett, and Tesoro, as well as Whites. I think the Fisher F4, Minelab 305, and Garrett ACE 350 would all be very good units that might fit the bill.
Good luck with your decision. Lots of good advice to be found on this forum.

Price?

If you get quoted a price of $594 for the AT Pro, you are using the wrong Sponsor/Dealer! That's full price with no forum members discount... GL & HH.....Pat

My head hurts....I'm just going to ask him what he wants. This is WAY over my head! lol
Thanks anyway guys!

AT Pro, add the 5x8 coil later when he has gotten through the first layer of junk and has some experience with the machine. Good Luck!

Back
Top Bottom