• Forum server maintanace Friday night.(around 7PM Centeral time)
    Website will be off line for a short while.

You may need to log out, log back in after we're back online.

Lost Charger for Excalibur, Please HELP!

accteam

Hello,

I own the Excalibur. I got the unit about 5 or 7 years ago and it worked great. I had to stop detecting for awhile because of some back operations. Now that I finally got my back kinda fixed I want to start detecting again. I was able to find my detector, but I'm not sure if the plug that plugs into the wall outlet, is the correct one. I found a few in a draw and I don't know which one goes to the adapter that plugs into the battery.

The first one reads on the back,
'Thomson'
Class 2 Transformer
Model: PC-1920-DUL
Input: ACT120V 60Hz 6W
Output: DC19V 200mA

The second one reads,
'Maxim'
Class 2 Power Supply
Model: MA410611
Input: 120VAC 60Hz 11W
Output: 6VAC @1100mA

If the above plugs are not the correct ones, please let me know what they should read on the back, because I might still be able to find the correct one and/or I also might have one that may not be made by Minelab but might have the correct ratings and I could use it to charge the battery. I have the small adapter that screws into the back of the battery, just in case if you are wondering and I only need to know about the correct wall outlet plug to use.

I truly hope someone will be able to help me. I was so looking forward to going out hunting again. Please help me out on this one. And if I don't have the correct plug, just let me know the correct rating range I can use, meaning example:

Don't use anything with an 'Output: 10V 1500mA'

Thanks
:)

I can offer some clues that may help. I do not own an Excaliber, I have an Explorer II. I was considering the purchase of an Excal but have changed my mind. I am very knowledgeable when it comes to charging batteries.

1. I don't know whether you have a pack containing individual cells such as AA's or you have a sealed factory pack. If you have a sealed factory battery, chances are that it is no longer serviceable if it has sat for a year or two. NICADS (Nickel Cadmium) are meant to be stored in a state of discharge @ .6 Volts. per cell, and should be cycled ( charged and discharged once or twice a year). NIMH's (Nickel Hydride) are meant to be stored fully charged, and topped off once a year.

2. Look at the charger plug that plugs into the battery, and make sure the polarity is correct.

3. Determine the capacity of the pack. Example: I use 8 AA 2500 Mah cells the capacity is 2500 Milliamps per cell, or "C"

4. A normal SLOW charge rate would be 1/10 "C" or using the above example, 250 Ma. for 10 hours. To insure a full charge due to electrical pressure you could safely increase the charge time by 20% for a total of 12 hours.

5. Both of the chargers that you list, do not seem correct. the 1st has an output of 19 volts which seems way too high. The second is AC output ??
Batteries are DC!!!! I think you should have a charger rated at 12 - 14 Volts DC, and due to the age of the unit, and the type of battery technology from 5 years ago, probably 100 -150 Ma. output.

6. You can buy a universal charger/power supply at Radio Shack with universal plugs for less than $20 depending on the output and voltage. Some are selectable. The female charge jack on your battery pack will have an icon showing its polarity. Just make sure that you connect everything properly. You should also match the charger output voltage to that of the battery.

7. I believe there is a waterproof battery pack for the Excal. used for alkylines. Do yourself a favor and get one. Use individual rechargeable cells and just buy yourself a decent charger. I have 3 sets of Eveready 2500 Mah. AA NIMH cells (8 per set). I spent about $14 per set, and will get at least 5 years of use from them. I average 14 - 16 hours of swing time without even comming close to tripping my low battery alarm. Get the NIMH cells, as they can be topped off any time. NICAD cells must be fully discharged before recharge or they will develop a "memory", which is a form of cell damage.

Hope all this helps!!!!!!!!!

Bill T.

Definitely not the one with output of 6VAC. The Excalibur seems to use an 8 cell battery pack so the output on the other one is bit too high. If you can find a charger with an output of 12 -14 volts DC and around 100 mA you should be fine.

Voriax

Back
Top Bottom