Golf Course Anyone ?

I detect one and have found some cool finds there! The sand traps seems to have coins, the fairways too... but most coins and items I've found were in the shady places people might take a break and park their golf carts.

Thanks to all for the great info. I know nothing about golf. will give it a try tomorrow.

Thanks to all for the great info. I know nothing about golf. will give it a try tomorrow.

I golfed for years. Just let me know where you're at and I'll help ya out, lol.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Forget that it was a golf course for a while. WHAT was it before it became a golf course? I hunted one in the middle of Salt Lake City. It became a golf course in 1926.

What it was before that was the amazing part. It was an amusement park. Well over 100 Barber dimes, 6 Barber halves, a few Barber quarters and SLQ, not one but two pristine 1926S mercs and of course the main coin I ever found in it was this little 1893 CC eagle.

I am back in Utah temporarily now and hope to hit it before the summer season. I did find newer coins but very few. I believe used as ball markers.

I would try it in a heartbeat. Maybe untouched.

Someone once told me to try to find the area where the caddies hung out...generally there was a vending machine and smoking and gambling in that area!
Mud

Good luck and happy hunting!

Our local course closed a couple of years ago. Trying to figure out how to work out a permission on that property (privately owned). Hoping our city buys it, if I can't procure permission, which will make it fair(way) game! :yes:

I hunt on a local course where I live. It is still operating, though. I do have to be careful about when I go out - never on weekends or during events. I usually go out during the slack times, and I do try to stay out of the fairways, if there are people playing. I've found a lot of clad, late 60's forward, but one nice '43 Mercury. This course was only built in '65, so not a lot of really old stuff.

You may find a lot of coins around the greens that look like this.
People drop them and the greens mower chops them up.
IMG_0518.jpg
IMG_0521.jpg

If you have never walked a golf course like me before, it big . This one has two old ponds with cypress trees in it. Plus trying to detect it might take months . hope to post my finds . mostly sliver coins.

If you have never walked a golf course like me before, it big . This one has two old ponds with cypress trees in it. Plus trying to detect it might take months . hope to post my finds . mostly sliver coins.

Yep, a typical course will give you a 5 mile walk.

When you start detecting, remember that most people would have been traveling along the cart paths (if they are still exist), or down the middle of the fairways. Around the tee boxes, look in particular on the side that is adjacent to the cart paths. At the greens, look all around the front of the green, and then, concentrate on the side adjacent to the cart path. People that are riding, tend to drop a lot of stuff between the golf cart path, and the tee boxes, and between the golf cart path, and the green. It would help to have a knowledge of the game, or to have a golfer along with you, for sure.

Would I hunt an old golf course? Nah. Not unless you like finding things like this. Same day at an old golf course. Ended up with $1.70 face value in silver that day.
20170115_125721.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Sounds like prime hunting grounds. I bet the water traps have a few items as well.

I once saw a fella shank three balls in a row on the 18th fairway near the club house and get so pissed off he took his bag, clubs and all and heaved it into the drink on a course in the azores.

He turned to us and said if you want them there ours. About three minutes later he came back and we asked if he changed his mind, without a word he stomped into waist deep water, fished around for a moment, grabbed the bag, unzipped a side pocket and pulled his wallet and car keys out. Never said a word and never saw him again.

I still have the clubs... :laughing:

Back
Top Bottom