Unusual question.

Not waterproof. That means no looking for evidence in the pouring rain. AT Pro would be just the thing. Relatively inexpensive (definitely cheaper than DFX), waterproof, and easy to use.

Would you want to detect all day in the pouring rain with a detector that would not be capable of finding the evidence you are looking for,or use a detector another day that will locate the evidence you need?

The AT PRO is a great detector that I use for coins and relics, but I would NOT use for finding finding evidence for a crime!!

Would you want to detect all day in the pouring rain with a detector that would not be capable of finding the evidence you are looking for,or use a detector another day that will locate the evidence you need?

The AT PRO is a great detector that I use for coins and relics, but I would NOT use for finding finding evidence for a crime!!

I think that the AT Pro will find guns, knives, lead, shell casings, phones, etc - just as well as a DFX. They aren't generally looking for deep coins and small gold rings.

Good choice. A time proven great machine.

I agree also. something more advanced like the Equinox 800 (but not necessarily better for the task at hand) will take to much unnecessary time to learn. AT Pro is basically load a mode and go type of machine. very, very dependable and tough.

Im in Law Enforcement and one of my Detectives at the Department has asked me to purchase a detector to assist in evidence recovery (firearms, knives, spent shell casings etc.). Any thoughts on what direction I should go with a detector?
Thanks in advance for the assistance.

What we do is a Specialized Skill and not so much the gear we run.......Its what we do daily....Just getting a rig for your Dept isnt going to be the easy magic you seek...Its not as easy as a TSA booboo wanding old Grandma's bloomer hidden titanium hip for her to board a flight, or even sweeping a HS kid for his TrapperKeeper grommets or dope pipe...

If I was in your shoes, I'd call upon some of us old coilists that reside in your vicinity for Crime Scene evidence collection and Human tracking tutilidge to your Force.....

I mean hey, this is what we do on the daily...We are very skilled at tracking down Humans through the fog of Time....We can be a fast and efficient 'Force Multiplier' for you.....Way much faster, more accurate, and cheaper than an AtPro in the trunk...Forget about it!

Let your detectives triangulate cell phone tower pingage and DNA processing, fill out the paper work, get the search warrants...Let us Coilists find the casings/knives/weapons hard metallic evidence for the assist!....theres just too much to this to expect somebody to know WTH they are doing with ANY rig!....

By the time your detective figures out how to turn the rig on, we have the evidence located...You can find us everywhere if you get out early and look around hard enough...I bet theres a Grand Master Coilist not a mile from where you live...and Hes got the gear! He is up all night, with nothing else to do...Johnny on the spot! Waiting for the call of Duty to lend a helping hand in all weather! Like me! :laughing:

I mean Hey, you just dont get a dog from the pound and give it to one of your guys and say, "OK, Heres your fussin' Pooch! You are now the Depts Canine Expert!" Do ya?

Plausible Scenario: "Shots fired! Shots fired! Drug gang shoot out At the Piggley Wiggley parking lot! Corner 4th and Elm! All units respond!"

Down there your guys go with their rigs to collect the evidence...Theres massive overhead EMI from the Pigg Refrigeration unit transformers, theres steel wire webbing underneath the concrete parking lot, and its snowing like Billy be damned!

No way a guy who is inexperienced would find a 9mm round let alone the casing! Hell! most couldnt find the hood off a Ford Ranger in those conditions! They would simply radio back in, "On scene, Crank call, Nothing happened here"! Close the file....:laughing:

Yes, us old guys are good at finding metal, but then again, you knew that...

Last edited:
I'm new here, but another thought. Check to see if any Law Enforcement grant money is available for special equipment at both the state and federal level. The US Dept. of Justice may have equipment or grant money to help get either a better machine or additional coils, accessories etc...Then you might get the department to spring for the best machine, especially if they know funds are coming, as well as get you networking with the grant folks!

Back
Top Bottom