Are older White's detectors worth buying? Are they inferior?

I started out with an older White's. A buddy loaned it to me for a year or so. I think it was a Coinmaster, but I may be wrong. Anyway, I was tickled pink with some of the finds: a gold ring, some coins (all clad, but still fun!), and some atifacts from the farm from the early 1900's. I also learned to love their Customer Service. I ordered an owner's manual for it, and they sent me one free. The same manual that buyers got years before when they bought one new. I think anyone that buys a used White's will be very happy. I have two DFX's now. Good luck! Curt

If it has the black box then it may not be all that old. As for those who say the classic III isnt as good.... it really isnt all that different just minus the analog needle. I used to have a classic 3 SL with the 950 coil and except for the size and weight its a really good detector that got some impressive depth.

You did good!!

Let's face it you can 't find a decent detector for that price and a whites to boot way to go:grin:

Older White's Metal Detectors

:yes: I cut my teeth on pop's old White's "Goldmaster". Found an 1878 silver trade dollar with it next to an old house porch. Found a Civil War bayonet and a Saber pommel in the old wagon road bed that cut through our farm. Thought that old detector couldn't be beat until I went detecting with an old friend of mine on the Third Winchester Battlefield for the first time in the early eighties. He was using a 6000 DI Pro. We were hunting a large field that had been plowed over the years. Al was digging bullets 6-10" deep with his 6000. The old Goldmaster would not give me a signal at that depth. So then I had to go spend all my savings on White's new 6000DI Pro series 3. At first this machine took some getting used to, but after awhile we became best of friends. We walked circles around Winchester's numerous battlefields. I got so in tune with that machine by the tone and analog meter that I could actually 90% of the time tell what it was before I dug. Together we dug a total of 32 belt plates in about 5 years time. Dug 4 plates in one day with it. Depth? I dug the prettiest green U.S. puppy paw out of an old fort that was a measured 18" deep. The old 6000 had one major setback. It would literally wear you out after a day's hunting. That's one reason I sold the old girl. Wish now I still had that old machine. Since then I have tried just about every "Top Of The Line" Whites model that has come out. I now own a DFX. But you know what? I just can't get used to all the digital bells & whistles with umteen buttons to push. These new machines you just can't get personal with. They're programmable robot's. I remember when you hit a good target with the old 6000 that analog meter would lock up tight as a drum and wouldn't move a bit. Just like a good coon dog on tree. Try getting the same digital number every time you sweep over a target with on of these new machines. It will vary 1-2-3 numbers each time. I believe it was a major mistake on White's part to discontinue the analog machines. I am thinking seriously about trading back in time. Never did have a 6000 Sl Pro. I might try one of those.

I bought one of the 6000Di's from Kellyco when they first came out. The old blue model with the first target ID. It was my first modern machine. I had been using a Fisher 555 VLF/TR until then. I loved that detector but ended up selling it so that I could get the Teknetics 9000 that I still use today. It had the target ID and the first audio ID. Both invented by George Payne who worked for Whites before he started Teknetics. That old Di was heavy, so I got the hip-mount kit for it. A lot easier to use than my XLT.

How much is the market valve for a White's 6000/di pro sl ?

I have a Classic III and my friend has an older 6000/DI sitting in his house. It was his fathers (he passed away) and my friend has NO interest in detecting. How do the older units like this one compare with what I have now? Can they detect as deep and are they as sensitive. Can anybody weigh in on whether this detector would be worth investing in, or should I just let the deal slide? I haven't suggested a price yet, but would like to know if compared to my Classic if it would be inferior as a backup to my Classic. I don't want to not end up bringing it anywhere.
Thanks~

I have an old White's 6000/DI PRO SL and I want to sell it. so whats a good price to ask?

whites classic II SL any good?

I found one in what appears to be really good shape at a garage sale for 7 bucks.

I need the battery compartment to put the AA's in so I haven't been able to test it yet. Is this a good one for my son he is turning 7 (hmmm that's ironic I just noticed that)?

What can it do, is it just for coins is it worth any type of upgrade,etc.

Any info would be appreciated thanks...

I differ, stay away from the PrizmIII at $75 or $50 :lol:

Go for a used Garret Ace250 or Fisher F2 or Bounty Hunter 505 or a Tesoro or a starter Tecknetics.

Anything but those Prizm, although the Prizm VI is ok but too expensive

Have the opportunity to purchase!

I have the opportunity to purchase a whites coinmaster 4000 D series 3 (blue box) metal detector (seller says - barely used) comes with white headphones for $30 - I am an extreme newbie, however have been fascinated with the idea of metal detectors...so needless to say, this would be my first detector. Is this detector a good one for me just starting out? Is $30 a good price for it? Any help you could give would be appreciated!!

Also, I found someone else selling a Bounty Hunter fast tracker for $30 as well. Again, I am completely new to this, just starting out the only thing I know is they look different, and one is older than the other haha! Your help is GREATLY appreciated!

There great machines ...

And I've owned a lot of Whites in the past and they'll get the job done . I think the best thing about the newer units is that some can numerically ID the object without "nulling" the area around the object . That's the reason I believe for all the nickles being found . As for less being found today that only because as the hobby grows so do the people finding coins and that equals less found in public areas . Just wanted to add this . This is one of the reasons the newer machines are better , they all go deep . The biggest improvement is in the electronics .
IMHO , Woodstock

Either detector can and will find old coins in the right conditions. Neither is even a close match to todays technology. These detectors were pretty high end for the time, but even todays entry level detector will out perform it in most conditions.

It is funny this thread has popped up, I have been a die hard Whites 6000Di guy for almost 30 years and have owned at least a half dozen units. Cannot say that I have ever had a problem with one.
I am now jumping back into detecting after a couple years off and have to say I am amazed at how far the technology has come. I have a AT Pro, ACE 350 and now an ACE 250 as well as a Delta 4000.
Can The whites keep up with them? Well probably but the big issue is the weight. Why lug around 8-10lbs when you can get by with 2.5. Also the DD coils seem to be a godsend when trying to separate targets and that is not even taking into account the number of batteries the older units take.
I am kinda sad to say that I have a guy coming by this week to buy my last 6000Di. I have a couple extra coils I will be throwing on the classifieds. I also just sold my Garrett Grand master hunter 7 which was the Garrets answer to the Whites and a great answer it was!
As I get older I guess I have found that less is more, less time retrieving targets, less weight, less moving parts. I guess I have finally moved into the 20th century (now that it is the 21st century!)

Macdaddy, I picked up a 6000/Di PRO SL for $220. I was looking for an XL PRO, but they run considerably more. How does the PRO SL stack up against the XL PRO? Anybody else want to weigh in here? I think the SL has pretty much the same options as the XL, the only differance seems to be it uses smaller batteries and is a little lighter in weight.
Comments?

You made a really good deal on the 6000 di pro. Don't let anyone fool you. They will keep up with almost any of the new detectors out there now and actually the old analog meters are in a lot of ways better than the newer digital meters.

Back
Top Bottom