Potential Hobbiest

It helps like hell to have a decent machine and at least go at it long enough to understand it. Like others have said,if you’re looking at it as a second job...forget it. Maybe your wife is trying to tell you something? Like...get out of the house and do something? Maybe not? FABULOUS things are in the ground,hidden from view for centuries sometimes. It IS the gamblers mentality...what is the next signal? Do I know my machine well enough and the site I’m in well enough to perhaps have a good idea?
You will be VERY surprised at what the ground will give up,IF you are willing to put in the effort. If the “return on effort” thing is making you think about whether or not you’ll like detecting,then those are not the thoughts of a true HOBBYIST.
If you tell us what type of machine you have,we can tell you if you have a chance...and how serious your wife is about getting you outside!

We are all pretty much well beyond being 'Hobbiest's here...Some were just born to be outdoors adventuring, wandering, and hunting...Cant sit still, cant tolerate flourescent lighting, etc...Now a days this condition is labeled a Birth defect, a genetic Primitive reptilian brain throwback mental flaw...'Daniel Boone Syndrome' or DBS for short....

A good psychiatrist would easily recognize the symptoms of DBS affliction, OverActive Imagination, Enlarged Amygdala, Auditorily Stimulated, Obsessive Compulsive, Time Wasters, ...(One of the questions in the initial diagnosis interview is: "When you were a young boy, did you ever hunt for Worms? Did you ever try to catch bees or lightening bugs in a babyfood jar? Do you have a Cabelas CC?)

In order to recover and become a contributing Member of Society, The Standard AMA accepted DBS treatment is the surgical removal of the ear drums, one arm, and one leg....Even then, in some severe cases of DBS, relapse is possible and has been noted in the journals...

Most of us terminal DBS sufferers maintain a false form of equilibrium in order to function in Todays Society.... We self medicate by coming to the Forum, Coin Roll Hunt, or even Coinstar reject tray mine...We also have a decent Family Support Group, with an understanding Wife, that discourage this self destructive behavior by shaming us on the regular, and distracting us with Household duties right during Prime Time Season!....

I'm not a doctor, but I doubt you have even a slight case of DBS, I think you are in the clear...Although, you cant be too careful...you might want to think about getting rid of your Wife just to be safe...She is obviously a DBS 'Enabler'..:laughing: If you could please, post her pic and contact info..its for a friend...:laughing::laughing:.

Last edited:
It helps if you:

1. Like to get outside
2. Want to move your appendages about (exercise)
3. Have an interest in learning something new
4. Give the wife a break
5. Have the slightest interest in history
6. Maybe like to challenge yourself?
7. Share a like interest with thousands of other people?
8. Go without TV for extended periods?
9. Might want to puzzle others that wonder what you're up to??
10. Read, research, learn, share, and enjoy the hobby

If you can't relate to any or all of the above? Apologize to the wife, trade the detector for something she likes and continue whatever it was that you were doing.

Mudpuppy, I don't think I've ever seen a better description of a detectorist. My wife is still laughing about how well you pegged me.(I hate being stuck inside watching the tube.) All you left out is the feeling of calm that comes with the mindful meditation of swinging the detector and listening to the symphonic cacophany of the metallic universe under your feet; or the euphoria of digging something older than you, or finding a unique treasure. Now that's exciting! Well put, Mudpuppy.

Thanks all

Thanks all. I may try the thing out. I've got 15 acres in Virginia. Maybe I'll find civil war things. A good time to try now, before the grass & weeds grow tall. If I don't get into it, I have a friend who may want it. Seems to be a decent gadget. A bag of stuff, really, with different coils to swap out. Made by Garrett.

We are all pretty much well beyond being 'Hobbiest's here...Some were just born to be outdoors adventuring, wandering, and hunting...Cant sit still, cant tolerate flourescent lighting, etc...Now a days this condition is labeled a Birth defect, a genetic Primitive reptilian brain throwback mental flaw...'Daniel Boone Syndrome' or DBS for short....

A good psychiatrist would easily recognize the symptoms of DBS affliction, OverActive Imagination, Enlarged Amygdala, Auditorily Stimulated, Obsessive Compulsive, Time Wasters, ...(One of the questions in the initial diagnosis interview is: "When you were a young boy, did you ever hunt for Worms? Did you ever try to catch bees or lightening bugs in a babyfood jar? Do you have a Cabelas CC?)

