Need some help

From the picture that is a tough beach. I don't see the normal of what they look like around here during the summer. The little bit of water I do see......... I see no one in it. Looks more like a hang out and party place..which would mean the chances of finding anything besides trash is the only opp. All I can do is wish you luck. What do other hunters say..do they find much?

Good observation, no one in the water. I also noticed that all the vehicles are off road vehicles, sidexsides and jeeps. Its an off roading gathering. Im sure the beach goers show up too, but its people in bathing suits that lose the best stuff.

Good observation, no one in the water. I also noticed that all the vehicles are off road vehicles, sidexsides and jeeps. Its an off roading gathering. Im sure the beach goers show up too, but its people in bathing suits that lose the best stuff.
That pic was a Jeep Topless Weekend but there are lots of busy weekends like that such as Labor Day, Memorial Day, a couple festivals, etc. There are a fair number of people swimming and fishing normally but this pic doesn't show enough water. There is plenty of it. That's the Gulf of Mexico.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Judging from your picture, the people activity is at the high-tide line and the low-tide line, with a 'highway' in between. I'd prospect in a W pattern going down the low-tide zone first, coming back along the high-tide zone. Although the beach is now 'flat', past depressions may be buried within detecting depth and contain some targets. If no joy, then no return. It's definitely a crapshoot. Good luck!

The flat beach is a normal thing. I don't think I've ever seen more than a shallow dip anywhere. What you suggest is pretty much what I have done and occasionally find a few coins. I've heard of a ring or two but I've not seen them.

From the picture that is a tough beach. I don't see the normal of what they look like around here during the summer. The little bit of water I do see......... I see no one in it. Looks more like a hang out and party place..which would mean the chances of finding anything besides trash is the only opp. All I can do is wish you luck. What do other hunters say..do they find much?
Tough it is! This pic doesn't show a lot of water but that is The Gulf Of Mexico so there is plenty of it. There are usually quite a few people swimming and fishing. With that many people partying and playing there should be some goods left behind. The trick is knowing where to start I guess.

Lots of great replies already. For me, if I just arrived at this beach knowing nothing about it I'd start at the "color change" marked in the photo. (where the light sand first turns to darker sand) If nothing there then I'd zig zag high to low looking for a line of heavier targets.

Attachments

• color change.jpg
    color change.jpg
    10.6 KB · Views: 123
Lots of great replies already. For me, if I just arrived at this beach knowing nothing about it I'd start at the "color change" marked in the photo. (where the light sand first turns to darker sand) If nothing there then I'd zig zag high to low looking for a line of heavier targets.
I've only found one place that I could find that line. It was actually in an area that I didn't have high hopes for but it produced quite a few coins, none of which were old. That spot was good for about 3 trips then nothing. I always try it but it hasn't been very good again.

I've only found one place that I could find that line. It was actually in an area that I didn't have high hopes for but it produced quite a few coins, none of which were old. That spot was good for about 3 trips then nothing. I always try it but it hasn't been very good again.

Again, what you are experiencing is completely normal. :yes:

I'm also willing to bet there is competition that hunts when you are not there. So maybe you beat them on the first three trips and then they beat you on the next.

I like to hunt either in water 5 feet deep, or deeper with scuba gear. Most of what I find in dry sand is coins and bottle caps.

Again, what you are experiencing is completely normal. :yes:

I'm also willing to bet there is competition that hunts when you are not there. So maybe you beat them on the first three trips and then they beat you on the next.
There are a few I've seen in the past. This spot is fairly small and not much there to interest serious hunters. I've been back a few times but not much to find. I also see no evidence if any other digging. What I found was above the high tide line and about 10-12" deep. I think it was deposited sometime in the past. Possibly from a hurricane.

I like to hunt either in water 5 feet deep, or deeper with scuba gear. Most of what I find in dry sand is coins and bottle caps.
I'm afraid my scuba days are over. Besides, the water clarity isn't what you would call very good. It would be a fair amount of braille diving.

