Ever returned a 70 year old toy? I did!

Jason in Enid

Elite Member
Ever returned a 70 year old toy to the person who lost it?

I just did, and I got as much enjoyment as the person it went back to!

Last week, I had an uneventful hunt. A few wheats, a few buttons, and one of these "good luck" tokens. I have found many of these in the past, they were popular carnival and fair items. You could have anything you wanted to be printed around the outside so long as it fit the numbers of spaces.

Anyway, yesterday I finally cleaned the dirt and corrosion off, and I saw a name I knew! The name was of a man who lived behind me when I was growing up. He was also a member of the fire department, along with his brothers.

I wasn't sure if he still lived at the address (or if he could have passed) so I did a little online sleuthing. I found a current address for him and a facebook account with recent posts so I was hopeful, they were both the same.

It was kind of funny when I rang the door bell. A women peeked out for a second then opened the door and hollered loudly back into the house who I was! It always amazes me when people recognize me from my childhood days (I must not have changed much in all these years).

So we went inside and I told them about my hobby of metal detecting and pulled out the token and explained how I had found this with his name on. We all got a big smile as he looked it over in amazement that something from his childhood had found its way back to him.

We never know what we are going to find in this hobby, or how our hobby can touch people and take them back 70 years!

Sorry, I didn't take any picts of the return, or the actual token, the one here is just an example of the one I returned.

WWII-ERA-US-KEY-CHAIN-GOOD-LUCK-TOKEN.jpg

Excellent job on the return. I'm sure it put a big smile on his face and a great story he will tell at his next gathering.

Great story! Congrats on the return.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Very cool story and return, I found one similar awhile back with the AT Pro where old horse riding trails once were...

Attachments

• daysfinds.jpg
    daysfinds.jpg
    69.9 KB · Views: 939
Ever returned a 70 year old toy to the person who lost it?

Jason, funny you should ask this. I found one about a week ago, and I'm working on returning it as we speak. The girl who made the token died at the age of 10 in 1951, and her sister lives about 4 hours away and is now in her 70's. I'm sure she would like to have it. I really hope I can get it to her.

Jason, funny you should ask this. I found one about a week ago, and I'm working on returning it as we speak. The girl who made the token died at the age of 10 in 1951, and her sister lives about 4 hours away and is now in her 70's. I'm sure she would like to have it. I really hope I can get it to her.

That would be an incredible gift! Good luck!

Always cool to get a childhood toy back. I actually live in the same house my parents owned since new when I was born. Every now and then doing yardwork I find one of my own marbles. I get as excited as someone who finds a silver dollar:yes:

I have not had the chance to do such a great dead. I look forward to the day I may have the same experience. I can't even begin to imagine the warm feeling you got on that return. Great job and story.

Wow! Thats about the top end of the spectrum there for a return to the original owner...70yrs..Nice work and very cool write-up about it!
Mud.

Wow! Thats about the top end of the spectrum there for a return to the original owner...70yrs..Nice work and very cool write-up about it!
Mud.

No kidding! The gentleman is retired from the same fire dept I work at, he's been retired for over 30 years! :wow: Makes my 16 years on the dept seem like nothing now.

Great story man. Congrats to you, that had to have been such a rewarding thing to be able to do for someone. That's the type of stuff that makes this hobby so fun.

Back
Top Bottom