Nox 800 question

Silver_Seeker

Elite Member
I feel sort of dumb here.

I just unboxed my Nox 800 and am a bit confused. What it the purpose of the WM08 transmitter if the headphones pair to the detector?

The transmitter is so you can use ANY headphones with the unit and still use the 800 wirelessly, some prefer the wired to blue tooth. Something to do about lag of signal, go figure. I like being able to take the phone calls while out detecting so I love the Bluetooth. The detector switches back to speaker when you answer the headphones. I have to be able to field calls at all times for my job so it is convenient. I would love it if my Zlink did that as well.

Yep. Minelab’s Wi-Stream technology is just a blink faster than Bluetooth, the VERY experienced operator will notice. For most people Bluetooth works fine, but is limited to which phones are compatible. When I had my Equinox I had wished they had made the WM08 with a 1/4” jack but that’s immaterial now since it’s gone. You’ll likely enjoy it SS, it’s a nice machine.

I would think the lag time should be same between the wireless headphones and the wireless receiver, especially since the transmitter is the same. However using a good over the ear metal detecting headphones, kile detector pro grey ghost or Killer B's and others really block out ambient noise and it helps you hear those signals better.

The transmitter is not the same. Minelab's Bluetooth and Minelabs's Wi-Stream are two different transmitters.

When I am just doing normal coin/jewelry hunting I don't mind the small lag I notice with Minelab's low latency APTX Bluetooth system. If I am at a saltwater beach going for deep targets or prospecting for small gold nuggets in high mineralization I prefer the WM08 Wi-Stream system which has no lag that I can notice.

Jeff

I've been playing with the WM08 lately and I can perceive improvements over the bluetooth headphones. Battery life is better and signal output seems stronger, although that may be an artifact of the headphones I'm using (I had to drop volume from 20 to 15, it was too loud). It also pinpoints a *touch* better. Whether it improves my hunting is another question.

I did not like the sound of the wireless headphones that came with my 800.
Since Minelab is bluetooth 4.2 and most wireless headphones are bluetooth 5.0 it is hard to find bluetooth 4.2 compatible wireless headphones.

a member told me about Trond BH01 bluetooth 4.2 wireless headphones which have much better fidelity.

So with the WM-08 you can use any wired headphones. I use it with some older Telex headphones for my water hunting. I just connect them to the WM-08 in my vest pocket when I am wading in the water.

Bluetooth wireless won't even work with the control head 2 inches under water.

Back
Top Bottom