• Forum server maintanace Friday night.(around 7PM Centeral time)
    Website will be off line for a short while.

You may need to log out, log back in after we're back online.

An LC for me, well allrighty then

markinswpa

Forum Supporter
I haven't dug a largie in over 2 years so when one showed today it was a sweet surprise. I have managed to get out 4 times since my last post. Last Sat. I decided to go back to the 1890s place and give it another shot. My first trip netted a 17 Merc and a lock plate, and not much more. Glad I did, my first signal coming across the front yard was a deep memorial. Next signal was a 33-34 deep, Out came a 42 GW. Good start, hitting silver early always seem to make me more attentive. I finished the day with 5 toasty Wheaties, a plated spoon handle and a 64 Rosie. Got me to #66 &67
Deep freeze most of the week but come Fri. I had a new permission on the street where I grew up. While getting my stuff from the truck a lady came out of the house across the street, long story short, I got another permission. I hunted about six hours, 3 Wheaties and a 47 Jeff nickel. A little clad, a couple old cars and a really cool Buffalo Bill Jr. ring. (cool find of the day ). Whenever I dig a nickel signal I say c'mon tatonka or c'mon war nickel but lately it been just rusty Jeffs. Well I got tatonka that day, just not a Buff. Also dug a token, seemed to be copper coated as it rang in like a nickel. Not sure about that one. At dusk I got a nickel signal that climbed a little, it was getting dark so I threw it in my bag, I had thought it looked more black than rust. I said that could be a war nickel and after a few scrapes when I got home, sure enough # 68. Its been months since I dug a war nickel. I was glad to have it. The house across the street the next day only gave up a little clad a rabies tag and one shallow 36 wheatie. although not too bad of shape. so today I decided to try a few more door knocks.

The 2 I targeted today, one nobody was home and the other did not answer the door. Although cars were in the driveway after a few knocks I figured they were busy or they just didn't want to answer. This is why I prefer to catch people outside, they seem to be more receptive. Plan B was the local park and I headed that way when I say a caretaker outside of a local place I've been eyeballin, he told me the place had been done numerous times but I was welcome to try. Some shallow clad and deeper memorials was on the menu until I got a soft high tone, a 26 and deep. I'm thinkin this could be good. Pop, a 6in. plug. pointer going crazy when finally I notice what looked like a wire with a metallic connector sticking out of the sidewall of the hole. So I pull it out and the wire snaps, that's when I see its ring(no doubt sterling) that the root grew threw. I root around a little more and find the other half. Couldn't find the stone. Soon after I get 34-35, loud, shallow, all directions, but a coin signal for sure. Anybody that uses the Equinox knows that quarter sound and I've had quarters #s climb and drop but this one stayed on 34-35. My thoughts was a clad half, no way silver could be this shallow. WHAAT ? Less than 2 in. down, an 1847 LC, I knew what it was the minute I saw it. Not in the best shape but for a 172 years old, hell I'd ask her out. A large cent here, this place was built in the 40s. How did no one see this all these years. Good for me and it sucks to be the guy that passed on the shallow signals. Likewise the Buff was a loud shallow signal, I popped it and it came right out I thought another clad nickel, after a wipe I knew I had a Buff and on clean up I was happy to date it and see it had some good detail left on it. That makes # 37 fty and my goal is too dig a whole role of Buffs by years end. The 18 wheat was the only deeper signal of the old coins at maybe 6 in. I was hoping for an Ihp but as dark came I headed home happy with the days finds. Thanks for looking in HH Mark

Attachments

• 004.jpg
    004.jpg
    49.5 KB · Views: 586
  • 031.jpg
    031.jpg
    46.9 KB · Views: 554
  • 005.jpg
    005.jpg
    51.6 KB · Views: 579
  • 003.jpg
    003.jpg
    45 KB · Views: 578
  • 008.jpg
    008.jpg
    65.9 KB · Views: 531
  • 068.jpg
    068.jpg
    77.7 KB · Views: 536
  • 058.jpg
    058.jpg
    46.9 KB · Views: 555
  • 057.jpg
    057.jpg
    60.2 KB · Views: 569
  • 051.jpg
    051.jpg
    51.5 KB · Views: 532
  • 037.jpg
    037.jpg
    72.2 KB · Views: 549
  • 072.jpg
    072.jpg
    81.7 KB · Views: 524
  • 033.jpg
    033.jpg
    72.2 KB · Views: 540
  • 034.jpg
    034.jpg
    72 KB · Views: 555
  • 016.jpg
    016.jpg
    67.9 KB · Views: 536
  • 052.jpg
    052.jpg
    42.5 KB · Views: 542
  • 053.jpg
    053.jpg
    42.6 KB · Views: 524
  • 054.jpg
    054.jpg
    35.2 KB · Views: 547
Great bunch of finds - congrats on the LC. That war nickel shined up really well. I try to clean mine up, but some have spots of corrosion.

