Who gets to keep what I find?

I’ve hunted dozens of yards and I honestly don’t ever recall an owner asking for finds.
I also never mention the word dig or digging upon introduction.

A farmer asked me to detect on a hill in one of his fields, he thought that there may have been a house there many years ago. As I was heading out he says that if I find a jar of gold coins I'd have to share it. I just replied that I'd certainly share, he could have the jar :)
Don't think there ever was a house on that spot but I did find a harmonica reed.

The few times I hunted a permission, an agreement was reached ahead of time that I could keep any coins that I dug. What's the point of hunting a permission if you have to give all finds to the land owner?

I have offered to give up all finds to a landowner, not a big deal to me. After all, how many bottle caps and mercury dimes does a guy need?

This thread got me thinking. I've already been over my yard many times with different detectors, but what would I do if someone knocked on my door asking if they could detect on my property with a CTX3030?

This thread got me thinking. I've already been over my yard many times with different detectors, but what would I do if someone knocked on my door asking if they could detect on my property with a CTX3030?

Ask them if in exchange you could detect on their property :lol:

I will just leave this right here.
https://metaldetectingforum.com/showthread.php?t=275157

I learned a very valuable lesson that day. I offer nothing,but ask if they know of any identifiable jewelry or trinkets that they may have been lost in their yard. This puts them at ease that I am not there to "steal" anything. Some folks ask to see what I found, and if they do, I show them the wheats, the junk and the clad. This confirms their opinion that I wasted my time and that there was nothing of interest or value in their yard.

The few times I hunted a permission, an agreement was reached ahead of time that I could keep any coins that I dug. What's the point of hunting a permission if you have to give all finds to the land owner?

excellent point! couched in common sense i would say! i got time,BUT "not"
that much time to be told that i have to give it all to the land owner!..ehe! heh! he! i'm just sayin'

(h.h.!)
j.t.

I will just leave this right here.
https://metaldetectingforum.com/showthread.php?t=275157

I learned a very valuable lesson that day. I offer nothing,but ask if they know of any identifiable jewelry or trinkets that they may have been lost in their yard. This puts them at ease that I am not there to "steal" anything. Some folks ask to see what I found, and if they do, I show them the wheats, the junk and the clad. This confirms their opinion that I wasted my time and that there was nothing of interest or value in their yard.

"smart!" and precisely what i would do! show 'em the "!!!!!"and they can think anything they want! ehe! heh! he! i'm just sayin'

(h.h.!)
j.t.

Depends. My rule has been: I will put you, the owner, in touch with the property's past. You get ALL antiques and relics such as old tools, antique toys, etc. I tell them that although the mineralized soils tend to eat the metal on coins and generally they come up worthless to coin collectors, I like finding old coins just for the old dates(which I do). I also show them examples of relics and/or toys found and given to landowners. Use your cellphone to store pics of those finds that are cool nut not on YOUR target list and show it to them. Often that is a positive trigger for them to allow you to hunt.
It really depends on who owns the property. There's always a chance there is a young person living there who might be interested in tagging along with you or even doing a little prospecting themselves. I always carry a long and Extra metal detector in case the owner wants to have the fun I'm looking for things themselves if they have the opportunity to go with me on any particular day. I know not everyone has an assortment of metal detectors. But everyone should have a spare for that good buddy or friend that you have the good tag along with you and make detecting more fun!

Sent from my SM-J737A using Tapatalk

I think Richie has some good thoughts. For me, it totally depends on the type of property and the historical significance of the property. If I had the chance to detect some place like the local Marcus Daly Mansion here in Hamilton Montana, I would donate EVERYTHING to the mansion to be put on display, and might even get an "archie" (heaven forbid!:)) to document the finds and their history / location on the property.

The "in between" would be something like hunting a historic house, Civil War battlefield on private property, or the like. Work out something agreeable to you and the property owner in advance.

At the other end of the spectrum, if it is just a typical 1930's home front yard, then if the homeowner wants to invest $500-$1500 for a decent metal detector, spend a year or two learning how to really use it well, then sure, they can recover and keep the 3 silver dimes worth $5, the Buffalo Nickel worth 10 cents, and some wheat pennies and modern coins in the yard. When asking permission, if a homeowner seriously asks "What's in this for me?" I politely thank them for their time, and move on. Most folks could care less about what is in their yard. They give the ok, and then go back to watching TV or head out to run errands. I do share some of my metal detecting finds with the homeowner IF they are interested, and the coins and relics are of MY choosing. The homeowner would go to their grave never having the motivation or interest in coins or relics until I came along to ask, so I feel that the choice of items to keep are mine for doing the research, having the skill and expertise to locate said items, and having the equipment to safely recover the items.

Of course, detecting is a ton of fun no matter what type we do, but don't sell yourself short in terms of having some great items for YOU to keep for your hard work and efforts! Good luck with your hunt!

"At the other end of the spectrum, if it is just a typical 1930's home front yard, then if the homeowner wants to invest $500-$1500 for a decent metal detector, spend a year or two learning how to really use it well, then sure, they can recover and keep the 3 silver dimes worth $5, the Buffalo Nickel worth 10 cents, and some wheat pennies and modern coins in the yard."

Or, look at it from the owner's perspective-

You could buy your own 1930s home with front yard and detect it all you want.

I played that game with people who asked for permission to deer and turkey hunt on my property. Only thing I got out of it was getting screwed, so no permissions anymore.

Look at it from all perspectives.

Back
Top Bottom