1952 Half Dollar

ugadigger

Elite Member
A friend gave me this today. I have never seen this type of half dollar ever. Does anyone know if they were ever in circulation? I am guessing it is silver, but it's kinda neat regardless.
3b29d2101d5bd4da133b63f30d301c02.jpg

dacfb2e4f6373d8cfd3317261ba7b8be.jpg

1617c59d70841bcc1c1c3ee1a83d35d4.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thats the Carver/Washington Commemorative Half Dollar Minted 1951 thru 1954...Thats in Great Condition...Probably valued about 40 to 45 dollars

non circulated

This half was never introduced into circulation. It is a commemorative coin with a legal tender of 50cent. There are hundreds of different half dollars. Hope tho helps

Thanks for the info guys! I am somewhat ignorant when it comes to the issue of circulation. Can coins that were never introduced to circulation be used for purchases? Not that I would but just wanted to know.

Thanks for the info guys! I am somewhat ignorant when it comes to the issue of circulation. Can coins that were never introduced to circulation be used for purchases? Not that I would but just wanted to know.

They are legal tender...American money is never demonetized

Sure, simply take the 1970 Kennedy half dollar, for example. It was minted NIFC, or 'not intended for circulation', just like your commemorative 50c piece. The 1970 looks just like a regular Kennedy circulated Kennedy half, but was minted for collectors. It is somewhat rare, but I have found a 1970D and S among circulated Kennedy halves.

Sure, simply take the 1970 Kennedy half dollar, for example. It was minted NIFC, or 'not intended for circulation', just like your commemorative 50c piece. The 1970 looks just like a regular Kennedy circulated Kennedy half, but was minted for collectors. It is somewhat rare, but I have found a 1970D and S among circulated Kennedy halves.

Thanks for the explanation [emoji106]

Back
Top Bottom