In order to recover and become a contributing Member of Society, The Standard AMA accepted DBS treatment is the surgical removal of the ear drums, one arm, and one leg....Even then, in some severe cases of DBS, relapse is possible and has been noted in the journals...

Most of us terminal DBS sufferers maintain a false form of equilibrium in order to function in Todays Society.... We self medicate by coming to the Forum, Coin Roll Hunt, or even Coinstar reject tray mine...We also have a decent Family Support Group, with an understanding Wife, that discourage this self destructive behavior by shaming us on the regular, and distracting us with Household duties right during Prime Time Season!....

I'm not a doctor, but I doubt you have even a slight case of DBS, I think you are in the clear...Although, you cant be too careful...you might want to think about getting rid of your Wife just to be safe...She is obviously a DBS 'Enabler'..:laughing: If you could please, post her pic and contact info..its for a friend...:laughing::laughing:.

Mud, I get through the winter detecting doldrums by reading your posts. This one made me shoot milk out my nose! Too funny! I swear I’m gonna call in sick one day with “DBS.”:laughing:

Not much more to add

Good luck with the detector. Sounds like you have some prime ground for detecting. If you find anything exciting, please post! We’re a friendly bunch for the most part, outside of a few sore heads, so don’t hesitate to ask questions. There’s a learning curve with detecting, don’t get frustrated. It takes time learning your machine.

Thanks all. I may try the thing out. I've got 15 acres in Virginia. Maybe I'll find civil war things. A good time to try now, before the grass & weeds grow tall. If I don't get into it, I have a friend who may want it. Seems to be a decent gadget. A bag of stuff, really, with different coils to swap out. Made by Garrett.

BRP, What brand /model detector did your wife buy you?

Got a canvas bag of stuff. Garrett 2500, with different parts & headphones. I've yet to read the instructions.

Too many people have the preconceived notion, that getting into metal detecting means your going to get rich, usually not the case though :lol: for most the reality check comes after a hunt or two, and those hunts will tell you if its something that interests you in a hobby, not a career...Good luck on your decision!

Got a canvas bag of stuff. Garrett 2500, with different parts & headphones. I've yet to read the instructions.

That is a beast of a machine !!! If I remember right it even talks to you. Read up on it and give it a chance. I had a 1500 and I really liked the sizing function on it.

......did you say 15 acres in Virginia ??????? NO worries, we are on our way to help you dig relics!

You had me at "Civil War Things..."

Too many people have the preconceived notion, that getting into metal detecting means your going to get rich, usually not the case though :lol: for most the reality check comes after a hunt or two, and those hunts will tell you if its something that interests you in a hobby, not a career...Good luck on your decision!

Were Not Going To Get Rich?:shock:

Well That's Because Black Sand Isn't A Option For Detecting On Our Metal Detector's :laughing::laughing::laughing:

I received a metal detector as a gift. I have no experience nor real need for it, but am considering giving it a try. Otherwise, I'll try to return it (which will cost points with my wife...). Doing research, I came across this forum.

I have a question. Please understand that no disrespect is intended. I see a lot of posts here that essentially say " A good day - I spent 3 hours digging in a field and dug up 3 dimes, a nickel, and some sort of token."

Not a very good return on labor. Am I missing some appeal of the hobby? I could see some interest in beachcombing with the gadget, but don't live near a beach. Otherwise, I'm not excited about searching my lawn or nearby parks.

The appeal of this hobby is time spent enjoying the great mystery of what the next find might be. The thrill of the hunt , literally.....if you give it a go and get into research , the hunt is a rush. Tracking down leads and studying history , or just getting outside with a new purpose , take your pick but its all addictive. Its not really about making a profit , the pure amazement and wonder over the things you pull from the ground are priceless. I have days where I find a dime and a couple pennies.....happy to have gone out but not as fulfilling ,.....but then I have days where I find a gold ring or $10 in quarters and Im so excited to get back out that I cant sleep that night. :yes: Its not for everybody , but for some of us once we started we just cant stand the thought of stopping.

Just read this... I have DBS. No more money to be spent by me for counseling... I feel liberated..

Back
Top Bottom