Best home defense weapon?

Hard to beat a Benelli short barreled automatic.. any burglar comes here gonna have a bad day.. :laughing:

Hey guys I’m moving to an area that I’d consider not the greatest in Michigan and I’d like to buy something to defend myself and house with that isn’t a gun. I’m not against guns just not in the position to afford one and that’s something I’d more than likely get later on in life, I’m only 18. Links appreciated thanks all.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Presa Canario

Attachments

• FC2E765B-3E99-4EEC-9101-374A87E99396.jpg
    FC2E765B-3E99-4EEC-9101-374A87E99396.jpg
    83.6 KB · Views: 141
  • A27034A1-B28E-4F6A-AB3C-6B55B6BA13F0.jpg
    A27034A1-B28E-4F6A-AB3C-6B55B6BA13F0.jpg
    55.9 KB · Views: 135
  • 0E8D929C-19CA-478C-A467-67FF9F7BF967.jpeg
    0E8D929C-19CA-478C-A467-67FF9F7BF967.jpeg
    31 KB · Views: 132
  • 018AD412-6F98-479E-AC0F-014AD7C217AD.jpeg
    018AD412-6F98-479E-AC0F-014AD7C217AD.jpeg
    43.8 KB · Views: 137
I have a Nest brand security camera system. Pretty cool. I can access them from any device, wherever I'm at, and it records up to 10 days of footage. It notifies my phone when it detects movement.

That being said, I could have bought 2 cheap shotguns for the same price. Get a Mossberg 500 or Remington 870. Both can be had for around $300.

I have a Nest brand security camera system. Pretty cool. I can access them from any device, wherever I'm at, and it records up to 10 days of footage. It notifies my phone when it detects movement.

That being said, I could have bought 2 cheap shotguns for the same price. Get a Mossberg 500 or Remington 870. Both can be had for around $300.
VPN, no? Hacked.

That help, #1 shotgun is the best, short barrel #2 A large dog with a keen since of smell and great hearing, not a french poodle :laughing: #3 security camera's with motion, and night vision that notifies you directly to your cell phone at least 1080p, #4 Motion sensor's also help, when your sleeping a alarm will sound off , i have them in the garage. #5 training in Martial Art's , happy hunting. In closing most intruder's will be armed, will use what the have if confronted , arm yourself 1st by all mean's, if my house is entered , all the state need's to bring is a body bag, for the intruder , you see it more , and more, break in's , and the cop's finding dead home owner's , it only take's one event, than your 6 foot under.
“Where are the twinkies?”

Hey guys I’m moving to an area that I’d consider not the greatest in Michigan and I’d like to buy something to defend myself and house with that isn’t a gun. I’m not against guns just not in the position to afford one and that’s something I’d more than likely get later on in life, I’m only 18. Links appreciated thanks all.

m18 claymore

In all seriousness, a dog is a good weapon/alarm system and pepper spray is good as long as you get it on your intended target and not you (or dog). Martial arts and a firearm are what I would suggest though (along with dog).

Every perp knows the sound of a round being chambered in a pump action shotgun and the sound of a double Barrell shotgun being closed

the short barreled shotgun is the best home defense made Load it with OO buckshot.

You can get a mossberg maverick shotgun 12ga for around $200. Could also look used... keep in mind you need to keep in mind securing said shotgun when away from home. You could get pepper spray for < $ but ...

Every perp knows the sound of a round being chambered in a pump action shotgun and the sound of a double Barrell shotgun being closed

the short barreled shotgun is the best home defense made Load it with OO buckshot.
My thoughts exactly !
but if you can't purchase a firearm yet,
the best in home weapon would be a Louisville slugger !
I had one years ago, I'd use out in the woods coon hunting.
I wrapped up some barbed wire fencing around the barrel of the bat.
It looked much like "NEEGANS bat LUCILLE from " THE WALKING DEAD" show.
Except for my bat was Louisville slugger, wooden, soft ball bat, blue in color.
I had also modified it by driving some 20d penny nails through the barrel.
It looked like a mid-evil mace!

My thoughts exactly !
but if you can't purchase a firearm yet,
the best in home weapon would be a Louisville slugger !
I had one years ago, I'd use out in the woods coon hunting.
I wrapped up some barbed wire fencing around the barrel of the bat.
It looked much like "NEEGANS bat LUCILLE from " THE WALKING DEAD" show.
Except for my bat was Louisville slugger, wooden, soft ball bat, blue in color.
I had also modified it by driving some 20d penny nails through the barrel.
It looked like a mid-evil mace!

The nails are likely to get to get stuck in bone. That is the reason that a medieval spiked flail and/or a mace had short tapered spikes. Plenty of bone crushing effect, but won't get stuck. Useful for strike after strike.

