Sign of the times?

GLASSHOPPER1955

Elite Member
These signs went up in my area over the last few weeks at the entranceways to all of the public school playgrounds. Don't know if it was because of a vandalism event or for liability issues. The school bylines have the usual "thou shalt not damage property" wording so these signs may be for reinforcing that. I see kids/teens still using these facilities offhours obviously ignoring the signs.

Attachments

• damn sign 1.jpg
    damn sign 1.jpg
    119.8 KB · Views: 1,229
  • damn sign 2.jpg
    damn sign 2.jpg
    67.5 KB · Views: 1,256
Wow I had to look closely because the signs kind of look like a gun instead of a camera [emoji15] when I first saw it

Sent from my detector via iPhone

I'd do a bit of research, perhaps check online meeting minutes and try to find out why they were installed. If it was to ward off vandalism I would guess you'd be ok. Maybe find someone on the school board(if it's a volunteer position) and ask them off the record. Since the sign clearly says no Trespassing, I personally would need more info before hitting it.

With a sign like that, it turns most the neighborhood in to People who think they have Hall Monitor status and may think it's their duty to call the cops. This may not be worth the hassle without further information.

Just because it's public, doesn't mean you have a right to have unrestricted access to it.

It's "public" because your taxes fund the education of the kids and the building... that's all.

Wouldnt stop me one little bit!...I pay school taxes, plus I smoke, occasionally play the lottery, so theres goes another whole load of my money to the schools...probably some of it went to finance this damn totter in the first place!

Its only fair I get a refund back in clad! I am not a trespasser, I'm on MY property.....I NEVER detect school totters on weekdays and NEVER when theres anybody else around, especially any kids....early morning Sat or Sun or holidays...

I'd go on in and have the old "Wife/Daughter/Granddaughter lost her ring" line ready in case the FiveO ever rolled up...No right minded cop would hassle any old taxpaying guy like us...If they ever did, I'd take it all the way to trial! Think of what the Judge would say! "You are in here for what?" "Trespassing in a Totlot Your Honor":laughing:

That sign is intended to keep out the after hour riffraff...does not apply to us...heck..it wouldnt take any more than 5 minutes to sweep that place ....It looks brand new, not even any swings!....dont even need to carry a pouch or gear up at all..just the rig and your foot...zip zam zoom!
Mud

And this is exactly why I've always said if there are kids playing, stay out. If you are questioned by a teacher, leave. Some people love to push their Rights to use public property even when confronted. This is the results. I got permission from the Superintendent to hunt any public schools but I still know all it takes is one pissed off teacher to change it all.

A few years ago while hunting a school with my buddies a teacher approached us and told us they didn't want us "digging" in their new grass. My buddies wanted to tell her we got permission and that this is public property and tell her to piss off, but I asked her about hunting in the sand in back and she still said no. I knew she didn't want us there. I told the buddies we need to leave.

All it takes is one teacher with a chip on their shoulder to go to a teacher's meeting and make a big deal about the guys digging holes in the school grounds to pass a ordnance to keep you out.

Hey Mud I go one step further and take my 8 year old so he can be my scapegoat but always on the weekends when people aren't there.

Sent from my detector via iPhone

'No Trespassing' notice must be given in some states in order to prosecute a trespass case. This would apply to private property but may also be necessary on public property and laws do vary from state to state. Also, some new laws may have been passed relating to videoing and photographing children in or on public grounds? Notice that the children at play are also being videoed. Just some possible reasons for the signage to go up now on 'playgrounds' and not on all the public school grounds. What constitutes Trespass on 'public property' or on 'public school property' in Indiana may be worth researching. Precedent established in court rulings could be a factor.

I like the suggestion of contacting the school board secretary to ask why the signs are being installed now. I would not mention MDing. If you find it was not as a result of a vote by the local school board or if it was a not state wide directive, some further questions/research before MDing may be in order.

'No Trespassing' notice must be given in some states in order to prosecute a trespass case. This would apply to private property but may also be necessary on public property and laws do vary from state to state. Also, some new laws may have been passed relating to videoing and photographing children in or on public grounds? Notice that the children at play are also being videoed. Just some possible reasons for the signage to go up now on 'playgrounds' and not on all the public school grounds. What constitutes Trespass on 'public property' or on 'public school property' in Indiana may be worth researching. Precedent established in court rulings could be a factor.

