Weekend Japan hunting with Larbo and Varelsee

Hey Larbo,

Is the shell in lower left corner of your Great Hunt an earring? If so, I probably got the second one, found on the beach on Miyajima :)

Yeah, it's an earring. It not silver or anything though.

Awesome hunts there guys, WTG! Gotta love the big denomination coins, and very nice they never demonetized them like they did in mexico. I find a ton of coins that are now only worth scrap...

I would love to go hunt with you guys. I also live in Tokyo. I don't have a detector yet thou. But i have an japanese drivers license and a car ;)
I'm thinking of importing a detector from the us.

Skickat från min FRD-L02 via Tapatalk

I would love to go hunt with you guys. I also live in Tokyo. I don't have a detector yet thou. But i have an japanese drivers license and a car ;)

It's probably cheaper to get one from the U.S. I think there is a guy on the Japan forum that used to be a dealer but I'm not sure about now. Let me know when you get a detector and we can go somewhere in the mountains and see if we find anything.

@Larbo
My earring on the pic.

@Rudy
I didnt want to make a show in front of the temple. The beach I looked at was the one on the east side of island. You can get there going along the coast from pier or through the mountsins from Momiji park. In the middle of the mountain you can find really cool and heavy things (photo) :)

The popular part of the beach is probably skimmed before/after the season, so you can find some clad (about 400 Yen in an 1,5 hour), a few pieces of cheap jewellery and nothing from the old stuff. The further part of the beach is not skimmed nor really used by tourists, but got all pulltabs of the world, that gathered there from the see and for decades.

The best spot for me was the Omoto park to the west from the temple - I found there there two XVII century 1 Mon coins, Two 1 Sen coins from the Taisho era and few younger coins (i.e. 10 Australian cents from 1999) in 2-3 hours, all of them just under the ground - no more than 4-6 inches deep. No people around and huge terrain to explore. Decided to sleep there with lullaby performed by the river :)

Attachments

• Screenshot-2017-05-24-23.57.42.jpg
    Screenshot-2017-05-24-23.57.42.jpg
    68.3 KB · Views: 89
  • Screenshot-2017-05-24-23.57.20.jpg
    Screenshot-2017-05-24-23.57.20.jpg
    123 KB · Views: 87
  • Screenshot-2017-05-24-23.58.23.jpg
    Screenshot-2017-05-24-23.58.23.jpg
    65.1 KB · Views: 85
  • Screenshot-2017-05-24-23.57.35.jpg
    Screenshot-2017-05-24-23.57.35.jpg
    38.4 KB · Views: 83
Last edited:
@Rudy
I didnt want to make a show in front of the temple. The beach I looked at was the one on the east side of island. You can get there going along the coast from pier or through the mountsins from Momiji park. In the middle of the mountain you can find really cool and heavy things (photo) :)

The popular part of the beach is probably skimmed before/after the season, so you can find some clad (about 400 Yen in an 1,5 hour), a few pieces of cheap jewellery and nothing from the old stuff. The further part of the beach is not skimmed nor really used by tourists, but got all pulltabs of the world, that gathered there from the see and for decades.

The best spot for me was the Omoto park to the west from the temple - I found there there two XVII century 1 Mon coins, Two 1 Sen coins from the Taisho era and few younger coins (i.e. 10 Australian cents from 1999) in 2-3 hours, all of them just under the ground - no more than 4-6 inches deep. No people around and huge terrain to explore. Decided to sleep there with lullaby from the river :)

Thanks for the reply. I think I know the beach in question, I hiked there from the Tori side of the island. I didn't go to detect, I went primarily for sightseing and to visit the Itsukushima jinja shrine.

That is similar to the earring I found but I would have to look at it again if I can find it. It's probably the same.

Thanks for telling us about the other places you detected. There is good stuff all over Japan but it is always nice if you can find a spot with not many people like that. Those are nice coins. I always like finding the old square holes even if most are not valuable. We could find a lot more here if everywhere wasn't covered in pulltabs.

I hunted a spot today for a few hours and found 3 old coins. They are an old style kanei tsuho (1636-1668), Meiji 1/2 sen with unreadable date (1873-1892) and 1 sen from Taisho or early Showa also with and unreadable date.

I also found ¥40 in clad and a copper ring that broke in half as soon as I picked it up. It has a nice design but I don't know if it is old or not.

Last edited:
I went back to the same area I hunted with Varelsee and Wolf-n-wa. I found 12 old coins this time. From left to right in the first picture they are:

1 & 2. Ta-Kuan Yuan-Bao from 1107-1110. These 2 are the oldest. They are over 900 years old. Japan imported Chinese coins for circulation before minting there own under Tokugawa rule. These coins were also copied in Japan so they may only be 400-500 years old.

3. Unidentified Chinese coin.

4 & 5. Old Kanei Tsuho from between 1636 and 1668.

6. New Kanei Tsuho with Bun mint mark. They were minted from 1668-1683.

7. New Kanei Tsuho minted after 1668.

8 & 9. Bunkyu Eiho -So Bun (Cursive Script). Minted from 1863 and 1868. They were the last Tokugawa coins minted.

10. 5 sen from Meiji 31 (1898). It is copper-nickel and in better condition than most coins I find.

11. 1/2 Sen from Meiji 8 (1875).

12. 1/2 Sen From Meiji 10 (1877).

I also found an old metal tobacco pipe with the bowl broken off, a possible artillery fuse plug ( I might post it separately), a cheap ring, 3 old buttons and, 3 old style reeded ¥10 from the 1950's and ¥143 in new clad.

This area isn't an easy place to hunt. The mountains are steep and the trails have steep drop offs. Flat areas have a lot of junk but a few old coins if you look long enough. The steep slopes seem to have more old coins (and aluminum foil which blows down the slope) but they also seem dangerous. The leaves and loose dirt make it slippery and trees are spaced too far to use as a grip. I lost my digging tool down a slope within a 15 minutes of starting. Luckily I had a gerber folding shovel in my back pack. I found a few coins on the trail that were in debris that washed down from the slope. I think people dropped things down the slope like me, fell or the trail were just followed different paths from today. I climbed up a slope and found coins on more flat areas but I found out it was very difficult to climb up or down from those areas.

If you can rope yourself off and go down slopes you might find a lot but it might be better just to try a different area because the hunting area is just too limited.

Last edited:
C'mon larbo, Stop trying to fool us with those supposed "in-situ" shots . We all know you *planted* that coin in the clod ! 'fess up ! :D

Of course! I had that coin in a flower pot for a few months so I could take picture and post it here. Really I think that is he first picture I have taken of a coin in a clod of dirt. I take pictures and send them to my wife while I hunt. She always replies "ok".

Last edited:
Of course! I had that coin in a flower pot for a few months so I could take picture and post it here.....

Right. Takes a few months of moisture, soil-compaction/settlement, etc... to create the right "in-situ" native clod look. Ok, fess up: You're buying those coins from coin stores, right ? :laughing:

Right. Takes a few months of moisture, soil-compaction/settlement, etc... to create the right "in-situ" native clod look. Ok, fess up: You're buying those coins from coin stores, right ? :laughing:

Yeah. They cost about 25 cents each. :lol:

Last edited:
Really, these coins are mostly not rare. They are old but almost like wheat pennies in the U.S. I think the old 1 sen from Taisho and early Showa are more like wheat pennies but most of the square hole coins are just as common depending on the area you are hunting.

Last edited:

Have you bought a detector yet? Mine is back at Garrett for repairs now but I should have it back in a week or two. Let's find a new spot and see if there is anything good there.

Back
Top Bottom