San Francisco California beaches Local Help Needed

Ambam

Hi All!

I got a unique opportunity for work that involves traveling to San Francisco next week. I'm trying to determine if I can or should bring my detector. I'd love to hit a beach and say I've detected both the Pacific and Atlantic ocean ;)

I have determined that I can not detect any park that is considered part of the Golden Gate National recreation area (which is a lot the parks).
I know all state parks are off limits.
The county of San Mateo does not allow detecting in any parks.
I could not find anything specific for Pacifica (although it is in San Mateo) Nor the city of San Francisco itself on detecting (although almost all the shoreline I checked kept coming back as NPS land-no detecting).

Stinson park north of the GGNRA section can be detected, but as I won't have a vehicle would either take 2-3 hours on public transit or a prohibitively expensive cab trip.

Is anyone on here from California, and if so, do you know if there are any other beaches that are metal detector friendly in that area? I'm staying near Union Square and using public transportation (unless someone wants to meet up? ;) ). I'm not interested in something historic, fancy, etc. Just safe and quick (2-3 hour hunt max most likely, silly work conferences), all modern stuff is fine. Can anyone help me out? My google-fu is failing except for the above.

If I can't get a confirmed legal and easy to reach space to hunt, I'll just leave the equipment at home and explore Fishermans Wharf. I've gotten several restaurant suggestions :D

Thanks!!!!
Amba

When I lived up that way, I hunted Golden Gate Park a few times. Some old coins to be found there but the ground is so mineralized that it is quite a challenge.

Also the beach at Pacifica can be hunted, at least back then. Too bad you have no car, else the beaches at Santa Cruz and Monterey are quite nice.

Hi All! ....

Amba:

1) Do not confuse Golden Gate National Recreation Area (GGNRA) with Golden Gate park. Despite the similar names, they are not the same. SF city parks (including Golden Gate park) do not have any specific "no md'ing" rule.

Versus GGNRA which is federal. And no, GGNRA is not a "lot of the parks" . It is very few of them. Oh sure, it might cover the immediate beaches at the foot of the SF city coastline (right below the windmill areas of GGP) and some *certain* stretches north of SF), but ... not, it's not a lot of land-hunting "parks" area.

2) there's a dirty-little-secret that you will be hard-pressed to find anyone to say so much as "boo" to you, on GGNRA beaches anyhow. A possible exception is a certain stretch of Stinson beach (and I have a sneaking suspicion why). But at other portions of GGNRA, .... well .... I'll let your imagination take over.

3) If you're still skittish, there's other beaches that are not federal GGNRA. A color coded map will let you know state vs city vs fed vs county.

4) No, it is an urban legend wive's tale that "all state parks are off-limits". You can hunt state of CA beaches here till you're blue in the face.

If you want to get into minutia of grey-area verbiage about this, in-relation-to-State of CA beaches, we can. But for now, suffice it to say, state of CA beaches are fair game . That's the way it's always been. And we "leave good enough alone" . And never rock that boat. :roll:

5) Uhhhh, where are you getting that you can't hunt in San Mateo county parks ? Got a link ?

6) And when you say you "can't find anything specific for ...." (and then you go list several places). Why can't that be sufficient ? Why isn't silence-on-the-subject ok ? If you don't see something that says "no md'ing", then why can't that therefore mean: "not prohibited" ? Are you expecting to find an express ALLOWANCE ? IE.: As if you're going to find a law or rule saying "MD'ing is allowed here" ? It doesn't work like that. No more so than you'd expect to find a law or rule that says "Frisbee flying allowed here"

7) if you want to pop me a PM, there's a mud-flat inter-bay beach where I have pulled lots of coins from (including silver). You're welcome to hit that. I'd be curious how it's doing, as I haven't made it there in several years now.

Amba:

"1) Do not confuse Golden Gate National Recreation Area (GGNRA) with Golden Gate park. Despite the similar names, they are not the same. SF city parks (including Golden Gate park) do not have any specific "no md'ing" rule."

Thank you for confirming that the city does not have any specific rules against it. That is exactly the sort of local knowledge I was looking for.