I like the suggestion of contacting the school board secretary to ask why the signs are being installed now. I would not mention MDing. If you find it was not as a result of a vote by the local school board or if it was a not state wide directive, some further questions/research before MDing may be in order.

Really? OK I guess...to each his own...Its no wonder I knock down so much easy stinky clad in schoolyard chip totters? Hell, I thought I was really good...Sorry for any malfeasance or trespassference on my part....Good on ya for the post! Everybody better get themselves a permit and written permission from the skoolboard or else just stay out of these kinds of totters!!

Fair warning! You will be going straight to jail you damned middleschool totter penny hunting criminals! Unless you got a good lawyer like I do!.... "If the chip dont kick, you must acquit" :laughing:....

I'm just saying, no good cop in his right mind would bust an old drooling incontinent btard hunting the school totter?.....get a grip everybody! The paper work and clean up is just too great the risk...damn!
Mud

All the schools around me got signs like that years ago. Albeit not as scary as the one you posted ! Just something to the effect of "no trespassing" and "visitors check in at the office", blah blah. Within a few years, the signs are illegible, fall off, etc....

And for whatever reason, they never seemed to stop kids from still going there after school to shoot hoops, play on the equipment, etc...

So I'm of the opinion that a lot of such signs are there for a "CYA" for the school , so that if some numbskull falls and hurts himself, he can't sue the school.

It's time for you to buy a fake beard and mustache, or dress like a woman I suppose?

Heck, I'd still hunt the area and just say that you came through the woods and not the opening in the fence where the sign is.

Good comments from everyone.
There is one school in this district that had a similar sign going back at least three or four years and was/is routinely ignored by everyone. Incidentally, a couple of the areas marked with these signs don't even have a camera anywhere (that I can find). The cameras I do see were present for a few years or more. I usually only MD these school totlots early on Sunday mornings and almost never are any faculty present, and when there were, nobody has ever said anything, even when they've seen me there. I have never seen any vandalism (save for squirrel digs) and I fix those so as not to be accused of them. I agree the signs are most likely for CYA/liability (albeit heavy-handed to be sure) but I do intend to speak with a certain school board member to see if there was any impetus for these signs that he knows of, avoiding any mention of MD'ing, of course. This is a fairly laid-back community and I've never had any run-ins with anybody yet. I've been in other surrounding towns and have seen LEOs there and not one has ever told me not to detect or to leave. One even said he wanted to get an AT-Pro and get into the hobby (!). And Mud, you crack me up! :lol:

Last edited:
Good comments from everyone.
There is one school in this district that had a similar sign going back at least three or four years and was/is routinely ignored by everyone. Incidentally, a couple of the areas marked with these signs don't even have a camera anywhere (that I can find). The cameras I do see were present for a few years or more. I usually only MD these school totlots early on Sunday mornings and almost never are any faculty present, and when there were, nobody has ever said anything, even when they've seen me there.....

This has been my experience too, with school yards. Despite ominous looking signs and fences, there's usually always an open gate or turn-style. Just like in your first pix. And like your experience, as long as you're not being a nuisance, you're ignored.

Of course we md'rs should not throw caution to the wind. But on the other hand, if/when we see other people out in some place enjoying themselves (as you not that others are routinely using those facilities), then so too am I going to consider myself just as innocuous as them.

I work as IT in a school that has over 50 schools.. My boss one time said as out head admin building, its public, if someone wants to park an RV on the soccer field the whole summer, they can't do too much about it. Ive also got permission to a private historical park.. found a bit of clad but not a whole lot of interesting stuff yet.

Those signs went up at a local town of mine in all the school playgrounds. I think it's more of a legal thing. It's much harder to file and win a lawsuit when it is clear you were not supposed to be there....... Otherwise it's business as usual. Now business as usual for me is hunting late evenings or weekends when nobody is there. When the kids start showing up it's time to leave.

I work as IT in a school that has over 50 schools.. My boss one time said as out head admin building, its public, if someone wants to park an RV on the soccer field the whole summer, they can't do too much about it.

Really?! I sure like the sound of this! Big Idea Formenting here! A guy can blend in and follow the AYSO soccer circuit all around the Country! Live in an RV and grill right out in the parking lot! Probably sell candy bars and water too!...all a guy needs is a Sams Club card and an RV! I'm on it! Thanks Glennz!
Mud

Back
Top Bottom