Personally, I am a "wet sand first" hunter so I rely on sand movement. Since you said that beach erosion from surf is not as common in your area you may want to pay attention to high wind forecasts. Winds over 20 mph are capable of moving sand particles and wind generated surf (even small surf) coupled with extreme high tides can produce some cuts in the sand. Small cuts of only inches can put targets within a detector's range.
Of course, I prefer strong on-shore winds but any strong wind can move dry sand. The sand will blow away and heavier objects will stay put. It is not uncommon in these conditions to find coins laying exposed, sometimes, elevated on little pedestals of sand.
I see this happen a couple times a year at my local beaches so it's not that common but it is somewhat predictable.

Personally, I am a "wet sand first" hunter so I rely on sand movement. Since you said that beach erosion from surf is not as common in your area you may want to pay attention to high wind forecasts. Winds over 20 mph are capable of moving sand particles and wind generated surf (even small surf) coupled with extreme high tides can produce some cuts in the sand. Small cuts of only inches can put targets within a detector's range.

Of course, I prefer strong on-shore winds but any strong wind can move dry sand. The sand will blow away and heavier objects will stay put. It is not uncommon in these conditions to find coins laying exposed, sometimes, elevated on little pedestals of sand.

I see this happen a couple times a year at my local beaches so it's not that common but it is somewhat predictable.
What do you consider high winds? Normally we rarely see anything over 15-20mph except in gusts. That is until we get a hurricane and we really don't want that.

What do you consider high winds? Normally we rarely see anything over 15-20mph except in gusts. That is until we get a hurricane and we really don't want that.

Anything around 20mph is high wind to me. I just read that even wind speeds above 10mph can cause sand to creep along the ground.

Anything around 20mph is high wind to me. I just read that even wind speeds above 10mph can cause sand to creep along the ground.
The sand here is so packed that you can't see it blowing. I've seen what you speak of at other places but never here. Loose sand is rare on this beach. If the wind is 20 mph you will find me at home, not at the beach.

Cliff

Just for thought, instead of detecting during busy times. Be a observer. watch what people do, and where they go. Take note. On my beach South Padre I noticed a few board housewives would come and sunbath and read a book. while I detected I noticed they all had nice wedding rings shining in the sun. One day I went there wasn't anyone on the beach. I went to the area where they sunbath and guess what popped out. Yes one of there wedding rings. I kept asking each time I went but wasn't able to locate owner. Guess she got upset and never came back. The party beach I would skip and concentrate on places where others may overlook. Path from all those beach houses, possibly, if there is a place people rinse off, most women hate sand and want to wash it off quickly..possibly a few guys as well. research old photos of your area and see where things use to be and where they congregated. Be a investigator that's part of the fun locating the buried treasure, the hunt. Never get discouraged and ask all the questions you can to learn, some of the greatest metal detector operators are at your fingertips, I learn from them so I can get better results. Remember people say have a nice day? Well I think your better off making a nice day! Life is as you perceive it to be good or bad!
Keep Hunting!!!!!My friend.

Thank you Cliff for starting this thread. I have been loving all the insightful responses by the beach masters. I am not a beach hunter as of yet but am very excited to learn different techniques for reading and learning a beach.

I'm sure there are many others learning from this as well. Thanks for asking the question!

Thanks to all who have contributed [emoji106][emoji846] Your insight is invaluable.

Checking on events in your area, i guess the photo you posted of all the jeeps on the beach is the same event they post as Topples Jeep Weakened? That would explain why there are so many jeeps and few jewelry. They take it off when they take off the tops, Lol.
You have a lot of events in your area, watch each and take notes.

Crystal-Beach-Texas-1-201511120148_4.jpg

Hope this image of your beach comes out, I would check also where people in this photo are in the water, go slow and grid in every direction. Do the same in front of all the beach houses where they and their guest would sit, closest to the walkway back to the beach house possibly dropped something trying to carry all that stuff. I know my wife thinks im a pack mule.

Back
Top Bottom