• Forum server maintanace Friday night.(around 7PM Centeral time)
    Website will be off line for a short while.

You may need to log out, log back in after we're back online.

Besides MD'ing does anybody gold pan?

There's gold in York PA...I'm sure my Dad's property has some. Classic signs for it: shale, schist, mica, with quartz intrusions...if you see that you have gold. I need to pan a stream on his land just for kicks. Basically no nuggets mostly flakes round in York from what I have read.

There is gold found in almost all lower 48 States. In NY it is just south and slightly east of Buffalo, where the glacial morains stopped. It will mostly be fine flour gold but you never know until you try.
I have been a weekend prospector for 26 years and have searched and found gold in CA, NV and AZ.

There are some guys who hit one of the rivers a couple hours from me here in Nebraska. Apparently they occasionally get some color, but mostly in flour form. I have always wanted to try it though.

I joined the GPAA earlier this year with the intention of doing some prospecting/camping family outings this summer (part of the reason I bought the MXT) but haven't actually found any gold (yet).

Gold

Pictures speak volumes, so here are a couple... Washington is a good place to gold pan and dredge.
Richard

Attachments

• Good day panning.jpg
    Good day panning.jpg
    41.3 KB · Views: 1,129
  • Gold nuggets2.jpg
    Gold nuggets2.jpg
    55.5 KB · Views: 1,158
I just finished panning through the material that I brought back from Idaho. I cant wait to go back although I only get flakes there. I would love to go to Northern Cali for some nuggets :D

gold.

I'm about to do the same up here. We have a huge gold belt up here in Northern ontario, although very very very little placer gold. It's all hard rock.....still water levels are down and there are still many small veins to be found if you study your pans contents.

I may even hit up a few old mine sites with my detector looking for cast offs.

I have pans, sluice boxes, and some other gear. I went to VT last summer and we were finding tons of Black sand. and small flour flakes. (really hard to separate).

so I bought 3-4 bags of concentrate this winter and panned it. i ended up with almost 4.2 grams of gold.

I am ready to hit the brooks in VT/NH/ME this summer

I would, but geographically I'm in the wrong place. :bighanky:

VT, NH, and ME have gold, i assume some of the brooks rivers in the western part of Mass/the Berkshires hold placer gold..

Mass Gold:

"Until recently Massachusetts had been listed as one of the states with no reported placer gold. There are now three streams that I have worked and found gold. Two of them are within a few miles of the Vermont border in an area of Vermont where Professor Hitchcock of Yale University reported placer gold in a state survey publication about a hundred years ago. They are close to Route 5 just before it crosses the Vermont border.
The third of these Massachusetts brooks is roughly north of Litchfield County, Connecticut. This area of Massachusetts may be the source of
the gold in the most reliable Connecticut gold bearing stream. Leadmine Brook in Harwinton, Connecticut, has placer gold and it is believed that some of it moved into the watershed during the big floods following two hurricanes that stalled in New England in the early 1950's. "

Hopper Brook Placer Gold locality, Williamstown, Berkshire Co., Massachusetts, USA
Roaring Brook Placer Gold locality, Williamstown, Berkshire Co., Massachusetts, USA
Black Brook Placer Gold Locality, Savoy, Berkshire Co., Massachusetts, USA
Cold River Mineral Locality, Savoy, Berkshire Co., Massachusetts, USA

Windsor Brook Placer Gold Locality, Hinsdale, Berkshire Co., Massachusetts, USA

panning the sand of a small brook in Forest Park in Springfield, Massachusetts

Deerfield River, Mill River and the Westfield River.

Gould Brook Placer Gold Locality, Adams, Berkshire Co., Massachusetts, USA

A small gravelly stream in places where dust and rather small flakes of gold have been found. It is likely that this brook's sparse production is what prompted exploration of the Bellows Pipe site listed for Adams.
Chamberlain Copper Prospect (Windsor "Gold" Mine), Windsor, Berkshire Co., Massachusetts, USA

Lost: "Shallow shaft with drift" (?) Gold reported, but it appears to have been as microscopic grains in massive copper/iron sulfides.
Windsor Brook Placer Gold Locality, Windsor, Berkshire Co., Massachusetts, USA

Spans two topographic quadrangle maps and extends into Hinsdale. (See "Hinsdale" for the extension in that town.) Gold dust and small flakes reported.
Windsor Placer "Gold Mine", Windsor, Berkshire Co., Massachusetts, USA

Lost? This is probably the same as the Windsor Brook Placer Gold Deposit and its extension into the town of Hinsdale. In fact, it is most often cited as being in Hindsdale rather than Windsor. It has also been reported as being in the town of Peru, on an even further extension of the brook system. - Sounds like a case of "Take your pick." to me... :~}

http://www.delostooleauthor.com/yankeebk.html

http://goldminingandprospecting.blogspot.com/2011/01/gold-occurrences-in-massachusetts.html

http://www.streeter.org/community/modules.php?op=modload&name=XForum&file=viewthread&tid=42

http://www.streeter.org/community/modules.php?op=modload&name=News&file=article&sid=1150

http://www.stangrist.com/gold.htm

http://www.tomifobia.com/galexander/gold_panning.html

http://www.nytimes.com/1986/07/08/science/gold-lures-geologists-to-connecticut.html

Article about gold found in Connecticut 1.5 - 6 ounces per ton. Highest concentration in the world. I want to get out and pan some of the local streams, just for fun and am keeping my expectations low. Has anyone ever bought the classified concentrates that they sell online and through some of the magazines, and if so what have been your takes on it? Did you make your money back, make money on it..ect? What company would you recommend?

This seems like a great winter activity here in connecticut. Get 10 buckets of concentrate from local areas set aside during the warm months and then through the winter pan some here and there. Would have to keep a list of where the concentrates came from just in case I needed to go back to a certain spot.

Also as a side note I found a very nice little way to get 5 gallon buckets as long as you don't mind washing them. Bakeries get a lot of their frosting and such in 5 gallon buckets, and if you go ask they will give ya a stack of them or sell them for next to nothing. I heard this on a youtube video, so not my original idea. Wish I could remember who so I could give them credit.

yes, I do gold pan. mostly in cleer creak down in denver, nothing real big down there but theres plenty of fine gold in the gravel bars.

I will be in Cali for the next several weeks and have plans to go to Jamestown, CA and do some panning on a claim there. $25 for 5 hours on the claim and $25 to rent all equipment I will need sluice, shovel, buckets, classifier and pan. I sure hope I find some of that shiny gold stuff. If anyone knows of any places in north Cali let me know I will be in the Redding area for about a week or so also.

Preston

Corsianian, I love the display box too!! Very nice. Your brother should sell those to us! :)
Wow, what a wonderful claim! not only produces gold, but a wonderful get away paradise!!
HH and may there always be color in your pan!!!

Back
Top Bottom