Smart phone overlaying apps

Maprika is terrific! I’ve known about the app for awhile, but didn’t try using it until a couple weeks ago. Man, I wish I had started using it sooner! If you take your time and make solid anchor points, you can literally turn any photo of a map into a geo-referenced moving map on your phone or tablet. If you have an old map that shows building locations, it’ll take you right to the spot assuming the original map is reasonably accurate. I used it recently to create a map out of an old plat map for a “ghost” town that’s just a farm field now. Opened up the Maprika app while standing in the field, and I can walk right to the various property lines with pretty high confidence on accuracy! Spectacular tool for MDers!

The Maprika website has links at the top to grab the app for either iOS or Android platforms...I highly recommend at least trying it. You can go wrong for free!

+1 on Maprika, it is as good as your skill marking anchor points. I overlaid the 1875 map of my township using mostly road intersections as anchor points, 136 in all. It is very accurate, I can open the map on my phone and drive all through the area on roads that still exist and the map shows me dead on the road on the 1875 map. There are some good youtube vids on how to use maprika, good luck!

What would be AWESOME (and maybe Maprika has this already, I'm just now installing it) is if it had cloud sourced anchor points...granted, then you'd be relying on someone else's anchors, but if you could at least see where others have them, and then click to confirm maybe. I'll play with it and see

It seems to be a pretty awesome map. Now to get some old maps copied to my iphone

That's where the app really shines - just take a picture of a map on your phone, and you're good to go! I've taken pictures of maps out of books at the library, paper maps, even took a shot of a map from the computer monitor - it all works :yes:

Just remember that if you're in the woods or near a lot of trees your location might be off some because of the trees degrading the phones GPS . But overall Maprika is very good

That's where the app really shines - just take a picture of a map on your phone, and you're good to go! I've taken pictures of maps out of books at the library, paper maps, even took a shot of a map from the computer monitor - it all works :yes:

I have used Maprika with good success - mainly with a .jpg of old topo maps.

Most phone camera lenses are wide angle, and create some geometric distortion. (Take a close photo of a long horizontal straight line and you can see the curve effect)

This may work, but to "tune out" the distortions, you will at the very least need a lot more match points.

Not available for Android?

Maprika is definitely available for Android. I've had it on my phone for a year, but haven't figured out how to use it. Everybody makes it sound simple, but it isn't intuitive to me. To be honest, I haven't messed around with it much.

Maprika is definitely available for Android. I've had it on my phone for a year, but haven't figured out how to use it. Everybody makes it sound simple, but it isn't intuitive to me. To be honest, I haven't messed around with it much.
Where do you get it? I searched the play store but couldn't find it.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom