Montana, Club Update

Depending on the timing, I might be interested in joining in. Im familiar with the Big Hole and Wisdom area. If I come Ill bring a good sleeping bag and a coat. I have seen it frost there in August.

The voice of experience! Sounds like really good advice.

I'll be "car camping" - literally gonna put the air mattress in the back of the Outback and close it up.

Sure, I own tents and all that paraphernalia, but I've finally learned to enjoy the comforts of taking the easy way when I can. Sleep on the ground? Not any more if I can help it! :nah:

mg

Sure thing

Howdy
Well, it seems as if things are falling into place.
Welcome aboard lewisia.

I went and met with the local coin dealer, to pick his brain and see what he had to offer, as he detects too.

I was looking at what he had in the way of Buff Nickels and indian head pennies etc, to use in the competition hunt.

He said , I should keep that spot to myself , and that i was copying other clubs.
??? Go figure ? Of course I'm copying other clubs, cuz we dont have one , and I think its just a fun thing.

Anyhow, he wants an outrageous amount for the coinage, like $2.50 each for a Buff nickel.
Oh, but at the end of our conversation, he says I should buy a $1,800.00 Gold coin from him , and use it as a prize, and charge enough money so I could make $ 1,000.00
What a doofus !
He talks down the whole idea, then he tries to sell me a Gold coin.
So, whatever, ?
I kind of figured it would be good for his business to at least give me a break on a roll or two of coins.

So much for that Idea.
But I have other ideas on that end .
So its not the end of the world, it just irked me a bit.

I dont think he likes the idea of out of towners hunting in his area.
HA !
I dont look at it that way.

Ive been gettin busy lately, but I will keep tabs here a few times a week.

Dusty

Howdy

Howdy Montana Man

Nice!, it would be good to have you.
Anaconda? I'm right here too.
I'm going to send you a private message, with my cell number.
Give me a holler.
Its a small town, I'm sure we've met.

Anyhow, it seems like there is getting to be more interest in this.
Last winter, I was getting a little worried, but , I'm glad I stuck with it now.

Give me a holler, I'd like to pick your brain a little.

Dusty

Dusty -

There are a few more people from Lake County showing interest and asking for details.

Wondering if you had narrowed down to a particular weekend or other date(s).

I've been thinking of early June, but am not locked into anything yet.

mg

hello, mike here from dillon. I would be interested in detecting with others, new spots, good camping. I'll keep watching here for details.

got my xterra 705 in december, finally got out to a few places but have only found junk except my first beep, 3 feet out my front door was a 14k gold ring with a 1/3c diamond. so very glad the ground is defrosting!!

hello, mike here from dillon. I would be interested in detecting with others, new spots, good camping. I'll keep watching here for details.

got my xterra 705 in december, finally got out to a few places but have only found junk except my first beep, 3 feet out my front door was a 14k gold ring with a 1/3c diamond. so very glad the ground is defrosting!!

Wow! That is quite a very first beep! You've paid for your machine.

Glad you're here!

mg

Howdy guys

Welcome dreadhippy, and wow, thats a goood first find.

Howdy Monty

Well, I'm thinkin the first of june too.

I have a friend in Kansas, from this board, that actually mailed me some neat older coins for the Competition hunt. Buff nickels, Indian head pennies, V nickels , etc I dont know if he would allow me to say who he is , yet, But I will find out, because it was very nice of him to donate, and I would like for us all to thank him.

Well, I ran into a problem with the Forest Service, on Friday. And " Organized events and organized Camping" are problems.
The first being the good ole " Sensitive Plant Species " issue.
Too many people , in one spot has a bigger impact on the ground.
The Camping, he said, if they come to that campground , and can tell that we were a "GROUP" there would be major problems.
We could go through a process that would take a long time, and cost over $100.00 was what he said.
So , to heck with that.
Honestly, I was concerned, and thought about giving up on the idea,
BUT, the day after that news , I got the package from Kansas, and theres ALOT of you that are interested, and I cant let you down now.
I also dont give up that easy.

I do have a plan b, and I ran it by a person in the local saddle club.
I have an appointment with the Saddle Club President tomorrow, and I am going to run it by her.
It sounds promising.
It would be along the lines of,
Saturday afternoon, (gives you all time to drive here) Competition hunt/ food/ camping at the saddle club grounds
Sunday, we could convoy out to the stage stop, but its a 1 1/2 hour drive,
Im all for it, but I have a good idea here closer to the club.
I dont want to divulge just yet, as there are a few locals that might go hammer it before the date if they read this.
So, I'm thinking, I could just leave that be a choice for each individual on Sunday mornin.
That way, the sites Im thinking of dont get hunted prior to the OUTING weekend.

In my proposal to the saddle club, I would like to have 2 competition hunts.
One , in the grassy areas, for true coins. and one in the arena, for valuable prizes and or better coins, but use the painted washer idea.

