What do you guys think

I have to agree with the general census. If liability is his only concern, detecting without asking removes his liability. Now that you have asked, detecting anyway is risky.

.......I was reluctant to call the dentist office for permission but another hunting buddy persuaded me to try. I called one office and they directed me to the office the owner is located. This office took down my info even though I'm a complete stranger AND in 10 mins the property owner called me back. I asked him if I could detect the property and that I would show him anything I found there if he was interested. Also, offered to give any finds he may want (being very generous at this point in my detecting). He said sure go anytime you want, just give me a call. Honestly was blown away:).....

Awesome! Nice job. There will be people who poo-poo the idea of letter writing and cold calling, but it's worked for me.

There are property owners out there that totally get it. They are actually curious about the world, maybe love history, would like to know more about their property, but they know they'll never go out and detect. Some of these people end up owning multiple properties and if you treat them right they'll keep you busy.

Make good on the promise to show him your finds. So what if it costs a silver dime or old pennies to have more places to detect? Property owners taking your goodies rarely happens anyway. Send them a "report" with a photo of the finds, brief descriptions, and include a coin or relic or two that you think they might find interesting. Do some research on the property and include a brief summary. I've used Census data to put together timelines of who lived in a house, how many kids, what kinds of jobs they had, etc... Let them know your favorite find and thank them for the opportunity to find it.

To be clear, I don't approach every property like this, even with the same owner. There are times when the property owner truly doesn't care what you find and you just say "thanks!" snag a few coins and move on.

He said sure go anytime you want, just give me a call. Honestly was blown away:)
Wow, it’s awesome that you got permission to detect. I’m not sure I would have called the dentist’s office either, but obviously it worked for you…so who knows what I’d do now, in a similar situation.
OK, I'm interested in road cycling. However, I kind of went crazy my first year of cycling and biked 5500 miles. Somehow my spine really didn't like staying in the same position for all that time, which caused me to partially rupture a disc in the thoracic spine. So I've stopped biking a lot which is sad. I'm trying to continue PT exercises and strengthen my back. A large part of why I started detecting is because I stopped biking as much.
Well, you should give up that whole Road Bike thing anyway…way too dangerous…and come join us on the Dark Side!! Mountain bikes, baby, that’s where it’s at!! I can relate to the back issues though. Stupid actions in my youth have led to a loss of the disk between L5 and S1, and the loss of most of the disk between L4 and L5. Oddly, riding a bike doesn’t bother me at all, and I’ve done some long races…including a 237 mile race in the U.P. of Michigan that took 27 hours. It was a blast. So stop that skinny tire stuff, and go grab yourself a mtn bike instead. :)

Wait until the property sells and ask the new owner. Don't mention your previous attempt to get permission. Before you bring up detecting, compliment the property, mention that you live nearby, and tell them you have two reason for calling. One, you're interested in what they're going to do with it. Second, you have this hobby and are always looking for new places to go. etc...

ToySoldier... I was going to suggest that also... waiting until the property is sold and trying to get permission from the new owner.

As the founder of Digital Equipment Corp, Ken Olsen would say "Do the right thing". Worked for them in Massachusetts and New Hampshire for 24 years.

Well, you should give up that whole Road Bike thing anyway…way too dangerous…and come join us on the Dark Side!! Mountain bikes, baby, that’s where it’s at!! I can relate to the back issues though. Stupid actions in my youth have led to a loss of the disk between L5 and S1, and the loss of most of the disk between L4 and L5. Oddly, riding a bike doesn’t bother me at all, and I’ve done some long races…including a 237 mile race in the U.P. of Michigan that took 27 hours. It was a blast. So stop that skinny tire stuff, and go grab yourself a mtn bike instead.[/QUOTE]

I used to mtn bike when I was a teenager but was scared of all the jumps and technical stuff (I'm a wimp). Once I got on a road bike I felt like this is what I should have been doing. I really enjoy doing the longer adventure rides. I feel like staying in the road position for 8+ hrs can't be that great for you. You're hardcore, can't imagine doing over 200 mi of mtn riding. I wanted to do a 200 mi road ride... right now by back hurts after 30 miles. Some people say I should try gravel riding instead.

ToySoldier... I was going to suggest that also... waiting until the property is sold and trying to get permission from the new owner.

As the founder of Digital Equipment Corp, Ken Olsen would say "Do the right thing". Worked for them in Massachusetts and New Hampshire for 24 years.

I'll try, now I'm hoping the property will get sold. It's only going for $700,000 if anyone's interested.

Back
Top Bottom