Recently buried items?

Missouri Mule

I recently viewed some videos that compared various detectors used on recently buried items. In one case the fellow buried them then immediately detected the various items (silver coins, rings, clad stuff) using different detectors. In a test depth of 7" one appeared to be much better than the other, but especially when tested at a depth of 11". I was told the tests were invalid as recently buried items can be difficult, having there own set of issues. As to 11" depths, are that many targets located at these depths? What do you think. Thanks

I recently viewed some videos that compared various detectors used on recently buried items. In one case the fellow buried them then immediately detected the various items (silver coins, rings, clad stuff) using different detectors. In a test depth of 7" one appeared to be much better than the other, but especially when tested at a depth of 11". I was told the tests were invalid as recently buried items can be difficult, having there own set of issues. As to 11" depths, are that many targets located at these depths? What do you think. Thanks

Soil! In my Texas clay, a freshly buried target is terrible after 6 inches. Most of those tests you see like that are in the friendliest soil, sandy or highly humas, garden type soil. Florida has lots of that soil.

An 11" find with trustworthy information pre dig, is rare and found ONLY by the elite machines. jm2c

Personal opinion: The field is my preferred test garden.

I know this may raise hackles among test garden aficionados, however...time has proven that..

100 years in the ground (or less) can have a substantial impact on metal and the dirt around it to include halo effect, mineralization, other metals surrounding a target, site conditions, possible EMI, detector used, coil types, user experience, soil moisture content, target makeup (iron, brass, silver, lead, or combinations thereof. Hunt types..water, land, gold prospecting, relics, coins, ect.

The list goes on but all of the above will definitely affect what we do.

Is there a detector made old or new that can deal with, solve, or overcome the above issues?? Can test gardens actually reproduce site conditions? Do gold prospectors hide little bitty nuggets under "test" rocks? Do ocean hunters have a "test" beach?? Did I just answer my own question??

Are you taken aback when the VDI color image shows "1942 WALKER SILVER HALF"!!! and out pops a Merry Widows can??

I think the unknowns are what keeps us going, buying new detectors, using old ones, and enjoying the hobby.

I tried to find a dart board icon to paste here but file size is limited.:D

Last edited:
Yeah, I'm in agreement. First of all I believe the freshly buried items a r really only marginally better than air testing. However It may offer some filter for some machines. I would never discount any form of testing, however its effectiveness to replicate real world situations may not be true.

We have all seen the minelab machines doing not as well in the air test and trying to replicate compaction would be improbable.

Not sure if this is the place for me to come out of the closet on my opinion of the silver halo or not, but here goes. Go ahead a grasp now.

As I researched the halo effect, it talks about how the corrosion of the metal leaches in to the the surrounding soil. This tiny flakes of rusted metal surrounding the iron provide extra surface area for your detectors signal to bounce back off of thereby making the iron false.

However in my opinion, the silver is a different matter. While silver can, does and will corrode. I believe is is so very miniscule, this is not what gives the enhanced sound on silver. Nothing can make it sound like, "more" silver or "better" silver. Not possible. However we do know silver can come in more louder on certain occasions. We also know moisture in the ground can make the signals appear stronger. So in my opinion the so called silver halo is moisture trapped on and above the coin. In other words, the coin has prevented some moisture from soaking down. Trapping it so to speak.

You all have helped me to better understand the issues involved with buried items. Thank you. My take away on this is that there will always be new surprises and twists to one's knowledge and experience. There are no magical detecting machines, just patient determination and consistent follow through on signals. May you all find success in this year's season.

My 2¢

Freshly buried targets do have some testing value if you plan to hunt for freshly buried items.

OK, now that may seem obvious but a lot will not see the value. Of course most hunt for old targets that have been in the ground 100's of years, but not everyone. When I hunt for gold in a tot lot in most cases it will be something that was freshly dropped. If I hunt a freshly plowed field that may be the site of and old fort/campsite/skirmish then again, I'm going to be finding mostly topsoil targets. And we all know there are a few really great detectors for hunting those deep hard packed soils that don't do so well in a freshly plowed field.

I will agree there is no magic wand/detector, but the right tool for the right job IS important.

My 2¢

Freshly buried targets do have some testing value if you plan to hunt for freshly buried items.

OK, now that may seem obvious but a lot will not see the value. Of course most hunt for old targets that have been in the ground 100's of years, butnot everyone. When I hunt for gold in a tot lot in most cases it will be something that was freshly dropped. If I hunt a freshly plowed field that may be the site of and old fort/campsite/skirmish then again, I'm going to be finding mostly topsoil targets. And we all know there are a few really great detectors for hunting those deep hard packed soils that don't do so well in a freshly plowed field.

I will agree there is no magic wand/detector, but the right tool for the right job IS important.

Good points Detector...hard to argue with facts..

Freshly buried target tests have value.
Older buried target test have value.

I don’t think any detecting manufacturer has an on-site at their facility 100 year old test garden.

So testing in the wild is done. After a detector looks good on paper. Looking good on paper though is different (expectations) depending on the detector model.

Some detectors fair better on freshly buried, some detectors fair better on older buried.

An 11" find with trustworthy information pre dig, is rare and found ONLY by the elite machines. jm2c

Not so.
I agree an 11" find with accurate info is very rare and usually entails a stellar tool which most of the time means bigger bucks. ..but not always.
Here in the deep south it is just a dream but back in Kansas and Missouri in that almost perfect dirt I hit on several targets with good ID's at between 10-14".
It was a rare thing, only happened because 98% of all targets I have ever dug have been lying at 6" or less in three different states but once in awhile I came across a deep one.
No one was more surprised than me to dig a target super deep that was identified so well from the surface.
Again, rare, but I did it a few times and more than once...enough to decide this was no fluke.

The detector I did this with was an F70, nowadays renamed the Patriot.
Most owners have always said this is way more capable of a machine than most realize.
At $399 I bet the Patriot can do the same under the same conditions and circumstances and no way is that considered an elite machine.
Well, I do, but I have seen it do way more than just go deep.

Otherwise you are correct...11" and perfect ID's are tough, to do it 100% of the time I would think is impossible by even the most elite.

Last edited:
Again, I thank all of you for your replies.

It appears that tests can mean all kinds of things, depending on who is reading the results, how they read it, and why. That goes for any science or industry. From what all I have read, and that is a lot, I have come to the realization that it is far more important to take the time and really learn a detector than to bounce around from one to another in the hopes of finding the "best" one, as they do not exist, except in the eyes of the user.

There is a nationally known detectorist (I know personally through much correspondence) who does consistently well having used only one machine from the beginning and eventually learned well through patience and lots of detecting time. Many years into the hobby and he is still using the same detector. He will will not even make a recommendation on a particular make and model. His vast experience and success leads one to conclude that the best detecting machine is the one you have spent enough time with that you know pretty much what certain signal means, even the smallest ones. And all this in conjunction with knowing where to detect and how to detect it.

My desire to metal detect comes from a deep, long-lasting love of history, especially local. I am far more interested in detecting areas I know of due to their history than just to find coins and relics in general. I hope my long found love of history and in-depth research will help me persevere long enough to do well with a detector. When things warm up a local detectorist has been kind enough to make the offer to take me out on some hunts so I can test drive a few well proven detecting machines. Being 6'6" there will likely be one that is a better fit ergonomically. I can't wait to give them a try.

Back
Top Bottom