Does 14k gf mean gold plated?

gold filled is not gold plated
it is like 1/20th gold
some of it is marked
somebody will explain it better than me I could be wrong

Is it stamped G.F. or GF? Usually the Gold-Filled rings are stamped G.F. or GOLD FILLED.

Take a pic if you can.

gold filled is not gold plated
it is like 1/20th gold
some of it is marked
somebody will explain it better than me I could be wrong

You are correct.

The manufacturing process is different.

Gold plating is done by bathing the base metal ring in a electroplating solution that contains gold and by applying an electric current, thus causing an electrochemical reaction to occur and deposit a thin layer of gold onto the base metal.

Gold filled goes through a process of heating and bonding the gold to the base metals surface. The gold must be 1/20 the weight of the entire object making it thicker than the electroplated layer on gold plated.

Esentually they are the same. Your ring is silver with gold plating. So you at least have a silver ring.

There is so little gold on Gold Filled or Heavy Gold Electroplate, or Gold Overlay, or Gold Shell it isn't worth a thing in gold.

One small drop of 24K gold can plate an old silver dollar. Thats how thin gold can be made.

You still have a ring. It is sterling silver instead of brass or copper. So congrats!!!

You'll also find many older watch cases (from the '50s, for example) that appear to be gold are actually only gold filled instead, and many aren't marked as such. I don't like the term "gold filled"-- I think it's a confusing term and requires too much explanation for what is essentially gold plating.

I found a ring that is gold plated and it reads 14KT GS ESPD You can see Some of the gold is chipped off with a magnifying glass. :no::no:

Some people can remove the gold fill or plate but if you look at fleabay under '14k gold scrap' you'll see some clumps of stuff being sold as gold filled and it can be like 300g for $50...and im thinking some of the people buying are hoping that some of the GF stuff is filled silver or sterling to offset the money they spent on the bag of stuff...so its nor worth too much.

But then again you can find a penny sized splatter of diamonds for $100, when it comes to value its the piece that costs not the construct.

Just my diamond covered gold filled two cents :laughing:

"Gold Filled" is a very confusing term. I think of chocolates or jelly doughnuts.... FILLED with something on the inside. But why would anyone fill something up with gold on the inside and then put something inferior over it? The whole term doesn't make sense. "Plated" makes perfect sense. Glad to know they are essentially the same. Thanks for the lesson!

Thanks everyone for all the help and information. Headed out the door to do some detecting, maybe I will find a solid gold ring this time!:grin: HH

I found a ring that is gold plated and it reads 14KT GS ESPD You can see Some of the gold is chipped off with a magnifying glass. :no::no:

Perhaps it says ESPO and not ESPD? ESPO is Joe Esposito and they make collectable jewelry since the 1950s. Look on eBay at all the ESPO jewelry being sold.

Back
Top Bottom