Shovel preference

I settled in on the Phoenix. Went ahead and got the rubber foot pads as well.... not sure if they are really necessary but we will see. I’ll post some pics or video when it arrives. Thanks everyone for the suggestions.

Thanks looking forward to hearing your thoughts. Phoenix has been on my short list for a while.

George Lesche makes all the tools on Predator Tools - so they are all Lesche made along with Lesche tools. I am not 100% positive but it seems to me if you buy a "Lesche" tool on amazon - it's his tool. So you probably can't go wrong with anything Lesche and I recommend his tools as well. I use the model 85 digging knife (tool) and am looking into a shovel - I like The Piranha. BUT I also like the smaller one, jut wondering if I can dig the same depth with that one as the smaller one. Thanks everyone!

I believe I've read George Lesche designed and built the Lesche hand digger and other Lesche tools, but he lost the company and rights to the name in a divorce. So if I understand correctly a Lesche is designed by him and made by his former company and Predator diggers/shovels are designed by him and manufactured by his current company.

I have the Lesche (MCI products) hand digger and the Predator Ranger shovel. Just got the Ranger so can't comment on it yet but it looks and feels very well built yet light.

I believe I've read George Lesche designed and built the Lesche hand digger and other Lesche tools, but he lost the company and rights to the name in a divorce. So if I understand correctly a Lesche is designed by him and made by his former company and Predator diggers/shovels are designed by him and manufactured by his current company.

I have the Lesche (MCI products) hand digger and the Predator Ranger shovel. Just got the Ranger so can't comment on it yet but it looks and feels very well built yet light.

Looking forward to hearing how the ranger works for you.

Have looked at phoenix due to double curve. Plugs look excellent in this review
https://youtu.be/ert_0ph8zDs

I've been using the predator tools phoenix shovel for a couple of months now and I'm loving it.
It digs the nicest plugs of any shovel I've ever used (and I've been through a lot of shovels).
It slices through roots with ease and it does not break when prying large plow blades out of the ground in the farm fields like the root slayers shovels do.

It's pricey but well worth it imo... https://www.predatortools.com/collections/shovels/products/all-new-model-24-the-phoenix-shovel

If you can find a genuine issue etool with wooden handle, i think you'd find it very suitable.

This...

I use the same thing and it works very well for most deeper digs. Perhaps someday I will take a grinder too it and put some serrations on the sides like the fancy expensive ones and see how it does. I really like how it folds into a hoe for back-filling and it sure doesn't take up much space.

Happy hunting, gents.

Bluesguitar1 :digginahole:

i also use a root slayer mini shovel and have my small digger velcrowed and ziptied to the stem for easy access to both shovels i have found this to be the best setup for me Radius Garden 22411 Root Slayer Mini-Digger Shovel, Root Slayer Mini-Digger, Red
Visit the Radius Garden Store
4.9 out of 5 stars 155 ratings
Amazon's
Choice
for "root slayer shovel"

I hope a company will make a shovel with a right angle of the big box store trenching shovels with the durability of a predator. The phoenix is close but a right angle trenching shovel doesnt have to come as parallel to ground to pop a plug like all of the MD straight shaft shovels.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I ordered a shovel from predator tools and it shipped on September 4th. I still haven’t received it yet. Should I be concerned? Anybody else experience this before?

I made a switch

PREDATOR , heavier but a huge difference, happy hunting. STILL have my other shovel's but , the 1st pick are my go to , only one thing you have to watch , under ground power line's , the shovel has no mercy :lol:

Attachments

• P1010078.JPG
    P1010078.JPG
    175.9 KB · Views: 474
  • 20110613_1.JPG
    20110613_1.JPG
    82.2 KB · Views: 449
I ordered a shovel from predator tools and it shipped on September 4th. I still haven’t received it yet. Should I be concerned? Anybody else experience this before?

I assume you eventually received the Phoenix? If so, thoughts? I watched Paystreak's video and it does look good.....

I finally did receive my shovel. I absolutely love it. It cuts perfect plugs. I do need to try it out in the woods and see how it does in a little harsher environment.

I finally did receive my shovel. I absolutely love it. It cuts perfect plugs. I do need to try it out in the woods and see how it does in a little harsher environment.

That's awesome. I ordered one yesterday. Can't wait to try it out!

Back
Top Bottom