Thoughts on the Rutus Alter 71

That's kind of my point. I would expect a 14K gold ring to be higher than a nickel, but in Vinnie's case it was quite a bit lower.

I think it means I need to be digging more lower signals, especially with a good hodograph.

That's kind of my point. I would expect a 14K gold ring to be higher than a nickel, but in Vinnie's case it was quite a bit lower.

I think it means I need to be digging more lower signals, especially with a good hodograph.

Well,,just yesterday I did some testing with small thin gold ring,,,it read 42 in the meter with 6khz normalized setting selected.

Personally based on my testing,,,gold rings a good starting place to start digging,,is 38,,, with the normaization 6khz selected.
Odds are a target below 38 solo sitting will be foil or smaller can slaw.
No absolutes,,,and yes there are other things made of gold besides rings,, like chains,,lockets,crosses, ear rings, etc.

But I think in a place where gold rings could be has,,,this a good place to start looking id wise.

Did you try a little bigger ring and a modern square pull tab? Some of the those will ring up and sound so solid that they fool me quite often...actually more than quite often:lol: If there's a detector out there that can differentiate between a pulltab (modern or old ring style beavertail), I would like to know about it.

EDIT: sorry, I just saw your very last sentence!

The At pro does rather well for me differentiating pulltabs from rings.just sayin.

I didn't get the orientation of the dime. I'm able to pinpoint things very well with the Rutus and it fell out of the plug. I was expected a clad dime, I was very surprised to find the merc.

I'll try dialing down the gain, but I'm not unhappy with the sounds on the Rutus. I've run almost exclusively Coins 3. I need to work on setting some tone profiles. I'd like to dial up the nickel signal.

I like the ID spread on the Rutus as well, from 1 to 120. They were able to spread out the IDs between some of the aluminum targets and coins.

Out of curiosity, do you have another detector with a lower shaft the fits the Rutus? I'd like another to make switching coils easier and I haven't found one that Rutus sells. The AT Pro shaft is a little big.

Thanks.

I am using a tesoro lower rod.

I gave the Rutus a different type of challenge last weekend, a seeded hunt lol
The tokens were no deeper than 3"-4", so i ran 18khz, disc 70, sens 60, reactivity 5
Great fun to use, i was sweeping very fast and even so it hit hard on the little tokens, it actually ran that quiet i put on a bit of threshold volume just to be sure!
A enjoyable day out with my daughter who was using the F19, and some nice prizes to be had, and a very tasty Fors Relic from Nokta.
That's my daughter doing the draw and handing out the prizes to the winners.

Attachments

• FB_IMG_1496068214437.jpg
    FB_IMG_1496068214437.jpg
    30.5 KB · Views: 345
  • 2017-05-27 14.23.46.jpg
    2017-05-27 14.23.46.jpg
    60.2 KB · Views: 337
  • FB_IMG_1496222456321.jpg
    FB_IMG_1496222456321.jpg
    41.3 KB · Views: 336
I gave the Rutus a different type of challenge last weekend, a seeded hunt lol
The tokens were no deeper than 3"-4", so i ran 18khz, disc 70, sens 60, reactivity 5
Great fun to use, i was sweeping very fast and even so it hit hard on the little tokens, it actually ran that quiet i put on a bit of threshold volume just to be sure!
A enjoyable day out with my daughter who was using the F19, and some nice prizes to be had, and a very tasty Fors Relic from Nokta.
That's my daughter doing the draw and handing out the prizes to the winners.

Hello ghound... may I ask which event this was? God bless your daughter.. I am very happy that our product was handed out by such a sweet girl. If I knew, I would have sent her a Nokta cap:-)

Hi Nokta, it was the Northern Ireland detecting rally, really enjoyable event, it's my daughters second year at it, thanks to Nokta for sponsoring the event and the top prizes.
We enjoy our detecting and both have a love of our local history, maybe if you produce a junior detector she will trial it for you!
Here's a few more pics.

Hello ghound... may I ask which event this was? God bless your daughter.. I am very happy that our product was handed out by such a sweet girl. If I knew, I would have sent her a Nokta cap:-)

Attachments

• FB_IMG_1496068220929.jpg
    FB_IMG_1496068220929.jpg
    32.2 KB · Views: 339
  • FB_IMG_1496068227051.jpg
    FB_IMG_1496068227051.jpg
    35.2 KB · Views: 333
  • FB_IMG_1496068234497.jpg
    FB_IMG_1496068234497.jpg
    32.4 KB · Views: 341
  • FB_IMG_1496068240303.jpg
    FB_IMG_1496068240303.jpg
    32.8 KB · Views: 345
  • received_1862132887444151.jpg
    received_1862132887444151.jpg
    74.6 KB · Views: 330
Last edited:
While talking about the speed of the Rutus, i have been playing with using 120 tones set on a sliding scale, Vince kindly sent me some setting and i've altered them slightly to suit myself.
So in this vid, 7 targets all different conductors jumping from high-low-high.
I've included the F19, not to bash it but because Fishers are noted as fairly fast machines and it shows how difficult this test is with a 2 tone machine.
I have it set the F19 with the tone break at 66 midway between the ID of the targets, full volume, no disc etc and with a very fast sweep it gets maybe 2 or 3 targets, but at a sensible sweep speed it does very well.
The Rutus is running a simple 2 tone, then i change it to 120 tones and to be able to jump up and down the ID scale the way it does i think is very impressive.
The F19 has the narrower 12.5"x8.5" while the Rutus is wearing the 11" round, imagine if they produce a sniper coil !
https://youtu.be/ZnAzn5dbTRc

