Wife may let me get a Nox 600 :) Advice?

good point! well taken! anybody listening?..it's a hobby people!..funny how some are using 5 tones when many detectors have 5 tones already!..they bought because of the "alleged"
advantage of simultaneous "multi-tones,so why buy it in the first place if you are gonna use 5 tones,and NOT multi?..christ,i use a tesoro mojave and find tons of good stuff.$251.00 as opposed to $899.00..tesoro's a killer in iron and trash been around forever and is analog design!..think people!.do your research!

(h.h.!)
j.t.

Tesoro is good in iron and trash no doubt , but you obviously have no idea what the NOX will do. That kind of makes your points here invalid.

Here’s a link to show the differences in the 2 models of Equinox.

Modern trash hunting, 800 model better choice.
Beach hunting a toss up.
Coin hunting in general with select digging, 800 has the edge.
Want to use whatever headphones wireless, 800 the one to get.

Gold nugget hunting, 800 the one to get.

Note the advanced settings differences talked about in this link.

https://www.detectorprospector.com/...ersus-equinox-800/?tab=comments#comment-48982

https://www.minelab.com/__files/f/322507/4907-0969-1 Brochure, EQUINOX Series AQ 4p EN US WEB.pdf

good point! well taken! anybody listening?..it's a hobby people!..funny how some are using 5 tones when many detectors have 5 tones already!..they bought because of the "alleged"
advantage of simultaneous "multi-tones,so why buy it in the first place if you are gonna use 5 tones,and NOT multi?..christ,i use a tesoro mojave and find tons of good stuff.$251.00 as opposed to $899.00..tesoro's a killer in iron and trash been around forever and is analog design!..think people!.do your research!

(h.h.!)
j.t.

When clad hunting i use 5 tones in multi, thats the park 1 mode. I have found plenty of silver with the machine too. I have only found 1 gold, but thats because I dont dig much in the gold range because nobody is dropping gold jewerly in poor neighborhoods/parks. My most suprizing find was a barber dime ~9" deep in an old park where I have run into other detectorists that told me they have been all over the park, multiple times. Been using park 2 which is 50 tones in multi, and been finding insanely small non ferrous items, deeper than 6" many times with iron in the hole. One i can rememeber was a .22 cartridge over 12" deep, i almost gave up digging because i thought it was falsing when i pulled 2 square nails out at 9", but the signal improved once i got the nails out. Also the nox800 is literally 4 different detectors in one.

Last edited:
Having used the AT Pro for 4+ years and then bought the AT MAX and now own the NOX 800 here is my experience.

First, I wasn't that impressed with the AT MAX personally. It is probably a better detector but I just didn't get that experience. In fact, I traded my AT MAX back for another AT Pro. Then I hunt mostly tot lots/Schools/Parks.

Second, I just simply love my 800. Sold my AT Pro, my Deus, and my E-Trac and not missing any of them. I find the learning curve little if at all a factor. But then I am pretty experienced in making the best from new detectors in a short time. I felt the 800 was very straight forward in operation. A little on the hot side compared to what I like. By that I mean stability. Not as stable as the AT Pro but a tad better than the Deus IMO with no adjusting. A little adjusting and the 800 is quite stable.

I have learned to developed a quick basic opinion of detectors having tried very many. I rate the 800 as one of the quickest lean detectors I've tried in a long time.

I think you'd be very happy with the Equinox, be it a 600 or 800.

Thanks everyone for the information. Still not sure what (if anything) I'll get. The 800 sounds really tempting though

Great post and feedback! A lot of us are thinking about abandoning our other rigs and getting into the NOX...Like you, I base all my decisions on the ROI potential...Good thing is that a NOX will not be a one time shot of money that holds no residual value...you can always sell it and recoup a good portion of your investment...so you would only be 'Out' lets say @ $200 bucks tops...Which is cheap for a money making tool....

The thing that rattles around in my mind are the lightweight/speed/multitones of the NOX...which I love about my F70, and the waterproofness, which I love about my AtPro...BUT, both of these rigs have paid for themselves several times over and consistently do...Both have a bit of a resale value left...Prob @ $400/500 for a fast offload for the pair even..including the phones of course....:laughing:

so Why do I NEED a NOX Again?

Well, I could probably sell both my other rigs to defray the initial outlay, still be able to hammer the hell out of clad as well as water gold with just the NOX 800 rig only...so thats my prudent reasoning...

Will I get one? Based upon well respected Forum Members experiences and the documented infield performance we have seen....I Probably will! A guy cannot argue with results! Most likely this Fall, after the Prime season ends and theres a little lull for a week there in December before the sledding hills get ramped up to full speed after Christmas...

Just thinking I could have one rig instead of two and really commit to learning it and knock mega metallic stink to justify it and make it PAY in 2019!...

So far this season, my money has been made in eyeballing empty cans and wind blown parking lot paper bills...no magic rig woulda helped me at all!...I dont hunt for old silver, theres just no money in it for the effort/profit potentials...I aint in this Sport for the Fun or relaxation! I can do that right here typing for free! Show me the Money!.:laughing:

(h.h.!)
j.t.

Did you seriously just base your argument around a fallacy?

Simultaneous multi-frequency bruh, not tones.