Long term cost of a dog is more than a gun. And a dog needs consistent attention and maintenance for years. But A dog does it's job whether or not you are home, unlike a gun. Cameras record evidence when you are away, unlike a dog.

I am a gun salesman at a local sport shop, so it goes without saying that I encourage guns for home defense. But honestly, dogs guns and a good camera/alarm system all work well together to provide a good multi level safety system. Each one can be useful, none are perfect by themselves, but all together they do a great job.

If you can only afford one right now, it is really a tossup. If you are more concerned for your safety while your home, either a dog or a gun. If it is more of a concern for your property while you are not home, a dog or a security system is a good choice.

Keep in mind that a security system is a passive defense, not an active defense. That means that if someone is intent on breaking in/harming you, it only records evidence and calls police. Sometimes bad people aren't deterred by security systems.

Martin

Mine were 1080p, you could hook them up wireless, but you still need to plug them in, they were nice, i had mine wired to the router , down loads to the security camera site, i had a micro 32 SD - in the front of the house , and a 16 in the back as the action was much less, both set at motion, this house is much bigger, i really don't want a box type, i need at least 10 camera's here 64 or bigger micro SD - will last two weeks, both cameras roll when the chip gets filled it just over writes the old shot's, i liked the set up, i was looking at Lorex , however along time ago i herd the night vision wasn't so good, i had Sharx at the old house, never had a issue with them, all billet aluminum casing, with a SD micro slot , had the 4 mil lens wide view, here i have all most two acre's, it's the drilling holes thing , and limited router port's , might go DVR this time , putting the box were it wont be found might be possible , than again i still haven't decided . Motion sensor's are here, how ever they do no good when your not home, that' s were the dog comes in to play , and camera's. Better technology is out like 2k and 4k , however the better the picture quality , the more DVR and or larger SD card required, so the question is 1080 is all you really need, some settle with 720, happy hunting , Earl PS i would have taken them with the sale of the old house , but the couple who bought it , wanted them :roll:, any way happy now.

Tips

Get a large dog like a German Shepard. My place was burglarized but I never had any more trouble after I got my German Shepard. He wouldn't even let the guy who gave him to me near.
Peanut, our 2 year old GSD (who turns 3 in 4 days), is a great guard dog. She has always been protective of her owners, and is not afraid to bark/growl at anyone she doesn't know. :D

#1 shotgun is the best, short barrel #2 A large dog with a keen since of smell and great hearing, not a french poodle :laughing: #3 security camera's with motion, and night vision that notifies you directly to your cell phone at least 1080p...
I definitely agree with you, especially on the first 3. :rifle:

If any of you know of women who live alone here is a neat tip I read online in the past, tell them to put a pair of worn, dirty, size 15 men's work boots on the front porch next to the front door along with a pile of old issues of gun magazines.

The men's boots will make a perp think a husband who wears size 15 boots and likes guns is at home ! :shock:
That would work! :D

One thing that is very effective and free is just one crazy old Man in the neighborhood...Some old guy who sleeps maybe 4hrs per day, generally an afternoon nap, and then as a hobby makes it his business to keep an eye out on the neighborhood and be on patrol at all hours...

We had an old guy like that once, named Cotton. He carried around some vintage .38 Colt, listened to the police scanner for entertainment...He would sit out in his garage all day long with the big door open listening to that scanner and sharpening a lawn mower blade or straightening out bent nails or the various other things Old Guys tend to do...,

He was also the 'Go To' guy in the neighborhood for any kind of advice or project, weather forcast, historical chat, etc...(This was before Youtube) Anyway, Cotton was very paranoid, suspicious of every strange car or person, which made him a perfect fit in his chosen hobby of being the self appointed neighborhood sentry...Little wiry fellow, high energy and focus..All he ever wanted to do is just catch somebody doing wrong or provide advice on a specific project.

He was born without collar bones, so he didnt have any shoulders, it was as if his neck went down to his waist..Without shoulders, he couldnt keep a tee shirt up for nothing! It would slide down around his hips like a skirt! He wore overalls with a belt!...Lots of good stories about Cotton I should write down someday..He was like a walking set of Popular Mechanics and Foxfire...

Nobody ever had any theft problem when Cotton was around! Not even the Neighbors kids dared try anything naughty!! I might become Cotton someday...I gotta lot of coffee cans full of bent nails that need a straightening!:laughing:

Last edited:

I disagree with the break action statement, but fully support the pump statement.

