New detector delima

familytracker

I hate to admit it but my detector has spent the better part of the last two seasons in the closet. Now that I have more time on my hands I have started use it it more and have even considered upgrading. I currently use the DFX with the sunray probe solely in the Kansas area. This was my first detector and I probably have 200 hours on the unit and for the most part I cant complain. I have found some silver and gold over the years but it was never as stable as I would like with ghosting and it hates trashy areas. I live out in the country and have gotten access to old farm sites and one room school houses but try as I might I cant seem to get threw all the scrap iron and metal trash that ends up thrown around farm houses. My question to the group is for what im wanting to search would the V3i be better or the CTX 3030. IF anyone has one of theses machines and is close to the KC laurence topeka area please let me know I would love to meet up and se one in person Thanks in advance.

The V3i is not easy to learn, although your experience will help.

My educated opinion is a vote for the CTX 3030. A very versatile machine that you can take into any environment and do well with. I WOULD suggest a 6 inch coil for it though as the 11 in stock coil doesn't do as well as a 6 in coil would in the environment you describe....

Buy the book on the 3030, learn the features and you will find it to be fairly easy to learn. I was finding silver with mine on the first full hunt with it!

"Some" people say the 3030 is complicated too, but I didn't find it complicated at all once I had my settings set and was off and running!

I've had my V3i for over six years now and I can honestly say it lets me hunt just about everywhere. It does have a huge learning curve though. Once you learn it, it's a great machine.

I would suggest an easy to use etrac and an easy to use Atpro. You will cover all your bases and have money to spare. Plus an extra machine if one goes down.

Of the two you mentioned, I'd go with the 3030. I've owned both and feel that the CTX is more stable and does a better job hunting in heavy trash/iron. Running in combined mode with a fairly open pattern and the proper separation method is key.

I would suggest an easy to use etrac and an easy to use Atpro. You will cover all your bases and have money to spare. Plus an extra machine if one goes down.

I think that's a good suggestion as well. Etrac and an XP Deus would also be a killer combo.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Delema

:lol: My situation, I have Cherry E-trac, Cherry V3i, both with loads of Extra coils, i just bought a 2016 model year CTX3030 but only because i am moving to the beach, if i wasn't moving i still have the F75se, V3i & E-trac with all the extra coils, it's like all the money invested in them, hard to give them up, all i can say is choose wisely , or you can be in the same boat as i am :shock::lol::boat: PS the V3i with the black Ultimate 13 air tests a silver dime at 18 inches strong , so if your not water hunting, the V3i might be your ticket, at 1000.00 less with wireless headphones, also the leaning curve is not hard at all especially, if you have a DFX, i had a 1976 coin master my 1st detector, lol , and I picked up on it the 1st week.

Last edited:
Thanks for the input, its always hard to decide which way to go with a new detector. I like my DFX but I believe that there are better machines out there for where I will be hunting. I'm hopping to find someone within driving distance that has one or both so i can try them out. Also what has been your experience in buying used ?

Last edited:
I felt the same about my dfx. Since getting the mx sport I haven't picked up the dfx. The mx sport is amazingly stable. Good luck with whichever you choose.

I have the ctx and it has some learning to really know what it is sawing but from what I have heard the v3i has a big learning curve. That being said I have heard good things about the v3i once you learn it well

Back
Top Bottom