WoW! :laughing:

So I've been swinging an AT Pro for about a year now and I REALLY like it, but I'm considering an upgrade. I've found enough clad that my wife is almost (but not quite) impressed enough to let me get a new detector. I'd likely have to sell one of my other ones (probably the F2) but that's OK.

My question is what's the learning curve going to be like? Would I be better off upgrading to the AT Max (which isn't all that much of an upgrade), or something else?

ETA: The only downside (and what's keeping her from giving me official permission is that I just got a Beretta APX :) picking it up tomorrow if it comes in hopefully)

Forget about the guns and knives get that Equinox.:lol:

Forget about the guns and knives get that Equinox.:lol:

Well, I was at the gun shop and liked the APX, so texted my wife asking if I could get it...fully expecting that she'd say "no"....but when she said "ok", I was shocked...and wasn't about to give up the opportunity to get it...

If I had known she'd let me spend that much, I'd have asked for the 600 instead

Well, I was at the gun shop and liked the APX, so texted my wife asking if I could get it...fully expecting that she'd say "no"....but when she said "ok", I was shocked...and wasn't about to give up the opportunity to get it...

If I had known she'd let me spend that much, I'd have asked for the 600 instead

Lol! Been there before with “She whom I must obey”.

of course this is correct,but the tesoro unmasks as well as any detector available
(2 derivitive) type that is lightening fast recovery speed,and outrageously good in iron,so you are right about that,but just plain WRONG about the tesoro's ability
in trash,and iron! you won't go by anything with a tesoro,so that's just a bunch of (b.s.!)..keep your digital $900.00 wonder toy!..i'll still find a "ton" with my little tesoro mojave,and score gold too!

Great post and feedback! A lot of us are thinking about abandoning our other rigs and getting into the NOX...Like you, I base all my decisions on the ROI potential...Good thing is that a NOX will not be a one time shot of money that holds no residual value...you can always sell it and recoup a good portion of your investment...so you would only be 'Out' lets say @ $200 bucks tops...Which is cheap for a money making tool....

The thing that rattles around in my mind are the lightweight/speed/multitones of the NOX...which I love about my F70, and the waterproofness, which I love about my AtPro...BUT, both of these rigs have paid for themselves several times over and consistently do...Both have a bit of a resale value left...Prob @ $400/500 for a fast offload for the pair even..including the phones of course....:laughing:

so Why do I NEED a NOX Again?

Well, I could probably sell both my other rigs to defray the initial outlay, still be able to hammer the hell out of clad as well as water gold with just the NOX 800 rig only...so thats my prudent reasoning...

Will I get one? Based upon well respected Forum Members experiences and the documented infield performance we have seen....I Probably will! A guy cannot argue with results! Most likely this Fall, after the Prime season ends and theres a little lull for a week there in December before the sledding hills get ramped up to full speed after Christmas...

Just thinking I could have one rig instead of two and really commit to learning it and knock mega metallic stink to justify it and make it PAY in 2019!...

So far this season, my money has been made in eyeballing empty cans and wind blown parking lot paper bills...no magic rig woulda helped me at all!...I dont hunt for old silver, theres just no money in it for the effort/profit potentials...I aint in this Sport for the Fun or relaxation! I can do that right here typing for free! Show me the Money!.:laughing:

hot damn! ..mud man! you can do all of that with a tesoro!..as matter of fact,for years you were 'cooking' with a compadre if memory serves!..a $160.00 detector,and practically making' a living on clad! so what's this? family inheritance?..gonna spend big bucks now on digital stuff?..for years and years you was singin' the praises of tesoro!.ehe he! he! ..thought for sh*T sure you would be "all over" the mojave!..man!..have you changed! ..i'm just saying'

(h.h.!)
j.t.

Tesoro is good in iron and trash no doubt , but you obviously have no idea what the NOX will do. That kind of makes your points here invalid.

don't know to a certainty of course,but i believe the tesoro would find everything your nox would find,and why not?..it's a proven analog design,and its worked for years and years in trash,and in iron!..

don't know to a certainty of course,but i believe the tesoro would find everything your nox would find,and why not?..it's a proven analog design,and its worked for years and years in trash,and in iron!..

Well I used Tesoro for years....silver sabre umax and bandito II umax. Great detectors :yes: and very effective , but no......they are pretty much blind to much of what the equinox and others can pick out of that trash and iron.

Many detectors that were a proven analog design have come and gone , the manufacturers moved on from that old design to better tech.

I purchased a compadre. I have tried it three times. As far as I am concerned I wasted $160.00 dollars.

All I can say is that I have used many different single frequency MDs through the years with successful results. My wife/boss/accountant gave me the green light :Don the EQ600 so I ordered one. With that being said, if multi-frequency is so much better than single frequency then the EQ600 alone should prove to be a very good upgrade from my previous MDs and produce great results once I learn it. I know the EQ800 has more features but for now I will hold onto that $200+ price difference.
It really comes down to what type of hunting you do, budget, and whether you have the patience and time to spend learning a MD with all of the user adjustments found on the EQ800.
I used to swing a DFX years ago and while it was a good machine and multi-frequency, it had a ton of user setting adjustments. I found myself spending a lot of time adjusting the settings but still second guessing myself as to if I truly had it dialed in to the location I was hunting.
I am in no way knocking the EQ800. The feedback on this machine has been really great; just comes down to personal preference. Good luck with which ever one you decide on, you really can't go wrong with either one.:yes:

Back
Top Bottom