"Versus GGNRA which is federal. And no, GGNRA is not a "lot of the parks" . It is very few of them. Oh sure, it might cover the immediate beaches at the foot of the SF city coastline (right below the windmill areas of GGP) and some *certain* stretches north of SF), but ... not, it's not a lot of land-hunting "parks" area."

As I tried to research area beaches they kept coming up as part of the GGNRA, NPS, historic sites, or otherwise restricted. It wasn't specifically that "everything was GGNRA" it's that I was repeatedly coming up with places I knew I couldn't hunt.

"2) there's a dirty-little-secret that you will be hard-pressed to find anyone to say so much as "boo" to you, on GGNRA beaches anyhow. A possible exception is a certain stretch of Stinson beach (and I have a sneaking suspicion why). But at other portions of GGNRA, .... well .... I'll let your imagination take over.""

If I know there is a written, easily identified rule explicitly banning metal detecting in an area; I wont hunt there. Doesn't fit my personal ethics to do so.

"3) If you're still skittish, there's other beaches that are not federal GGNRA. A color coded map will let you know state vs city vs fed vs county."

To be honest, I use goigle maps the most. Do you have a preferred website or app for this information?

"4) No, it is an urban legend wive's tale that "all state parks are off-limits". You can hunt state of CA beaches here till you're blue in the face."

All I did was read the park rules. It's pretty explicit that you can't remove anything, even though the activity of metal detecting is not explicitly mentioned. When it comes to public land I always lean towards NOT hunting if there is a high likelihood the activity would be considered prohibited. And there are a few parks specifically called out, such as Folsom Lake. I wouldn't set out to hunt CA state park beaches or land based on the rules I read, but for beach areas below the tide line I also wouldn't worry too much if I crossed over.

If you want to get into minutia of grey-area verbiage about this, in-relation-to-State of CA beaches, we can. But for now, suffice it to say, state of CA beaches are fair game . That's the way it's always been. And we "leave good enough alone" . And never rock that boat. :roll:

5) Uhhhh, where are you getting that you can't hunt in San Mateo county parks ? Got a link ?

Again, the rules on their own website. See number 14. https://parks.smcgov.org/rules-regulations

6) And when you say you "can't find anything specific for ...." (and then you go list several places). Why can't that be sufficient ? Why isn't silence-on-the-subject ok ? If you don't see something that says "no md'ing", then why can't that therefore mean: "not prohibited" ? Are you expecting to find an express ALLOWANCE ? IE.: As if you're going to find a law or rule saying "MD'ing is allowed here" ? It doesn't work like that. No more so than you'd expect to find a law or rule that says "Frisbee flying allowed here"

With the exception of northern parts of Stinson beach, everything I listed was a clear "no". I was looking for known beach area parks (specifically beaches) that were not subject to clearly written rules that forbid detecting. I expect most areas to say nothing either way, and consider asking a local (if I can) about their knowledge/experiences to be part of my due diligence in avoiding knowingly breaking the law. (FWIW, There are explicit rules for MDing in St. Louis county Mo and Missouri state parks-- along with disc golf (Frisbee) rules ;) )

7) if you want to pop me a PM, there's a mud-flat inter-bay beach where I have pulled lots of coins from (including silver). You're welcome to hit that. I'd be curious how it's doing, as I haven't made it there in several years now.
Thanks for the offer, I may well do that!

Amba

Gee. San Mateo County is off limits? Stupid me, been detecting here over 40 years and NEVER HAD A PROBLEM. Go to GGP and detect. You can cross that one off your list.

Bill

Gee. San Mateo County is off limits? Stupid me, been detecting here over 40 years and NEVER HAD A PROBLEM. ....

Shame on you Bill. That means you didn't ask enough people "Can I ?". Tsk tsk.

I realize that your conscience is overtaken with guilt now. But not to worry : Here is the penance you must perform : Box up all your ill-gotten stuff, and send it to me. I will absolve your conscience of all guilt feelings.

It's the least I can do for a good friend like you ! :cool3:

Back
Top Bottom