10" coil???

tim4

Hey guys, I am a newb thinking about making the f2 my first metal detector. I see they have packages and was wondering if the 10" coil is worth the extra $60. I see they have one with an 11" dd coil also, would that be worth the extra money? I'm not really on a budget, but I realize I need to learn the hobby progressively. Any other thoughts would be appreciated, thanks.

I am not sure why the F2 drivers have failed to respond.... So I will from a more generic view point.

If I were in your position, I would be more interested in a smaller coil. Get the sniper coil. It will unlock some areas for you that would have been closed otherwise.

Sorry, didn't see this one.
I have that coil but not a lot of time on it yet.

The package with the 3 concentric coils would be my choice if I were a newbie.
The sniper is my prime coil on my F2 and has been since July, and it stays on there because it has helped me find 4 gold rings, some silver chains and a whole bunch of clad and other good targets that I missed using the larger 8".
I got the 10" late in the summer and don't have a lot of time with it but this is my impression.
It is better than the 8" because, like the sniper, it seems to be bothered a bit less when it comes to EMI.
In dry soil the signals were clearer and more stable with a little more depth than the 8".
In moist or wet soil is where this large coil can really shine.
Even more depth over the 8", about 2" more and maybe even 3".
The large coil is best used at sites that are wide open and where you want to go deep, although lots of trash will bother it but that is the same on the 8" and the DD coil, too.

Some do get the package with the DD coil and start with that, but pinpointing with the DD coils is not the same as with the concentrics but can be learned easily if you are leaning that way.
A newbie just starting out would have an easier time with the round coils when learning all you need to know starting out, and easier to learn pinpointing, too.
The DD coil is better in mineralized soil, but I hunted up in Michigan a few times and most of that state has great dirt, except for the UP where they have to deal with a bunch of iron.

As far as prices on coils, there is not much better deals than the cheap prices Fisher puts on their round coils for the F2.
If you decide you want to get the DD coil because with that wide scanning field it is great if you are hunting large, wide open areas and want to cover some ground a little faster, (less overlapping with a DD coil), but the price is double what the concentric costs and unless you have a mineralization problem not quite the deal as the 10" concentric.

My advice...get the 3 coil deal, start out learning with the sniper till you get the hang of it, switch to the 10" if you are in large areas or older areas and need to go deeper, and keep that 8" around as a spare.

If money is tight you can start with the 2 coil deal and get the 10" later like I did, but out of all the coils the 8" is the noisiest and the most susceptible to EMI and harder to learn on than the other coils available for the great F2.
The perfect package would be a 10" and sniper, but Fisher doesn't offer one like this.
Contact a few of our dealers like Bart at Big Boys or a few others and see what they can do for you on a package.

I don't have the F2 but...

My ACE 250 performed 10 TIMES better when I went from the concentric to the "DD" coil. I don't have a sniper for the ACE yet but I have a 10" DD and a 5" sniper for my Sovereign and they both have a place in the style of detecting I do. So I say get the 11" DD and a sniper and be happy.

My ACE 250 performed 10 TIMES better when I went from the concentric to the "DD" coil. I don't have a sniper for the ACE yet but I have a 10" DD and a 5" sniper for my Sovereign and they both have a place in the style of detecting I do. So I say get the 11" DD and a sniper and be happy.

I don't have the DD coil on my F2, but I do have one mounted on my Vaquero and love it when I use it.

One issue here is he is a brand spanking newbie at all this stuff and I do believe the initial learning process is easier on concentrics than with the DD.
Also several F2 owners that have used both the DD ccoil and the 10" do not report a huge amount of difference in performance or depth with the DD over the 10" except for that longer scanning field.

With the Ace's it might make a huge difference and be a whole different ballgame with DD's but I don't have a clue about that because I have never swung one of those, either.

Back
Top Bottom