Considering Garrett Ace 350 for Colorado Mountains

WolfgangStiller

I am talking to Bart and about to buy the Ace 350 but am concerned about its limited ground balance. I will be mostly using it here in the Colorado Mountains and back woods areas and am concerned about the heavily mineralized and clay soils. Does anyone have experience with the 350 in areas like this? Do I really need a more expensive model like the AT Pro to get around this problem?

IMO, yes you need to have a detector with ground balance that isn't preset to get good depth. I would look at the MXT Pro, Teknetics T2, Minelab 705, Tesoro Lobo, Vaquero, as well as the AT Pro. Your going to get into tough ground sometimes because of minerals. There are more units that will work( I use M6) study close and get the features you like. HH CG

IMO, yes you need to have a detector with ground balance that isn't preset to get good depth. I would look at the MXT Pro, Teknetics T2, Minelab 705, Tesoro Lobo, Vaquero, as well as the AT Pro. Your going to get into tough ground sometimes because of minerals. There are more units that will work( I use M6) study close and get the features you like. HH CG

I read the 350 manual and it kinda sounds like it will set ground balance automatically based on the current surface every time you turn it on but it doesn't really come out and say that. One person told me it has a fixed set for ground balance rather than doing an automatic analysis the way the AT Pro can do. Does anyone know for sure?

I read the 350 manual and it kinda sounds like it will set ground balance every time you turn it on but it doesn't really come out and say that. Does anyone know for sure?

I don't think so, I couldn't find a balance button in the picture of the 350 and it doesn't say auto or manual ground balance. Call a dealer and ask if is preset.

You will be happy with the AT Pro,it's alittle nose heavy but you can alway's pick up the 5x8 coil an lighten it up.luv my at pro an seek'spretty deep, very easy to learn.

I think you will disappointing if you get a "fixed" unit. I would recommend a machine with a ground balance feature. I love the AT Pro but everybody is different, you need to compare a few detectors and pick the one that fits you. As for the AT Pro being nose heavy, I changed the grip on mine, that put my hand in a more natural position and balanced the machine. I will post that tomorrow.

I think you will disappointing if you get a "fixed" unit. I would recommend a machine with a ground balance feature. I love the AT Pro but everybody is different, you need to compare a few detectors and pick the one that fits you. As for the AT Pro being nose heavy, I changed the grip on mine, that put my hand in a more natural position and balanced the machine. I will post that tomorrow.

Thanks--I'd like to see what you did.

How does ground balance differ from sensitivity?

What does the ground balance circuitry do?

to begin with ground balance and sensitivity are two completely different things a great source of info for all those questions is modern metal detectors revised by charles garrett

to begin with ground balance and sensitivity are two completely different things a great source of info for all those questions is modern metal detectors revised by charles garrett

Link to free book online? Or is this a tech article? Or what?

Finally made a choice.

I was really tempted by the large price difference to take a chance on the 350. I had to give this a lot of consideration but realized that I'd just eventually upgrade to a more capable model. For me the better ground balance, the waterproofness, and the variable tones of Pro Mode sold me.

I wound up ordering from Bart from BigBoysToys; I ordered the AT Pro. Lesche, and a PP. Bart provided some good information, great prices, and really fast shipping. The package from Bart arrived last night. My wife and did some quick bench tests to get familiar with the tones in Pro mode and gave it a test drive on our property. We're both delighted!

Congrats!!

Would like to see that grip changed pix. :yes: @ WolfgangStiller, Good choice....just got my this past week. g/l

http://metaldetectingforum.com/showthread.php?t=124434

http://metaldetectingforum.com/showthread.php?t=124648

Congrats on your purchase. I recently upgraded to the AT Pro and I have been very pleased. Best of luck to you.

Back
Top Bottom