Donate a Metal Detector

LostNowFound

Hi Everyone,

A friend of mine is disabled with Posttraumatic Stress Disorder. He is on disability, thus his income is very limited.

I would like to get him out of the house with me to do some metal detecting. He can not afford to buy a metal detector and I only have one MD. (I'm new to the hobby).

If you have an old metal detector sitting in the closet that your not using and it's collecting dust, please consider donating it to my friend Mike. Please contact me if interested.

Thanks and Happy Hunting!

Hi Everyone,

A friend of mine is disabled with Posttraumatic Stress Disorder. He is on disability, thus his income is very limited.

I would like to get him out of the house with me to do some metal detecting. He can not afford to buy a metal detector and I only have one MD. (I'm new to the hobby).

If you have an old metal detector sitting in the closet that your not using and it's collecting dust, please consider donating it to my friend Mike. Please contact me if interested.

???????????

You had this also posted on another forum.. the garrett ace 250 can be purchased used very very cheap.

What bootybay said is true, just looked around and lots of cheap used detectors out there....Curt:grin:

You may wanna try and Dust off some Old things laying around the house and Possibly have a yard sale..

Or Just give him your machine, and then you can buy yourself a new one..

That would be a really nice thing to do for your Bud

This is a genuine request, not BS.

I just bought my first machine a ACE 350. I have only gone out twice. I'm not surprised that people are skeptical.

I know if he was truly my friend, and I wanted to do something for him, I would buy him a cheap detector if I couldn't afford a good one.

?

Hi Everyone,

Who are you?

hes just asking who you are, since your brand new on the site.. most folks dont ask for a free detector right away.

I'm not a doctor so I really can't say that PTSD is or is not completely disabling. Myself and most of the guys I served with in Iraq all recieve disability for PTSD but none of us are unable to get out of the house or work because of it.

I'm not knocking your friend's PTSD or your desire to help him, I just don't understand how or why it is keeping him confined to his home and unable to work.

Maybe you'll get lucky and someone will have a detector that's collecting dust and they decide to donate it to your friend but I think you'd be better off buying a used detector.

I think we might be just a little too hard on the original poster. I've seen people give away old detectors on this site before. PTSD affects people on different levels. I'm not discrediting what cmbtvet is saying so please don't take it that way but I know several people that honestly can't hardly get out of the house because of what they had to do. It's a tough situation. Wish I had something for the poster but I already donated my old detector to a young man. Good luck to you and your friend. Like I said, please don't take anything I said the wrong way. I just understand some of things that his friend might be going through.

I believe the biggest concern of most of the replies is he is new to the forums (less than 30 posts) and asking for a donated detector.

It wasn't my intention to be hard on the guy, I can't speak for any of the other posters though. I can see how the OP might feel like people are attacking him though when all he really wants to do is help his friend.

You can't blame people for being skeptical. I wish him the best of luck in getting a detector for his friend and I wish his friend luck with working through whatever is keeping him confined to his home.

the main reason people are skeptical is because there have been people in the past that had "sob stories" (not saying this is the OP's intent) and were donated a detector by members or even sponsers only later to find out that the donated detector was put up for sale. now people are a little leary of donating things

My friend Mike who suffers from PTSD is on disability, but does not work. He has many talents, but becomes overwhelmed with anxiety when with groups of people. He is OK one-on-one with a person, but he feels he can not work yet.

Yeah I understand about people getting burnt. Well, all in all, I hope that you get your hands on a detector for your friend, whether you buy one or get one donated. Also, consider buying used. While someone may not donate a detector to you, I'm willing to bet that someone is willing to work with you on a price for a used one. Head over to our classified forum and you might be surprised what you can get.

check out flea markets, pawn shops and craigslist in your area as well..

My friend Mike who suffers from PTSD is on disability, but does not work. He has many talents, but becomes overwhelmed with anxiety when with groups of people. He is OK one-on-one with a person, but he feels he can not work yet.

I wrote a long post about my struggling with PTSD then decided to delete it.

I don't know how long your friend has been back but he will eventually learn to deal with the anxiety. I didn't work for 6-7 months after I got out. I had about $45k in the bank though so getting a job wasn't a priority for me (I wish it was, I might still have some of that cash). Instead, I partied like a rock star and have very little to show for the money I spent except good times that I don't remember. I've been back about 6 1/2 years now and while life is better, it still isn't easy.

I hope that with your help, your friend can get out of his self-imposed prison and get on with his life as best he can.

Back
Top Bottom