Splitting wedge

joe dert

Elite Member
Can anyone positively identify this wood splitting wedge? 10.5 inches long..I don’t usually get excited over this kind of stuff but it’s pretty cool. Thanks

Attachments

• 72E73D6B-ABD7-4A3B-80C2-228086243B3D.jpg
    72E73D6B-ABD7-4A3B-80C2-228086243B3D.jpg
    45.3 KB · Views: 421
  • FB1E4ADF-F7E4-4F24-93BC-A217B852CFB7.jpg
    FB1E4ADF-F7E4-4F24-93BC-A217B852CFB7.jpg
    44.3 KB · Views: 401
Doesn't a wedge get hit by a sledgehammer? That doesn't look like it's been pounded on. Interesting though. Good find.

Doesn't a wedge get hit by a sledgehammer? That doesn't look like it's been pounded on. Interesting though. Good find.

Nope.. not spalled that I can tell through the rust..I have a selection of cold chisels...some are spalled and some not..depends on how much I’ve used them... perhaps this was lost while in fairy new condition..

Could it be a tent stake?

Looks similar but not identical to other wedges I’ve seen. Weighs about 5 lbs..imagine packing a dozen of those with your tent....circus tent maybe..you could drive this monster into asphalt....

Can you clean the top and see if there's numbers or anything? The head almost looks like a USGS survey marker. I come across them often

yeaaaaaaaah, same.

Yeah..check out some newer styles...the one by Estwing...or the Oregon...or search eBay and see some that look like a long Oregon...then search older styles...both newer and older wedges had styles intended for splitting a log into 4 quarters, or in half...old smooth 4 sided slim 11+ inches..short fat classic wedge ones..pyramid shaped..hollow with a wooden plug to hammer on..with flutes..without flutes..with fins..with twists..rounded, squared, rectangular in cross section, etc

Last edited:
Can you clean the top and see if there's numbers or anything? The head almost looks like a USGS survey marker. I come no numbersacross them often

Zapping it right now...just checked it an hour ago and changed the water..no numbers visible yet..I’m fairly certain it’s cast steel...with a softer structural steel plug in the top...and it is in fact looking like the top is spalled by hammering...

If it’s a survey marker it’s in a surveyed 40 x 120 city lot...10 feet from my front door

When I’m done with electrolysis I’m going to go split some wood and post the pics.... I better hurry...winter is coming.....

If it’s a survey marker it’s in a surveyed 40 x 120 city lot...10 feet from my front door

Just thinking out loud, the top seemed like the ones I find all over (the metal in metal). But not ones that mark properties and lots, I'm talking about the federal ones that used to determine things like STR for large scale mapping by the federal government.

Back
Top Bottom