Some very impressive digging Mark. Congrats on putting more Silver into your coffers. Love that Ring and the old meaty Tatonka. Hope Mother Nature cooperates so you can reach 75 before the end of the year. Trapper

Wow! Number one coin on my list is any US large cent! Congrats on all the finds.

Holy smokes Mark,your tearing up it up .lol..That’s a lot of great finds,I’m glad one of us from western Pennsylvania is representing..Congrats on them all!

:sissyfight::sissyfight:The mail has slowed with the cold weather Tom, there should have been at least three, and maybe one Colonial copper!

Wow Mark, a great batch of finds, would love to dig a Large Cent someday. Your coins look really good, that Largie is still quite nice, ditto with the 1918 Buff!

Congrats on all those great finds! Great ride along. Thanks for that great write up. A shallow LC is awesome! "Been hunted many times..." [emoji106] I like that fun ring too.

Great bunch of finds - congrats on the LC. That war nickel shined up really well. I try to clean mine up, but some have spots of corrosion.
Doug thank you, I have dug 6 this year and this is the only one that doesn't have some type of corrosion on it. HH Mark

Some awesome hunts and finds there Mark. Congrats on the large cent and the rest of the finds.
Jason thanks, with winter closing in I 'm trying to get out as much as I can. HH Mark
Some very impressive digging Mark. Congrats on putting more Silver into your coffers. Love that Ring and the old meaty Tatonka. Hope Mother Nature cooperates so you can reach 75 before the end of the year. Trapper
Trapper, thanks pal, temps in the 40s a little crusty in the morning but by noon all is good. Yes 75 is the target, tooth , nail and claw, added one more today. 6 to go. That ring came from a yard I played in as a child, Huh ? I wonder. Stay warm and remember the heats in the tools, just sayin. HH Mark
East coast LC's. Sick sick sick :sissyfight:
Tom, you ain't gonna believe this but I dug another one today, a nice 1845. my problem is my oldest is a 1841 and I can't seem to get one any older. The anxiety is unbearable. lol HH Mark

Awesome finds and spectacular pictures , congrats !
SS thank you, glad you enjoyed them . HH Mark
Wow! Number one coin on my list is any US large cent! Congrats on all the finds.
Jerry thanks, I want you to know when we were messaging that thought was forefront in my mind. I would love to see Pa. fill you top bucketlister. It will come I'm sure. For me, in copper, right now is a two cent'r. Good luck Mark
Holy smokes Mark,your tearing up it up .lol..That’s a lot of great finds,I’m glad one of us from western Pennsylvania is representing..Congrats on them all!
Woody thank you sir, I guess every dog gets a bone once in a while. HHmark

Congrats on all those great finds! Great ride along. Thanks for that great write up. A shallow LC is awesome! "Been hunted many times..." [emoji106] I like that fun ring too.
Mike, yes surprised me for sure, but this is not the first time a shallow signal has paid off, I've had silver, wheats, and even few Ihps, other hunters pass thinking clad or zincolns and yeah I dig my share but it only take a minute to pop it so why not. Good luck Mark

Congrats on the LC. It is still on my bucket list!
Lee, thank you, still many out there to be discovered. Good luck Nark

Congratulations!
Please add it here:
Matt thanks will do. Hey you haven't posted in a while, still able to get out ? h ope so. HH Mark
http://metaldetectingforum.com/showthread.php?t=268702&page=3&highlight=largies

Thank you sir

Wow Mark, a great batch of finds, would love to dig a Large Cent someday. Your coins look really good, that Largie is still quite nice, ditto with the 1918 Buff!

LS Thanks, I dug another one today. Strange--the way things seem to happen in this hobby . Although happy with the Buff, lately almost all my Wheaties have been toasted so I was tickle d with the nice 1918 wheat. This passed summer I dug a really nice 1920 Buff, I have it in a bezel and where it when I hunt, and yes I would have to say it brings me luck. Maybe. HH Mark

Attachments

• 050.jpg
    050.jpg
    47.3 KB · Views: 378
... you ain't gonna believe this but I dug another one today, a nice 1845. my problem is my oldest is a 1841 and I can't seem to get one any older. The anxiety is unbearable....

Yes. And my sympathies go out to you. To have *only* dug an 1845. How can your bear such indignity ? :roll:

Back
Top Bottom