What Are These?

mr_whipple

I have found these on and off the past few years since I started detecting, Haven't given them much thought as I always assumed they were some sort of finial etc etc. Well... I found 8 and my friend found 10-11 in a small area today and I can't find them in any book I have and darned if I know what to type into the search engine. Dime for reference.

Attachments

• 20190623_174230_resized.jpg
    20190623_174230_resized.jpg
    44.5 KB · Views: 879
They could be emerods! Smell them they have a nutty odor.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OK.. sorry about the delay in better pics. Life got in the way. Anyway, not a fishing sinker, split or bismuth shot... I wired brushed and steel wooled (not a real word) the crud off of one. It's not lead and isn't magnetic. I don't think it's pewter but what do I know. The tail is hollow, but I can't see any type of threads.

I can't help but think its some type of civil war period piece of military minutia as I've found several in more than a few places that I've been. The kicker was Sunday finding 20 between 2 people. Someone else has had to find one of these.... other items I found that day: harmonica reed, broken spur, flat buttons, round balls, minie balls and a few modern head stamps.

Anyway, thanks for looking and hopefully I can figure this thing out.

Attachments

• IMG_0946_1.jpg
    IMG_0946_1.jpg
    32.9 KB · Views: 582
  • IMG_0947_1.jpg
    IMG_0947_1.jpg
    32.8 KB · Views: 593
  • IMG_0948_1.jpg
    IMG_0948_1.jpg
    27.4 KB · Views: 556
  • IMG_0949_1.jpg
    IMG_0949_1.jpg
    26.6 KB · Views: 562
  • IMG_0950_1.jpg
    IMG_0950_1.jpg
    27.4 KB · Views: 610
I might be wrong, but it looks like a Roosevelt dime and an Indian head penny ? :?: :cool3:

Possibly unused decorative rivets. Push the tail piece through a belt, horse tack, or the like and pound out the little hollow nipple. I have some decorative ornamentation for leather work that work like that. Just a maybe.

Possibly unused decorative rivets. Push the tail piece through a belt, horse tack, or the like and pound out the little hollow nipple. I have some decorative ornamentation for leather work that work like that. Just a maybe.
I just googled 19th century decorative saddles. Several "in images" have similar sized beads.

Back
Top Bottom