Has anyone tried this SOG shovel?

I have one that was part of a package deal offered by SOG a few years back. I thought it would be great for detecting. It’s quite small compared to the standard issue GI entrenching tool and I dont think it would hold up as your main shovel. Frankly I’m surprised SOG sells them! I own several SOG products and am happy with all but this shovel. It’s just not a quality made shovel.

I've looked at many options over the years, the folding feature is cool, but these look too flimsy and much wider than we need, at least for coinshooting in yards and parks.

If you are going to go with a folding shovel I would choose a genuine military issue. I have a couple that I keep in my car in case I get stuck but I think that they are a little wide for detecting. Most copies are junk and will bend. I use an 18" Sampson for detecting.

If you are going to go with a folding shovel I would choose a genuine military issue. I have a couple that I keep in my car in case I get stuck but I think that they are a little wide for detecting. Most copies are junk and will bend. I use an 18" Sampson for detecting.

I agree with Silversmith45. A genuine issue shovel is a tough piece of equipment.

Let me add to my comment above.

I use a Lesche Sampson T-Handle 31" long and built like a tank! They also make an 18" version.

If you want to go for price you might look at the Compact Shovel at Lowes. Listed at $9.98. These are similar to the shovels you see in tons of youtube videos by pondguru, The Hoover Boys and others.

Hope this helps!

Attachments

• IMG_2529.jpg
    IMG_2529.jpg
    24.5 KB · Views: 572
Last edited:
Let me add to my comment above.

I use a Lesche Sampson T-Handle 31" long and built like a tank! They also make an 18" version.

If you want to go for price you might look at the Compact Shovel at Lowes. Listed at $9.98. These are similar to the shovels you see in tons of youtube videos by pondguru, The Hoover Boys and others.

Hope this helps!

I have always felt that along with the GI entrenching tool, those shovels are too wide for digging finds. They also draw attention to what you are doing.

Ok, thanks for the info....I have one of these shovels that I got for my son for camping....but didn't know if it would be worthwhile to have. It is a bit wide, so I'll get one for the car as an emergency tool :)

Don't buy the SOG

I purchased one thinking it would be a good little digger. Two hours in my first hunt, it bent. The handle never truly locks down and if you are going through some tough dirt or roots, it will snap back and bite you.

I purchased one thinking it would be a good little digger. Two hours in my first hunt, it bent. The handle never truly locks down and if you are going through some tough dirt or roots, it will snap back and bite you.

Better known as a POS shovel ! LoL :lol:

Sog has put their name on some cheap knives. That looks like a cheap copy of the military one. I Have a real one in the trunk. It works great as an occasional shovel. I spend most of my time clad stabbing the local park and don't need a shovel except for the occasional trip to the woods.

My buddy had one and wrecked it in two minutes,bent right over. I can’t speak for genuine entrenching shovels cuz I’ve never had one. The Sampson’s are built the way they are because it’s designed specifically for what the park hunters do. I also have the compact shovel but never use it. I’m always really using the Sampson to it’s limits,but it hasn’t failed me yet! It’s a hell of a shovel...

Back
Top Bottom