Relics, IHPs, and a V at the 1st townsite today.

TommyJay

Forum Supporter
Drove over to the first townsite this morning to meet up with a hunting buddy just in time to see the ranch finish carting the silage away. The townsite is ready to harvest!

IMG_20220618_132404058_HDR.jpg

Most of my finds were relics with a clock wind, and the buckle being the nicest. I also found another sprayer which makes it about 6 or 7 I found here. Too bad some of these relics were damaged because they looked like they could have been nice.

IMG_20220618_165004759 (2).jpg

The button are always nice to find.

IMG_20220618_165453080 (2).jpg

5 more miners tags to add to my collection. Most of which were deep.

IMG_20220618_164414539 (2).jpg

The only coins were a 1904 V nickel, 1945 wheat, and 1893 & 1907 IHPs.

IMG_20220618_164433591 (2).jpg

Ill try hammer this place as much as I can before July 1st. The "Root slayer" shovel I purchased is doing a nice job. I was concerned about the ring handle, but it adds some ergonomics to the shovel.

Thanks for looking, and HH!

Congrats on the IHPs, Wheat and V.
You`ve got alot of area to cover. Good Luck in the future. :thumbsup:

Excellent hunt Tommy. I just love digging those overalls/coat buttons and being able to research the company. Those are some nice looking IHP's there as well and your V has some nice definition to it!

That’s some nice coins. I was hoping to find some IHPs yesterday. I must not be hunting the right spots for them.

Good luck on your next hunt.

Congrats on the "V" and the IHs! Looks like you found a good site there.

Thank you! This is the 2nd year that we had permission to hunt. Its been a good producer so far.

Congrats on the IHPs, Wheat and V.
You`ve got alot of area to cover. Good Luck in the future. :thumbsup:

Thanks Nick.

Nice finds. Gives me a little hope. Thanks for posting.

Thank you, and youre welcome!

Excellent hunt Tommy. I just love digging those overalls/coat buttons and being able to research the company. Those are some nice looking IHP's there as well and your V has some nice definition to it!

Thanks, Silverhorse!

That’s some nice coins. I was hoping to find some IHPs yesterday. I must not be hunting the right spots for them.

Good luck on your next hunt.

Thanks MDM! The townsite started in 1903, and folded in the mid 1950s after natural gas and oil replaced most of the coal industry. I think I found only one modern coin here, so every signal is game. Pulled out a lot of junk too. My 5 gallon bucket is getting full!

Very cool finds. Thank you for sharing the pictures.

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk

Thanks Indy!

Thanks MA!

Excellent finds congratulations! I Haven't found an IH yet this year:(

Thanks BP! Finding them earlier than 1900 here is uncommon. Finding them earlier than 1890 is on the rare side. The oldest coin I have found here so far is an 1889 Finnish Pennia.

You sure have a nice site to detect! I've read the history of that coal company and have seen some color lithographed postcards from the 1910 era that show the old town. Very nice place to detect.

Like this one? Today we were hunting the house area in the upper left side.

monarch14 (2).jpg

There are 6 coal townsites here, and we have hunted 2, which has shrunk to 1.5 since a ranch bought up some coal company land. Id love to hunt the oldest, and probably the largest one, but we have not yet sought permission from the landowner. This 1st site that we have been hunting had the 2nd most number of houses. The ranch permission has been a blessing for us!

Back
Top Bottom