Large, old, brass bullet casing. Any Ideas?

screwynewy

Elite Member
I am re-posting this with another title since the last post didn't get any responses. I still don't know anything about this casing that I dug. Can anyone help?

I searched the internet for some info on this casing and the only thing that I saw was a picture of a similar one that was described as a Bennett Casing. There is no primer like a traditional bullet has. Can anyone give me some accurate information on the name and origin of this. It was dug from an old homesite. Thanks!

P1000188.jpg

P1000187.jpg

P1000183.jpg

Well it looks like there might be crimp marks quarter of an inch from the rim. Then this just looks like 50-70 Benet primed catridge.
The primer material was inside the case, pretty much like in rimfire cartridge. Except an iron or copper anvil was held in place inside the case with those two crimps thus making it possible for a centerfire firing pin to ignite the primer.
Developed by Col Benet at Frankford Arsenal in 1860's.

Voriax

Oh and another thing. Creating multiple threads of same topic will easily get both threads deleted. Like I just did to your other thread.
If you do not get replies, it usually means two things: No-one has any clue about the item in question or those who may have clue haven't spotted your thread yet.
Making new threads won't help. A little patience just might do the trick.

Voriax

Last edited:
Oh and another thing. Creating multiple threads of same topic will easily get both threads deleted. Like I just did to your other thread.
If you do not get replies, it usually means two things: No-one has any clue about the item in question or those who may have clue haven't spotted your thread yet.
Making new threads won't help. A little patience just might do the trick.

Voriax

Sorry, I didn't mean to break the rules. I just thought that my original title did not accurately describe what it was that I was asking based on the lack of views and zero responses in almost 2 days. But thanks for setting me straight and for the information regarding the bullet casing.

No biggie. And thread titles can always be renamed. Btw, you could try pushing a thin wire inside the case to determine if the anvil is still there. From what I read it would be somewhat rare if it's still in place.

Voriax

Back
Top Bottom