• Forum server maintanace tonight.
    Website will be off line for a short while.

You may need to log out, log back in after we're back online.

Unknown coin

aloldstuff

Found this in Springfield MA over the weekend and I am at a lost. On the obverse, left side I am sure that it says US CONVENTION. The man looks like he has a cane and has a cape. any help greatly appreciated.

thanks

Attachments

• better+pict+of+conventioin+003[1].JPG
    better+pict+of+conventioin+003[1].JPG
    192.4 KB · Views: 618
  • size+001[1].jpg
    size+001[1].jpg
    34.6 KB · Views: 612
Last edited:
i was goin to saa it looks liek a woman carrying something but now it looks like a cape so that wouldnt make much sense... i wouldnt rule out the bullfighter idea cuz that looks possible

maybe its a medal or something and not a coin

Thinking early political button. Post the back to give us a sense of the date, because it seems early. Interesting find!

Unknown Coin

Ironpatch, thanks for looking and I will post a picture of the back tonight

Al

Unknown Coin

I am sure that it starts off with US CONVENTION its the word to the right of the figure that I cannot read

It most definitely says "Springfield Massachusetts" on the right curving around to the bottom.

Unknown Coin

I am thinking that the wording is US CONVENTION SPRINGFIELD MASS and I am now very sure that the individual is Deacon Samuel Chapin, a statue of which is in downtown Springfield at the quadrangle. I have searched Google for this coin using the information that I have but no results. HELP

Too old of a listing on eBay to get an image but in the feedback they had it as a:
"1911 DEACON SAMUEL CHAPIN SPRINGFIELD MEDAL"

A google book search mentioned a medal produced in 1911(275th anniversary of the towns founding) with the obverse having an image of the statue and an appropriate inscription on the reverse (what-ever that means)

thanks everybody. I worked on the reverse of the coin last night and it is just toast. Nothing to be seen. I will be doing a little more searching on the 1911 date. again thanks

Back
Top Bottom