Prizm 4 vs 5

Ray Whidbey Island

I have the Prizm II. Not even broke in good yet.....but....if the cash is not the issue which would be the better choice and why......the Prizm 4 or 5.
I am not looking for gold just coins and jewelery.....heck of a way to start have one and already looking to up-grade....what a hobby...... :?:

Why are you looking to upgrade? The Prizm II will serve you just fine and you will find lots 'o goodies with it. You might want to keep it for 6 months - beat the parks to death, collect your clad and silver and use that and the sale of your II on ebay to finance a more expensive machine if that's what you're heading for. You may find that the Prizm II suits your style after all.

I will chime in on the Prizm V. I've had it since x-mas, and been out only a few times since it's butt arse cold here in Michigan. What I can say with my minimal experience is that it is very easy to use, light to swing and pinpoints like a charm. I've already struck silver, along with several dollars in clad in just a few times out.

Now, for the extra hundy you get a few more bells and whistles, plus the bigger coil than the IV. Some say that the Prizm IV is actually a better deal - that the extra tones aren't necessary and the bigger coil doesn't get you much extra depth. I guess its just a personal preference - I like the idea of the extra tones and a little more depth. Plus the VCO pinpointing is worth a little extra in my opinion.

Biggest problem is that the prices are generally fixed by the manufacturer, so expect a $399 for the Prizm IV and a $499 tag for the Prizm V. I actually got mine for $450 from a local dealer - who was probably not suppose to sell at that price but did anyway. You can usually find used ones on ebay for around $400.

Good luck!

expectations of the Prizm 4 or 5

I guess the biggest reason to look to upgrade would be the depth indicator and the tone ID or smart notch......I think if mine would have had the depth indicator there would be no reason to look more for quite a while..?? But do plan to use it heavly till I do decide what else to think about......

The performance of the IV and V are at least 25% better than the II. The extra features are a plus is many cases especially if you want tone ID. The larger coil will give you more depth and if you bought a IV you could get both coils for the cost of a V. I beleive the V also has a smoother operation to it in tough ground conditions. The upgrade from II to III is not worth it. You only gain depth indication. The 50.00 is in the form of a coupon from White's. The dealer could sell it for less than that. I know I do.

Back
Top Bottom