My "White Whale" spot spits-up one last coin

Gauntlet

Forum Supporter
I called this field (corn stubble) the White Whale because of the way I've pursued it's non-existent bounty of coins :laughing: This was the 1st field that came available to hunt, as they're starting to harvest corn. Since I'm on my "comeback tour", after a few years away from detecting, I was looking forward to hunting a spot with the possibility of some older finds (clad from the Parks is fine, bud just doesn't trip my trigger).

My 1st hunt, I dug 2 Wheaties and a clad Rosie. I went back a 2nd time, and the DeLeon started acting-up, so I grabbed the Vaq to finish.....digging nothing :no: I vowed then I would pull one more coin from this field before writing it off, if it killed me.

Third hunt was pretty much a test run for the DeLeon after repairing some bad wiring connections. Again, came home empty handed for my efforts. As I pulled away from the field, I rolled the window down, and shook my fist in anger at it, and vowed "I will not be defeated".

I arose from my slumber this morning ready to rumble as they say. Today I will exact my revenge I thought to myself, as I then proceeded to spill my coffee all over the table. SO after refilling my cup, putting my sippy-lid on this time, I headed to the field, but this time I had a trick up my sleeve....my modded (ground balance) Cibola....mock me now you 2-penny producing plot of corn stubs....MOCK ME NOW!!!

I hunted for 4 hours, digging every signal I could above nickle. I was even hovering over a bad target until I thought I heard the faint call of a good signal in all that scratchy-clicking noise....it was all for naught. I dug several good signals, coin size signals, saying out loud "be a coin, be a coin"....but alas, my pleas went unanswered.

I'd decided to start working my way back toward the front of the field ,and my truck. I jumped a row now and then, doubled back here and there, went an additional 50' down a row now and then....but the light of my desires was starting to flicker.....the flame of victory was starting to darken.

Here it was again, a signal I knew was going to be another screw top or piece of can slaw.So I kicked Excalibur (my new shovel) into the Earth and flopped-out a mass of dirt, swung the coil over the plug.....yep, got to be another piece of trash. So I kicked at the dirt here and there, isolating the pile that held yet another disappointment for me.....when.....wait, what's this? Could it be? Surely not, yes, it is! It's a coin! IT'S A COIN!!!!

I know I heard trumpets blare in the background, and I'm sure it was my imagination, but I could swear I heard the roar of applause from the crowd much like that of a packed NFL stadium.

VICTORY IS MINE, I AM VINDICATED!!!!

So I put my gear in the truck, but before I climbed into the drivers seat, I turned- around for one last look at the "White Whale", pulled a foot back, and kicked dirt in its face.

Then I jumped in my truck and got out of there as fast as I could....a WINNER!

For the TLDR crowd: I found a Wheatie :p

Attachments

• IMG_20170908_150208.jpg
    IMG_20170908_150208.jpg
    115.7 KB · Views: 529
  • IMG_20170908_150224.jpg
    IMG_20170908_150224.jpg
    113.9 KB · Views: 503
Way to go with the perseverance....I felt that very same way when I moved into my new-to-me rental house, c.1949. on Sept. 1st - and wanted to find just one silver coin.

It took 3 hours but finally a crusty war nickel would come from the front yard! :roll:

I'm going back tonight to "kick more dirt in its face" aka looking for more silver! :lol:

Way to go with the perseverance....I felt that very same way when I moved into my new-to-me rental house, c.1949. on Sept. 1st - and wanted to find just one silver coin.

It took 3 hours but finally a crusty war nickel would come from the front yard! :roll:

I'm going back tonight to "kick more dirt in its face" aka looking for more silver! :lol:

You call it perseverance, those who know me call me stubborn :lol:

I figured I've spent close to 20 hours in this field, for 3 dadgum wheat pennies. LOL....kinda saddening :( :laughing:

You never know what's there until you search! Maybe the next field will hold a cache of coins scattered about. At least you didn't get totally skunked!

Congrats on your triumphant victory! Now go cover the REST of that field. I had a unique situation this summer as there was a field (with history) that had not been planted because it was to be built on. I spent many hours digging junk with the clad coin find every now and then. As I worked my way from one end to the other I started finding Indians, and then more and better coins. When it was over I had 7 Indians, 1 KG, 2 seated dimes, a seated dime with a trime wired to it, one merc and a silver Washington. All of the silver was in an area about 100 yards square, a small part of the huge field.

:laughing::laughing: MOCK ME NOW! :laughing: Very Wonderful Hunt and write Up! I wonder now...Do all of us give nicknames to certain places we hunt? Cuss at them occasionally? Go for the "rematch" challenge and not so much the finds? like we are some sort of crazy Capt Ahab? :laughing::laughing: Great read Gauntlet!

You never know what's there until you search! Maybe the next field will hold a cache of coins scattered about. At least you didn't get totally skunked!

For sure, and I've always said the only way to know for sure what's under your coil, is to dig it. I'm sure hoping my luck improves as more fields become available.

That's the way to keep after it!
Squeeze it until it pukes one out:lol:

:laughing: Thanks! You know, the worst thing is, I know there's more out there. :lol:

Congrats on your triumphant victory! Now go cover the REST of that field. I had a unique situation this summer as there was a field (with history) that had not been planted because it was to be built on. I spent many hours digging junk with the clad coin find every now and then. As I worked my way from one end to the other I started finding Indians, and then more and better coins. When it was over I had 7 Indians, 1 KG, 2 seated dimes, a seated dime with a trime wired to it, one merc and a silver Washington. All of the silver was in an area about 100 yards square, a small part of the huge field.

Thanks! I'm not sure if they'll turn the field over before winter, or wait 'til spring. but I'd like to hit it at least once more with the stubble knocked-down. I've been spoiled by finding virgin spots like the one you mentioned, lol...sure makes these lesser spots tough to handle.

:laughing::laughing: MOCK ME NOW! :laughing: Very Wonderful Hunt and write Up! I wonder now...Do all of us give nicknames to certain places we hunt? Cuss at them occasionally? Go for the "rematch" challenge and not so much the finds? like we are some sort of crazy Capt Ahab? :laughing::laughing: Great read Gauntlet!

Thanks Mud!You know, I only did it on this field, because I'd seen others give a name to some of theirs. That, and I knew I was going to write some sort of a goofy story to go along with my last find, if in fact there ever came one. Ahab, exactly, killing Moby consumed Ahab, in a (very) small sense, this field was eating at me, mocking me :lol:

I hunted a spot across the highway, and the map showed the house setting in a different location that where the farmer said the house sat, where he'd seen it set. I found a wheat and a token where he said it sat, nothing where the map showed.

So I even tried "offsetting" my hunting on the White Whale site the same amount, in the event the plat map was off the same distances here as well. I seriously beat this field to death (as best I could given the conditions).

I could very well end-up back out there before it's over with, but I'll never admit it, unless I make a find ;)

Cool story of persistence Gauntlet, the primary requirement for us dirt diggers

Great story and well deserved victory! Your write-up should be published. Anyone writing a book of short stories about detecting/treasure hunting?? These forums are a gold mine, I tell ya!

Back
Top Bottom