late 1700's shoe buckle preservation question!

The_Detectorist

OK so I found a really old shoe buckle, best figure yet is its an Artois style shoe buckle 3x4in 1770 to 1790 in western MA. Because I didn't realize what it was I used plain water and a light brush to clean it off, but now that I realize how old it is I want to preserve it well. What do people recommend? Someone suggested using Renaissance Wax to coat it and buff it gently, does anyone have experience using it here?

Attachments

• IMG_20180407_114109_763.jpg
    IMG_20180407_114109_763.jpg
    35.7 KB · Views: 657
  • IMG_20180407_114119_106.jpg
    IMG_20180407_114119_106.jpg
    35.2 KB · Views: 755
  • IMG_20180407_114131_960.jpg
    IMG_20180407_114131_960.jpg
    33 KB · Views: 550
What is it made out of? I would probably Google to see if people have some methods described or I would probably do whatever they suggest for buttons of thr same material.

What is it made out of? I would probably Google to see if people have some methods described or I would probably do whatever they suggest for buttons of thr same material.

I'm not fully sure what it is made of, perhaps brass or copper? Going off of the VDI, I'd say copper. It showed up as a solid 81/82 with my AT pro, and never wavered a bit. As for googling it, online people point out not to scrub it, use water or brush too hard because it will damage the Patina. I have just purchased Renaissance Wax and have used it on smaller coins, but you're supposed to buff it in for it to really protect and give a good shine. I'm kind of afraid to buff this because the coloring on it now is fantastic! Plus I don't want to brush away any details if I can help it

I would soak it and use a toothpick to clean it as much as I could.

Reading up on how to preserve buttons, the delicate ones they say to paint with urethane or a 50/50 glue/water mixture to preserve them.

if you aren't planning on selling it and just want to display it, thats what I would do.

Your shoe buckle is a late 1700's era cast copper alloy example ( a nice one) , there are many ways to clean and or preserve it . It all depends on the look you want .

Don’t get colonial stuff here in the north, but I’ve been using ren wax on fancy suspenders clips, buttons, bells etc. made of brass or copper alloys. I smear it on with my finger and after it dries buff lightly with a soft cotton T-shirt. I haven’t lost the green patina and have been pleased with the appearance...

Back
Top Bottom