A deal is a deal (mid-century silver and gold)

teotwawki12

Elite Member
Wasn't sure if I was going to make it out today. Didn't even try yesterday after a Chinese buffet lunch on Wednesday pretty much destroyed my gut... Today felt out of it and dehydrated (you don't need specifics), but figured I'd give it a go.

Staying close to home, I decided to try a place just a couple minutes away. Its a big nice farm house that's on a very major road. And it has a pretty nice lawn, so I've never tried (figured somebody has hit it sometime in the last 40 years too....). But the county is tearing up that particular area to put in new gas lines, which means their front yard is slated to be pretty much torn apart within the next week. So, I stopped by. Happened to catch the couple on their patio on lunch break from work. Since the yard's gonna be ripped up anyway, he was okay with me staying and digging in the front. "If you find a million dollars we split it" was the comment, which is normal. I also told him if I find gold we'd split it too. Okay, he says (we laugh), and they drove off back to work.

Either I was right about it being hit before, or the front yard had a lot of fill (or both). I went after a lot of trash signals for quite a while, coming up with one lonely suspender clip. Was hot, had no energy, and nearly quit when I got my first silver dime (a 1964...just made it). Having slightly renewed energy, I started getting over a few good signals (wheat pennies and such) but started to wear down again. Almost quit again when I got my second silver dime (a 1959).

Well okay, we can keep going a bit. Funny how a good find invigorates you. Things were a little slow as I crossed the driveway over to some apple trees when I dug a solid 18 (or maybe it was a 16). Out pops a pretty large ring. Gotta be fake.....but no, it's got 10K inscribed! And she's a beaut, cracked face and all...

Well, it was about time to go pick up the kid from a bowling field trip. The couple wasn't home yet but they told me if I found anything cool to stop by and show them (they didn't want anything, but were just interested).

But a deal is a deal. Took the ring home and weighed it. 10.6 grams of 10k equals just about $206 in scrap weight by the gold site that I checked. Searching for similar rings online, it seems the men's Roman soldier signet rings were popular in the 1940's-50's (that's from a very brief search on Etsy, not a real investigation). Also suggests that the face is made of hematite.

So, went to the ATM and pulled out $103. Went back to find them home from work, and they were quite surprised with the unexpected money. Said they were going to have a nice dinner.

Because a deal's a deal......

Attachments

• KIMG1760.jpg
    KIMG1760.jpg
    97.1 KB · Views: 685
  • KIMG1763.jpg
    KIMG1763.jpg
    107.9 KB · Views: 669
  • KIMG1762.jpg
    KIMG1762.jpg
    93.2 KB · Views: 661
  • KIMG1764.jpg
    KIMG1764.jpg
    109.3 KB · Views: 662
  • KIMG1765.jpg
    KIMG1765.jpg
    62.2 KB · Views: 674
  • KIMG1772.jpg
    KIMG1772.jpg
    51.7 KB · Views: 651
  • KIMG1771.jpg
    KIMG1771.jpg
    41.4 KB · Views: 640
  • KIMG1770.jpg
    KIMG1770.jpg
    40.2 KB · Views: 667
  • KIMG1768.jpg
    KIMG1768.jpg
    47.2 KB · Views: 675
  • KIMG1766.jpg
    KIMG1766.jpg
    145.7 KB · Views: 662
  • KIMG1773.jpg
    KIMG1773.jpg
    95.7 KB · Views: 650
  • KIMG1774.jpg
    KIMG1774.jpg
    35.9 KB · Views: 646
  • DSCN0553.jpg
    DSCN0553.jpg
    74.8 KB · Views: 666
  • DSCN0554.jpg
    DSCN0554.jpg
    62.6 KB · Views: 654
  • DSCN0555.jpg
    DSCN0555.jpg
    63.8 KB · Views: 648
......But a deal is a deal. Took the ring home and weighed it. 10.6 grams of 10k equals just about $206 in scrap weight by the gold site that I checked. Searching for similar rings online, it seems the men's Roman soldier signet rings were popular in the 1940's-50's......

Nice photos, nice hunt, and nice job of representing the hobby. (Plus, I bet you could get a bit more more than 200 bucks out of it.)

Earlier this year I found a similar silver ring that I dated to mid-century based on the maker mark, location and depth. Mine is nice, but not 200 dollars nice!

Attachments

• uncas ring feb 2019.jpg
    uncas ring feb 2019.jpg
    54 KB · Views: 622
Great hunt, teotw! And fantastic write up & pics, as always! I particularly enjoyed the detail that the site was “just a couple minutes away” :laughing: Excellent foresight in case Montezuma’s Revenge came calling again :shock:

Nice perseverance, and it paid off with a stellar ring! Pretty cool Roman soldier profile on the face. I had no idea that was a thing back in the day - good research!

And stand-up call to honor that informal deal! Huge props for being an exemplary ambassador of the hobby. Well done across the board!

Edit: Love seeing the hose nozzle, too... how the heck do people lose so many of those?? Seems they turn up at 1/3 of the homes I hunt!! Even found one in a park once :?:

Wow that rings a keeper! Nice on ya for the deal keeping, very cool. Like that hose nozzle too :). The pics of the ring with the two silvers are nicely done! Great read, thx!

Oh the sweet, sweet siren song of the Chinese buffet...

Good on you for keeping your end of the deal, it only serves to help our wierdo addiction in the eyes of the masses.

"If you find a million dollars we split it" was the comment, which is normal. I also told him if I find gold we'd split it too. Okay, he says (we laugh), and they drove off back to work.

You did an honorable thing there! A deal is indeed a deal, but it doesn't sound like anybody said 50-50. A "split" could be 60/40, 80/20, or any other division.
Good on ya though! :facepalm:

Back
Top Bottom