I will also have people that are NOT going to detect, hide the targets , so I can hunt too.
Of course it wouldnt be fair, if I knew where they were planted, and I really want to get in on this too.
As long as you are all OK with that.

What do you think ? honestly
I will make this work, but, am I losing you at this point?

And , I guess I feel the need to apologize for not calling the forest service sooner.

For that I am sorry.

Sincerely
Dusty

camping

I'd almost have to say to get a 2nd opinion on the camping, I've camped in the area campgrounds with 20+ people in the group and we just rented the proper amount of spots for the amount of tents and never had a problem. big groups of motorcycles go through camping all summer camping together.

Dread

Howdy Dread,

You do have a point there. Yeah, I will .
The guy I talked to is the Head Geologist for the area, and anytime I ask a question concerning the ground, no matter what office I call, they tell me to call him.
In the past, Ive had the Wisdom area office Ok something, but he ends up calling , saying they were wrong , and tells me the rules.

Sometimes, I really believe it is who is in charge of an area.
As there is a group of people , somewhere else in this state, that actually can get "Dredging Permits" to dredge on a "Closed" water creek.
But , here, we cant because of that reason.
I dont know , but I tell ya, the politics involved in Recreating anymore, are a drag.

When I get back from work later today, I will try to get a 2nd opinion
I'll let you know .

Thanks.

Did you get snow last night? we did dangit.

Take it easy
Dusty

Dusty_

I think you are doing just great. As for the USFS: If you let them, they'll tell you that you can't walk anywhere on the planet that is under their control.

The rules are published. Whoever you talk to, or ask, will happily change those rules to suit their own mood and personal power trip.

Suggestion:

1) Look up the rules. Read them. Follow them. Carry a copy with you.
2) Quit asking these other people. They do not make "official rules." They merely make 'rules' the way they would like them to be. If you follow their advice, you lose and they win.

Thanks for the work. We're still on board no matter how it turns out.

mg

we got a little skiff of snow down here but it wasn't enough to refreeze the ground. got out in the front yard this afternoon again for the hundredth time and found an old chinese railroad token, instead of a circle cut in the middle it has a little cross punched out in the middle. it's in bad shape but still not a bad find, registered like a 22 shell but was a really weak signal. I think I'm finally learning to keep my detector level with the ground!! rofl

Nice!

Dang Dread,
Thats a pretty cool find !
Yeah, we got more snow up here. and its not melting any too soon.

As far as the country where the Stage stop is , I just talkled to my Girlfriends dad out there, and he says theres still 3-4 ft of snow.

And , Monty, I agree with you , 100 %.

I am still working on this Outing, I just got busy these last few days.
But, Monday afternoon , things will be slow for me again, so I'll have plenty of time to start finding the REAL Regs.

Its good to know your still on board.

Dusty

sucks about the snow, the ground is pretty thawed here at least around town. I am going to be hitting up a park and Victorian house in the morning, hopefully find something worth keeping. I also got invited to detect next week on 3 acres that the lewis and clark expedition supposedly camped over when they came through here, if it goes well I will try and secure permission to maybe get a group out there. the owner is just more or less curious whether or not anything is there :)

sucks about the snow, the ground is pretty thawed here at least around town. I am going to be hitting up a park and Victorian house in the morning, hopefully find something worth keeping. I also got invited to detect next week on 3 acres that the lewis and clark expedition supposedly camped over when they came through here, if it goes well I will try and secure permission to maybe get a group out there. the owner is just more or less curious whether or not anything is there :)

Hey dh: happy hunting!

Thanks Dusty!!!

Dusty, please put me on your list as well. I am in the Gallatin Valley near Ronald and would be interested in getting out with folks who have done this a little bit.
I am so new to MD that I am still researching for my first unit. I think I am set on a Compadre but still open to suggestions.

Thanks for getting this going.

Nippip

Nice

Howdy,

Well it sure is nice to see so much interest.

I said I'd have this finalized by the end of march, LOL, so its crunch time.

(Dang taxes get in the way)

I'll be talking to Monty today or tomorrow I'm hoping, to try and figure out this last hitch, concerning the camping.
It sounds like I have more prizes being donated, so the "Competition " hunt is really going to be a blast.

Just wanted to let you all know, I'm getting a little busy, but I am ON THIS.

Thanks for showing interest, as it motivates me , all the more.

Take care
Dusty

Hey Nippip

Oh , sorry nippip.

good luck to ya in your research of which detector to buy.
I spent quite a few months deciding myself.

I was just thinking. If you could hold out , what a great way to decide, by borrowing one at the outing.

My 8 year old has a B.H. 505, you could use, because his attention span is about 30 minutes tops, then he'll be runnin around playing.

I'd let you use my MXT some too.
And, maybe some other folks would do the same.

I know it would be better to have your own though, then you could get help learning it.

I'm going to post in the "General Discussion" for ya .
look for it

Dusty

Back
Top Bottom