minelab equinox owners a question and a rant

today I went to walmart and bought one. got home opened box read manual and its only 1 amp and minelab says to use 2 amp minimum. this is getting annoying. :mad:

Does your new charger, have one of the ratings as specified in manual?
If so you can use.
Just expect longer charge time.
Plug into your usb post on computer will charge too.

I bought this a Wally World.
Meets specs and works like a dream.
Around $22-24 bucks, can't remember exactly.
https://www.anker.com/it/products/variant/PowerPort-Lite-6-Ports/A2061111

today I went to walmart and bought one. got home opened box read manual and its only 1 amp and minelab says to use 2 amp minimum. this is getting annoying. :mad:

I just read the quickstart guide and manual, which seem to conflict each other. The quickstart says connect to any standard powered USB port (usb standard being .5a@5v). The manual on pg 8 says 1.7a wall charger or better will result in a charge time of 4hrs or so and the use of anything less will result in longer charge times. On pg 62 it says you should use a 2a minimum wall charger and to avoid 1a wall chargers due to their tendency to engage built in thermal shut down and cease charging.

All of this should be addressed in the quickstart guide and on page 1 of the manual as to avoid confusion. It should also be mentioned that "any standard powered usb" needs to be changed to "computer powered USB port" as they don't have thermal shut down protection...just my 2 cents.

Last edited:
I've charged mine in the car using one of those cigarette lighter plug adapters like I use for my phone - just plugged the charging cable into the USB slot in the adapter. Worked fine. I also have a problem with not having a printed manual. I want to stand out in the field (or yard or whatever) with the machine and the book to learn. Just not the same with the online version - and no, I don't want to read the thing off my phone! My eyes aren't that good, and a book is easier to use. I'll bet Andy S. or somebody (heck, Calabash Digger or Tennessee Sharpshooter could do one!) will have a book out fairly quickly.

Last edited:
i went back to walmart

today and looked at the Samsung chargers. ended up buying the Samsung galaxy travel charger which is rated at 2 amps. 24 bucks and change. take care everyone.

I use

My Galaxy s4 end of the charger and the ML wire, works great , no issues , Ps i deemed the ML 2 amp thing as a , thang to sell ML chargers which should have been given with the detector's :roll:, happy hunting , Earl

Back
Top Bottom