Who Wants a Laugh

Are you sure ? You're saying gifts and tips aren't "taxable" ? Because even restaurant waiters tips ARE INDEED taxable , right ? And any source of "income" (no matter if you call it a "tip" or a "gift") are taxable, aren't they ?

Because if not, then pray tell: What's to stop me from giving my employees "gifts" all year long, so-as-to-avoid payroll taxes ?

But I think this is all a moot point anyhow. Because ... most certainly .... Scuba has dutifully listed this as income on his income taxes. Right scuba ? :hornetsnest::worms::friends:

Where in the world did you get TIPS in my post? You certainly have your tangent machine running full force today. Tips are income and therefore taxable.

How you run your business is between you and Fedgov (and stategov and....etc). But I'd advise you NOT to run any scams to try and get around the rules. They may be arrogant/mean/lazy/etc, but when it comes to getting your money and ruining your life, they aint stupid and have lots of practice at it. Stay 100% legal and don't play stupid games cause you know what kinda prizes you win in those.

But again, its your business and your life to conduct as you want.

Dude...maybe a fine mesh metal wastebasket like they sell at BedBathandBedamned? they are about the size of a 5gal bucket and have a pretty tight mesh that should capture an earring, and of course every stick and weed and shell too......

Then just start grading across the bottom with it? ..It will be a muddy ZERO vis mess, but hey you are used to that....If the reward is enough and you know right about where it is in a 10'x10' area, that might be the simplest and easiest way to go...?

Get two, so after one fills up, you can stay down and fill the other before you have to come topside to sift through the finds...

Oh BTW, thanks for finding my Watch! I was dinking around with my Props...checking the cotter pins etc..Besides the Bentley, My other car is a BMW!.:laughing::laughing:

man that's right up there with Tommy Chong's VW beetle with the Rolls emblem/grill.

Where in the world did you get TIPS in my post? ....

Ok, forget the word "tips". I was just throwing that out there as another word to go along-side "gifts". It's just semantics. Whether someone calls it a "tip" or a "gift", the point remains :

There is no risk to scuba , whether it be via the IRS or thieves, that he references the gift or tips he receives for his adventures.

Technically, any source of income (no matter what a person calls it, Ie.: "gifts", "tips", etc...) is taxable. But we ALL know that , realistically speaking, such incomes are only done through employee/employer relationship . Beyond that ... the guy that finds a $10 bill on the street, or receives a $100 gift for finding someone's ring, is NOT going to bother listing such petty income.

Ok, forget the word "tips". I was just throwing that out there as another word to go along-side "gifts". It's just semantics. Whether someone calls it a "tip" or a "gift", the point remains :

There is no risk to scuba , whether it be via the IRS or thieves, that he references the gift or tips he receives for his adventures.

Technically, any source of income (no matter what a person calls it, Ie.: "gifts", "tips", etc...) is taxable. But we ALL know that , realistically speaking, such incomes are only done through employee/employer relationship . Beyond that ... the guy that finds a $10 bill on the street, or receives a $100 gift for finding someone's ring, is NOT going to bother listing such petty income.

No, you are absolutely wrong. Gifts below $10k/year (actually its a bit more as they raised it) are not considered to be income and are not federally taxable. I thought this was common knowledge. Play all your typical word games, conjure up all your hypothetical scenarios that tangentially fit the narrative, and ladle on the paragraphs after paragraphs all you want Tom but it wont change the Federal Tax Code. Ask your accountant.

And just so you know I'm not asking you to do anything I wouldn't do myself, I confirmed this with my CPA.

No, you are absolutely wrong. Gifts below $10k/year (actually its a bit more as they raised it) are not considered to be income and are not federally taxable. I thought this was common knowledge. Play all your typical word games, conjure up all your hypothetical scenarios that tangentially fit the narrative, and ladle on the paragraphs after paragraphs all you want Tom but it wont change the Federal Tax Code. Ask your accountant.

And just so you know I'm not asking you to do anything I wouldn't do myself, I confirmed this with my CPA.

Hmm... I wonder if this is why PayPal is now charging me more % to send money as a gift than to send it as paying for a product. F/ck/rs always with the hands in the pockets

.... Ask your accountant....

Ok. I have the question out now, to a local md'r in my area who is an accountant. Will report back to the forum when he gives his answer. And I've made sure to ask him to link it to any supporting rules/laws.

Ie.: A difference between "tip" versus "gift" versus pre-arranged cost of services ? A difference of $100 vs $1000 versus $10,000 ? etc.... Will report back when he answers.

Not that this will change any of our practices I suppose.

I am wondering myself. All I ask for is gas and air. I am not getting a tip. I am getting a gift as far as I know. The laws are meant to construed in many many ways.