Ummmm, no. 00 buck is far too much. Penetration is too great, and for ANY projectile that misses the intended target, you are still responsible for the damage. It's best if you use something like 7-1/2 birdshot. It's been found that birdshot, even from a 12 gauge, will penetrate slightly more than a single layer of 1/2 inch plywood. If you live in an apartment situation, and miss your target, now you just might have hurt your neighbor, who's completely innocent of anything. Even the "puny" .22 can go through 2 layers of ply.

My personal suggestion; I agree with the short barrelled shotgun, (not less than 18.5 inches), loaded with rubber ball round, 7.5 birdshot, then slug. This way, with a "less-than-lethal" round being first out of the barrel, you're covered from a legal standpoint. If the perp keeps coming after that, well then, he deserves what's coming next. Above all, have the mindset to actually pull the trigger! There's too many statistics that show the homeowner being harmed by their own weapon because they couldn't bring themselves to actually fire it.
If you're renting a house, keep close shrubs and bushes trimmed back, and have good exterior lighting. Good locks, including deadbolts, and a dog. No, not a little rat-looking thing, but not necessarily a Pit or Dobie, either.
When not at home, leave a tv or radio turned on, just loud enough to be heard through the exterior door. This gives a perp the sense that there might be someone at home.

Just my 2 cents.....Roger

Booby-traps or traps set for people are a felony, Mud. Don't get caught doing it, or you won't have to worry about any other invaders than your new bunkmate....Tyrone. View attachment 416383

Thats a valid point there Longhair...especially since now a days even a burglar probably has a cell phone and could dial 911 with one free hand...No doubt would after a few minutes of struggling unsuccessfully to get free of a 220 Conibear thats wired through the back of a dresser drawer to a wall stud...I will admit I have not considered that scenario and will have to modify the "Aunt Jemima Treatment" to keep up with the technological times...

Yeah..my old plan did not involve any official Police interaction or possible legal repercussions...It was just me and my captured Burglar, having a conversation like two adults, coming to an agreement...

The bummer is a guy cant have anything nice anymore, cant even have a bank account or CC for the risk of ID theft and a total loss of 'safe money'...that seems to be the best way to steal from someone nowadays...electronically! No face to face with a dog or a camera or a shotgun...low risk and a pretty high chance of reward...

A guy cant have a nice car or wear rich looking clothes or anything...a guy has to camoflage and adopt a heat signature of real pisspoorness to survive unnoticed as a potentially viable target...Both on paper and in real Life visual assessments...so yeah, just dont have anything worth a Tinkers cuss and do not look like you might is the best defense...I got that base covered natural, and thats just to keep off the Inlaws!! :laughing:

A random burglar would be a welcome visitor here...somebody new to talk to for a little anyway...

One problem with bats and clubs is you have to be close to use them, it's a lot easier for a bad guy to take them away from you and use them on you. Bear spray might be a consideration, but nothing will work as well as a pump shotgun, pistol is a close second IMO. Spend a couple hundred bucks now on a decent shotgun. It will last you a lifetime

One problem with bats and clubs is you have to be close to use them, it's a lot easier for a bad guy to take them away from you and use them on you. Bear spray might be a consideration, but nothing will work as well as a pump shotgun, pistol is a close second IMO. Spend a couple hundred bucks now on a decent shotgun. It will last you a lifetime

Close Quarters in the dark in your own house you got the upper hand with a club....do not swing, you carry low and stabNjab....Even outside in the open in the broad daylight, a guy with a axe handle will certainly overcome anybody with a knife, and half the guys with a sidearm at 20' or less for sure...

Cops know this, close Quarters contact...a gun is no good against a knife, a knife is no good against a club...a freaking club disables about anybody with an upper stab kind of quick punch method...

Shotguns just make one hell of a mess indoors, plus, being woken up at 3am from a deep sleep in a panic due to a strange noise is no time to be reaching for any kind of firearm...a guys mind is in sheer panic survival mode and tragic accidents happen...

I would agree..a shotgun/firearm, if a guy lived 200yrs ago and didnt have a Wife or Kids or a dog or anything else...Not now though...Being able to navigate a domicile in the dark with a club for stabbing and jabbing?...about nothing is getting through here...a guy should be able to navigate his own home in the dead dark...physically practice, mentally prepare, get a little guard dog and sleep easy...

Attachments

• pimay.jpg
    pimay.jpg
    34.5 KB · Views: 114
Shotguns just make one hell of a mess indoors, plus, being woken up at 3am from a deep sleep in a panic due to a strange noise is no time to be reaching for any kind of firearm...a guys mind is in sheer panic survival mode and tragic accidents happen....
Clint Smith knows a thing or two about weaponscraft, as he's been an instructor for 40yrs, and his take on home defense with a shotgun is worth paying attention to. He tells it like it is.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dbqe7idEcLM

Back
Top Bottom