**Looking for some MD Pros/Cons**

pj_fan72

So I'm looking into buying my first metal detector. Have done research, narrowed my choices in my price range. Now I am looking for some advice from people who have actually used the metal detectors that I am choosing from. If you have any experience with the following metal detectors please give me some advice and your pros/cons. Thanks in advance :). Here they are:

1. Teknetics Delta 4000
2. Fisher F2 DD
3. Fisher F2 w 3 coils (4",8",10")
4. Tesoro Silver uMax

I am currently out in California, Antelope Valley, so not much water nearby, mainly hitting up dry land.

This is pretty much the same question that I was about to post and ask.

PJ and Char first welcome to the forum. To answer your question the F2 is a great detector to start with. The additional coils are good if you can afford them. The best advice I can give you is to learn to master the one you buy. Each detector has traits inherant to the brand. Understanding how to use and what it is telling you is the most important. Which ever you decide to buy, be patient and learn. Look here for advice and information. I wish you well in hunting.

Hi Top; thank s for the welcome and advice.

Back to searching and reading for me, I don't want to highjack pj's thread :)

Lookit here. You gotta git what u want, not what a bunch of folk on a message board tell ya 2. Here's the thang, u r gonna use it, not us. Now here's my advice; what ever detector you choose, stick with it. Don't be gettin' wild hair ideas and be a-changin' machines every couple a months. Cuz iffen ya do u soon ain't gonna know which end is up as the nuances of each model become twisted in your gray matter. I personally have seen this happen with my own 2 eyes. C ya get all up and confuseled. Pick 1, stick with it and become 1 with it cuz you know every sound it can make and know what each of dem sounds mean.

Thanks for the info Top, oldcoon I am leaning towards the Teknetics 4000. I just wanted some people with field experience on those couple detectors to see if there was anything I was overlooking or wasn't in the reviews. Or maybe some quality issues or customer service that might change my mind. And Char I don't mind you hijacking or piggybacking this post :P. The more informed people are the better

i have the Tesoro, my first detector. really havent used it much but i works great for what i do. if you researched it its pretty bare minimum: discrimination, sensitivity, disc/all metal mode. thats kind of why i like it, i figure if i can get good using a MD with no screen or bells and whistles i could really be good with a more advanced one. Tesoro is in i think Prescott AZ, and i heard they have really good customer service.

I have had the f2 with 3 coils for about a month now. I think it is a great detector. I have only used the 8in coil so far.

welcome to the forum PJ! Just wanted to pipe in here as the owner of a Teknetics Delta 4000 and say that I am very happy with my unit. It is dependable and consistently brings in some deep coins.

I've had my F2 for a only a short while now, but it is very easy to use and only gets bett with experience. If you can swing it get the pro pointer too. You will still do fine without it it just makes it easier to find thing in the plug or whole. Good luck and happy hunting.

Think there about as many different machines, as there different sorts of goals for getting one. If you are very specific about what you want to find, probably want something with a nice display and ID numbers, so you can pick up what you want most, and leave the good stuff behind for the rest of us... I'm not that picky, and don't mind digging the junk, sometimes some interesting things surprise me. The display still helps, least for the depth approximation, and I like to leave a respectable space in-between holes, so want to pick and choose a little in public places. Not in it to get rich, just a little fun and adventure.

Really need to think about the types of places you will be hunting most, and if you are focused on specific types of targets. Once you figured that out, the right machine for your purpose will be easier to choose. Might call a few of the forum sponsors, all seem to be helpful, and willing to discus options.

I own an Ace 250, an F2, and a Delta 4000. All are good choices for beginners. of the three, I would go with the Delta 4000. I have found more silver and wheat coins with it that the others combined. It is easy to use. I have a couple of DD coils that I can use with it but I prefer the stock coil. My second choice would be the F2. I like the number readouts on it and the Delta.

The F2 is a phenomenal piece of equipment. I got mine as a back up, it currently has the sniper coil on it but all the coils work great. There are many pros for the machine lightweight, reliable, long battery life (if your using headphones), great pinpointing and more with not many cons that I have experienced to date. I sometimes have to debate which machine I want to swing almost on every hunt and there is a ton of great information here on the forums. For the price, its an excellent option. jmo, HH! TD

Thanks for all the inputs, I'm going to get the Teknetics Delta 4000, its only $60 more than the basic F2, plus it comes with headphones and a pointer. So I think will be a nice starter set. I live on an AFB, and about a year back they tore down an old section of houses from the 60's-70's, cant wait to see what turns up :P

Lookit here. You gotta git what u want, not what a bunch of folk on a message board tell ya 2. Here's the thang, u r gonna use it, not us. Now here's my advice; what ever detector you choose, stick with it. Don't be gettin' wild hair ideas and be a-changin' machines every couple a months. Cuz iffen ya do u soon ain't gonna know which end is up as the nuances of each model become twisted in your gray matter. I personally have seen this happen with my own 2 eyes. C ya get all up and confuseled. Pick 1, stick with it and become 1 with it cuz you know every sound it can make and know what each of dem sounds mean.

You talk funny...

I've got a Delta 4000 as my first detector and it is great. Just yesterday I found my first silvers with it; two barber dimes about 8 inches deep. The display was very accurate as well as the pinpointing function. It is my first and only metal detector, so I can't really compare it. I'm just saying I have a good time with it.

Thanks for all the inputs, I'm going to get the Teknetics Delta 4000, its only $60 more than the basic F2, plus it comes with headphones and a pointer. So I think will be a nice starter set. I live on an AFB, and about a year back they tore down an old section of houses from the 60's-70's, cant wait to see what turns up :P

Excellent choice. Run it straight as you turn it on or down a bit on sensitivity to learn and not go as deep or chatter. Then start to run it hotter/higher sensitivity and let it shine. All metal with id in at this price is very good and deep. Just learn it first before running it wide open or you will get frustrated. The 8" coil on it is really good all around.

Back
Top Bottom