Start of a new Detector Storage/Transport Box

Gauntlet

Forum Supporter
After the recent purchase of a Vaquero with 3 additional coils and lower rods, it was obvious I needed a way to stow them as well as take them to the field.

While out today I picked-up what I thought might work well, along with being about as lightweight as I could get. Time will tell on durability.

Dimensions (taken from the tag) are 31.25"x 17.5"x14" (I rounded up a few decimal points to make it a more standard dimension).

My thoughts are to add vertical dividers with foam lined "slots" to slide the lower rods (with coils attached) into, and staggering them (coli on left, then coil on right) to maximize space. I'll do something similar with the upper/control box section. I'll probably see if I can't fit at least 2, and possibly 3 complete detectors in it.

It also has wheels on one end so it can be pulled as opposed to just carried. May take me a few days to work-out the details and put them in place, so I'll update this as things progress.

Oh, cost was $20

IM004283.jpg

IM004281.jpg

IM004282.jpg

Great idea! I can't wait to see the final outcome of your project.

Ask, and ye shall receive :yes: I was supposed to have had plans today, but they got postponed.

Headphones, modding detectors, now carrying cases...When do you ever make time to get out and actually use your equipment? :laughing:

Well....I could ask the same of you, as much great advice that you freely share here often. I guess we're just examples of no rest for the wicked eh? :lol:

Trust me, if the weather were cooperative, I'd be out there (not that I'm not already "out there" :p)

OK, after actually setting down and putting some actual thought into it, I was able to simplify it a bunch! And that means less time. So here's the end results.

I have a Vaquero, a Compadre, and a Cibola (all with rods) and a total of 7 coils. There's actually room for a couple more coils.

All the foam blocks are glued in place. I didn't spend a lot of time putting it together (and it shows), but it's just a box to haul detectors in. It'll get banged-around, ride in the truck, and eventually crack to the extent of requiring replacement. When that time comes, I can spend $20, buy a duplicate box, and transfer all the guts into it and start the cycle over. Now I can grab this and put 3 complete detectors in the truck with several coils. My DeLeon will stay in it's own little home (box), and I still have a gear bag for everything else.

I'll weigh this sometime, but would guess it's not over 12-15 pounds loaded.

Lined the bottom with ether (soft) foam, and used plank (rigid) foam to contain everything.

IM004285.jpg

IM004287.jpg

IM004289.jpg

IM004291.jpg

IM004292.jpg

IM004293.jpg

IM004295.jpg

IM004298.jpg

I laid a piece of soft foam across the control boxes so when the lid's closed they're "captured" in their holders. I'll probably end-up gluing the foam to the lid so I don't have to handle it to remove detectors.
IM004297.jpg

And we all know....... :yes:
IM004296.jpg

Thanks for posting that. I just started looking for something similar only low profile for the back of my Jeep. Your post makes me wonder if I could cut the bottom half off that box and create a new bottom with maybe a piece of plywood. It would be easier and fater than building one from scratch.

Thanks for posting that. I just started looking for something similar only low profile for the back of my Jeep. Your post makes me wonder if I could cut the bottom half off that box and create a new bottom with maybe a piece of plywood. It would be easier and fater than building one from scratch.

Jimbo, there's all sorts of sizes of these, so look around and you may find exactly what you need. I've had a few Jeeps, and one I'd just enclosed the front side of the rear inner fenders, then put a lid on it with a hinge and padlock, then carpeted it. It gave me some secure storage (since it did't have a tailgate). Not sure if you're wanting something more portable than that though.

I'd decided I really didn't like the piece of soft foam over the control boxes to contain them, plus because I'd slightly undersized the slots for the shafts to fit into it caused them to slightly splay-outwards, I decided to ditch the foam and just a Velcro strap over each:

IM004307.jpg

And while I was at it, I'd added straps to keep the spare coils from being jostled-around:

IM004308.jpg

IM004309.jpg

I may see about mounting the other rods to the underside of the lid instead of having them in the same area as the other coils that are already on lower shafts.

I'd picked-up some velcro straps the other day (just to have) and just got out the hot glue gun, so now I can strap the shafts inside the lid.

I may add something else between the stiffening ribs (inside the lid) to carry fresh batteries.

Also, the Tesoros I have all share the same shafts (center and lower), so I can assemble the 2 lower shafts with the coil I want, wrap the coil cable around the shafts (leaving enough at the top to make the connection at the control box), and velcro it at the top. Then if I want to swap coils it's just a matter of disconnecting the connector, popping the shaft out of the s-handle, popping the other in and connecting the cable. Makes coil changes easier and quicker.

IM004317.jpg

Nice work! I like it. Although I would be careful with the hit glue, dosent hold that well to smooth surfaces.

But if it sticks your golden!

Gauntlet - nice work. The only thing I would do is not advertise what is in the box via the bumper sticker - nothing wrong with it, I just don't like to tell people what's in my vehicle, or container of any kind. It's a great idea, and I have been thinking of something similar for my car (had to sell the truck...). Great job!

Gauntlet - nice work. The only thing I would do is not advertise what is in the box via the bumper sticker - nothing wrong with it, I just don't like to tell people what's in my vehicle, or container of any kind. It's a great idea, and I have been thinking of something similar for my car (had to sell the truck...). Great job!

Thanks!

I'm never out of "range" from the truck, which has an alarm as well.

looks great:yes:..............well except for that sticker on the lid :laughing:

Back
Top Bottom