For example it is totally illegal for me to carry a double edged knife in Michigan. I carry two while diving and have had many many police encounters. They are not knives, they are dive tools. Lots of different perspectives out there

Ok. I have the question out now, to a local md'r in my area who is an accountant. Will report back to the forum when he gives his answer. And I've made sure to ask him to link it to any supporting rules/laws.

Ie.: A difference between "tip" versus "gift" versus pre-arranged cost of services ? A difference of $100 vs $1000 versus $10,000 ? etc.... Will report back when he answers.

Not that this will change any of our practices I suppose.

So you run a business in Socal and don't have an accountant? That's surprising. Nothing wrong with it, just surprising. I don't know of any business owners around here down to the 20-something sole proprietor of the local 1-room paintball store that doesn't have an accountant.

Bought it to mess around in the shallow along with a hand held Rts Ss 5 inch, i dont dive.

While I like the scuba tector it will not find an earring at any depth, I made a video a while back air testing various items and a big ole diamond earring (With the back on as well, I'm assuming the lost one doesn't have the back)

In actual real world use I have found coins, rings and a chain, anything smaller, no

(0:43 for the earring)

Ok Folks. I just tried the Whites Dial Field and a white plastic colander. No luck. I ordered two mesh wastebaskets from Amazon and they will be here Monday. I will have someone up top go through them after I scoop up a basket of muck. I will swish most of it out while down there though. This ear ring has to be found!!

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01HQOOCJM/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

The area is around 2' wide by 5' long. I sure hope this works!

Ok. I have the question out now, to a local md'r in my area who is an accountant. Will report back to the forum when he gives his answer....

Tom, if your friend never gets back to you, a simple internet search will show you the correct answer. I'd do it for you but like many folks, I think these kinds of things are important teaching moments.

While I like the scuba tector it will not find an earring at any depth, I made a video a while back air testing various items and a big ole diamond earring (With the back on as well, I'm assuming the lost one doesn't have the back)

In actual real world use I have found coins, rings and a chain, anything smaller, no

(0:43 for the earring)

This ear ring doesn't have a back. It is like a small 0 with a hinge on the bottom and 4 diamonds on one side. It is most likely open. I wish I would have got a picture of the one he has still

So you run a business in Socal and don't have an accountant? ....

K-in-TN, my business is in central coast CA (Monterey bay area). And yes, I have an accountant :) But for purposes of this question, I posed it to a local md'r who is an accountant by trade. He just got back to me and said that *technically*, yes, tips we get (whether you call them "tips" or "gifts") are taxable.

But as to whether or not anyone actually enforces it, is a different matter. Ie.: The IRS doesn't monitor forums like this , to see who's getting side-income.

If you have a google link to the contrary, let us know.

K-in-TN, my business is in central coast CA (Monterey bay area). And yes, I have an accountant :) But for purposes of this question, I posed it to a local md'r who is an accountant by trade. He just got back to me and said that *technically*, yes, tips we get (whether you call them "tips" or "gifts") are taxable.

But as to whether or not anyone actually enforces it, is a different matter. Ie.: The IRS doesn't monitor forums like this , to see who's getting side-income.

If you are going down that road, the cost of the metal detector is now tax deductible, as well as fuel for traveling to the beach or where-ever you are recovering the items. Also any bathing suits and / or wet suits purchased for this side business is tax deductible as well.

Sounds like we are trying to take the fun out of the hobby!

Edit:
I guess how it all happens makes it interesting.
" i lost a ring, can you help try to find it, if so, how much will it cost?"
Sure i can help, i don't charge.

There we go, a verbal contract, no payment.

Now if you get a gift as a thanks, that seems like its truly a gift. Up to the limits anyway.

Alternatively, if the response is "i don't charge, but tips are appreciated" We now have the funds as part of the verbal contract.

I am not a lawyer or an accountant. - But its stupid details like this that matter.

Once again, you avoided the topic of discussion. I once again invite you to reread my post and see that the word TIP does not appear.
The subject is GIFTS, Tom. The IRS is VERY clear on the differences. They don't care the profession, just the classification of the income type.
Try again.

(and if you think tips are a technicality, you need to talk to some restaurant owners. and never use the guy that thinks that for anything. that's the most clueless thing I have ever heard re the IRS)

Once again, you avoided the topic of discussion. I once again invite you to reread my post and see that the word TIP does not appear.
The subject is GIFTS, Tom. The IRS is VERY clear on the differences. They don't care the profession, just the classification of the income type.
Try again.

(and if you think tips are a technicality, you need to talk to some restaurant owners. and never use the guy that thinks that for anything. that's the most clueless thing I have ever heard re the IRS)

Dang KinTN,

you have something against our buddy Tom or what?..

This is like about the 5th different thread you chimed in on busting his Ballz :?:

Getting to where it is noticeable.

just saying.. everyone has their opinion and no need to always go there..

Back
Top Bottom