Attachments

• 2017-05-31 14.35.22.jpg
    2017-05-31 14.35.22.jpg
    42.2 KB · Views: 481
While talking about the speed of the Rutus, i have been playing with using 120 tones set on a sliding scale, Vince kindly sent me some setting and i've altered them slightly to suit myself.
So in this vid, 7 targets all different conductors jumping from high-low-high.
I've included the F19, not to bash it but because Fishers are noted as fairly fast machines and it shows how difficult this test is with a 2 tone machine.
I have it set the F19 with the tone break at 66 midway between the ID of the targets, full volume, no disc etc and with a very fast sweep it gets maybe 2 or 3 targets, but at a sensible sweep speed it does very well.
The Rutus is running a simple 2 tone, then i change it to 120 tones and to be able to jump up and down the ID scale the way it does i think is very impressive.
The F19 has the narrower 12.5"x8.5" while the Rutus is wearing the 11" round, imagine if they produce a sniper coil !
https://youtu.be/ZnAzn5dbTRc

That's good stuff, ghound. I feel like I've only begun to learn how flexible the Rutus is and still have some working dialing it in. But that's a fun part of the hobby for me.

Have you done much with the dual mode? I understand what it's doing, but need to learn what the benefit of hunting in dual mode is.

Not done too much of the dual mode, but the idea is that the all metal channel will go that bit deeper. I can see it being real useful on med-large targets at lower khz.

Is that really convenient that sound slope?

For me I have the bottle cap section a different sound frequency. Foil range etc etc.

They way you have set it up sounding a bit "difficult " to determine which conducter is under the coil.

Yes it's not something i'd use on a busy site, probably better suited to a quiet pasture, but it's only an experiment at the moment, luckily most of my sites are old and i rarely dig modern tops, ring pulls etc.
I don't go for multi tones that much, i do have a much simpler setting for milled coinage, say from 1600's onwards, but usually im a simple 2 tone hunter, if it's not iron i'm digging.

Is that really convenient that sound slope?

For me I have the bottle cap section a different sound frequency. Foil range etc etc.

They way you have set it up sounding a bit "difficult " to determine which conducter is under the coil.

That's good stuff, ghound. I feel like I've only begun to learn how flexible the Rutus is and still have some working dialing it in. But that's a fun part of the hobby for me.

Have you done much with the dual mode? I understand what it's doing, but need to learn what the benefit of hunting in dual mode is.

Dual mode, what can it do for you?

If you are say detecting in a field with not much nails and trash,,,deeper finds when running disc mode (not dual mode),,the deeper finds will need to be flushed moreso with coil to get tone(detect). At fringe depth detectable here, coil center coming over the target more critical.

Now, fast forward to dual mode, in a similar aite mentioned above,,,the All Metal portion will allow to locate suspect targets with more coil position latitude,,even the deeper finds.

Using dual mode, once you locate, you will center coil, and Rutus may indeed sound off tonally through the disc channel,,with ID to boot.
Some targets the disc mode may not sound off on,yet the am side does,,,as a person pivots around these kinds of targets, and depending on site history, a person may dig some of these.

Cylindrical shaped things like bullets,,and coins,,will have a more round presentation as you listen to the AM side of things.

A good idea to bury some say civil war bullets and deeper coins,, like at a ft deep, and then practice listening to how they sound,,how the tone around the edges of the targets drops off.

It does take some practice here to get decently good with this.
And yes a person will dig some iron too,,but can dig some nidpce finds as well.

Hope this helps.

Really busy sites as stated by Ghound,,not a good place to have am turned on.

Last edited:
I've been hitting the coppers again, and a first for me, a KG111 token penny which were only minted in 1806-1807, apparently they used 150 tons of copper, so they made a fair few.
It came from the same fields i found the other KG coins, but as you can see in the pic beside the other KG coins, this one is a monster in comparison at 34mm dia.
The grass was quite tall, and i wasn't expecting it, nearly didn't dig it as it sounded too big and i was getting a banging signal with the coil well off the ground, coin was no more than 7" deep.
This site is looking promising, bound to be a few nice silvers!
Settings were 9khz, max sens, 60 gain, reactivity 2, masking 0.

Attachments

• P_20170601_141905.jpg
    P_20170601_141905.jpg
    39.2 KB · Views: 433
Took Rutus unit to a modern trash site today,had some iron as well.
This unit comparing to other units I have ran,,for these type of sites,,,this unit gets top marks.

Really does give a lot of info,,multi- dimensional info to make decisions to dig or not.
Handles bottle caps well,,and even gives clues differentiating zincolns from aluminum twist caps.

Lightning fast,,11" coil in reactive 4 has an eagle eye here in the trash for higher conductive items.

Super impressed today with unit.
Would take over a Deus wearing any sized coil in this type of site.

Nickel window can be established with detector,,with appropriate tone assigned.

This detector for whatever reason seems even via tone nuance (along with ID) a nickel killer.

Would use this unit hunting beside anyone running a Minelab CTX any day of the week in sites loaded with modern trash using 11" coils on both.

Took Rutus unit to a modern trash site today,had some iron as well.
This unit comparing to other units I have ran,,for these type of sites,,,this unit gets top marks.

Really does give a lot of info,,multi- dimensional info to make decisions to dig or not.
Handles bottle caps well,,and even gives clues differentiating zincolns from aluminum twist caps.

Lightning fast,,11" coil in reactive 4 has an eagle eye here in the trash for higher conductive items.

Super impressed today with unit.
Would take over a Deus wearing any sized coil in this type of site.

Nickel window can be established with detector,,with appropriate tone assigned.

This detector for whatever reason seems even via tone nuance (along with ID) a nickel killer.

Would use this unit hunting beside anyone running a Minelab CTX any day of the week in sites loaded with modern trash using 11" coils on both.

Thanks for the report, just what I was waiting to hear.

Back
Top Bottom