ETRAC vs NOX -Owner Input Please

medicchief

Forum Supporter
Well, it's been over 10 years since I joined MDF and I'm back for some advice. That being said, my last detector was a NOX 800 and we didn't get along. VDI was confusing at times, depth readout was off and the biggest thing was the ergonomics of the straight shaft design. I ended up with serratus muscle strain/pain after a full day of swinging and couldn't use it for a month.....crazy. So I sold the detector and now I'm back to my old Delta. All that aside, the Delta ain't cutting it and I'm thinking of getting an eTrac now. I know it's a heavier machine (approximately a pound more than an 800, if using a Lithium Ion battery pack), but for those of you that have used both machines, is it that big of a deal? I've swung a 4 pound detector before, without any issues, but for some reason the 3 pound NOX design hurt me. Can I get some user input? Thank you!

Chris said...”The Equinox is my goto super trashy site detector, but still hasn’t replaced others in the lineup. Various personalities in the detecting community will look down on someone for saying that, but who cares what others think.”

It can’t be said better. An absolutely HONEST and UNBIASED opinion of performance will lead a person to REALITY. I love my CTX and Explorer2 and wouldn’t trade them for anything. In certain situations and conditions, their performance absolutely stinks. But KNOWING that and accepting that no machine is perfect everywhere will allow you to make the changes that need to be made to find success. That’s what we all want in the end...success.

To me, the Equinox feels a bit nose heavy. Not from the straight shaft design (which I prefer) but from the lack of weight at the elbow area. I can definitely feel it in my wrist after a few hours when using the stock coil. No problem at all when using the 6” coil. Etrac felt a little nose heavy as well IMO. Mostly due to the S shaft design, which I’m not a fan of. Even though it’s heavier, to me the CTX feels best balanced of the bunch due to being a straight shaft design AND having the beefy battery pack situated under the elbow.

The Equinox is my goto super trashy site detector, but still hasn’t replaced others in the lineup.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

+ 1
That’s exactly how I feel.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don’t own an 800, but have owned and used Etracs. They may be a bit faster, but do not have the depth capability that the older Explorers have. My Explorer 2 is my main rig and my ETrac is rarely used.

Personally I really didn’t care for the Etrac due to the weight, not being able to see the screen at times and causing arm & back fatigue. The Ctx balances so much better and the screen is a lot easier to see! But between the Etrac or Nox. I would choose the Nox.

I know you didn’t mention it but have you thought about a Xp Deus or ORX? These machines are an absolute dream to swing! Good luck with whatever you decide...

Personally I really didn’t care for the Etrac due to the weight, not being able to see the screen at times and causing arm & back fatigue. The Ctx balances so much better and the screen is a lot easier to see! But between the Etrac or Nox. I would choose the Nox.

I know you didn’t mention it but have you thought about a Xp Deus or ORX? These machines are an absolute dream to swing! Good luck with whatever you decide...

What he said.

beephead

What is your issue with the eTrac screen view? Angle, glare?

Anyone running a Lithium battery pack in their eTrac/explorer? If so, can you tell that it's any lighter and how long is run time?

+2

I like my NOX 800 for the lightness but the E-Trac had it where it counted. I would rather carry the added weight than deal with the changes on the NOX. I like it, but not as much as the E-Trac for those deep parks.

+2

I like my NOX 800 for the lightness but the E-Trac had it where it counted. I would rather carry the added weight than deal with the changes on the NOX. I like it, but not as much as the E-Trac for those deep parks.

I have this lithium battery pack. It uses 3-3000mah batteries and the holder was made by a guy in Ukraine using one of those printer doo-dads. All put together, it cost under $50. Honestly? I have never ran it down to get a length of hunt time. Maybe someone else has one to attest to the runtime. It's surely more than 30 hours.

The weight of the ML factory pack reads 8.85 oz. The Lithium pack weight is 6.56 oz.

Attachments

• FD161BB6-C3B3-4E1D-9F9D-D81A187CFBB4_1_105_c.jpg
    FD161BB6-C3B3-4E1D-9F9D-D81A187CFBB4_1_105_c.jpg
    43.6 KB · Views: 585
What he said.

beephead

What they said, my Etrac with the detech 13 inch coil, X1 probe, RNB battery and herke cuff weighs 6 pounds.

Probably the best coin detector (along with ctx) going but I don't swing it all day, still... I like and use em both

I have this lithium battery pack. It uses 3-3000mah batteries and the holder was made by a guy in Ukraine using one of those printer doo-dads. All put together, it cost under $50. Honestly? I have never ran it down to get a length of hunt time. Maybe someone else has one to attest to the runtime. It's surely more than 30 hours.

The weight of the ML factory pack reads 8.85 oz. The Lithium pack weight is 6.56 oz.

Is the battery pack compatible with the ML wall charger, or do you use something different Martin?

What they said, my Etrac with the detech 13 inch coil, X1 probe, RNB battery and herke cuff weighs 6 pounds.

Probably the best coin detector (along with ctx) going but I don't swing it all day, still... I like and use em both

Hey Norm, good to hear form you....again! Does the coil upgrade matter much over the stock coil? Is there a specific coil that is most popular among FBS owners, other than the stock coil?

Is the battery pack compatible with the ML wall charger, or do you use something different Martin?

Separate charger for the 18650 batts. Sellers usually include one with batteries.

Fact of life is that Minelab's charger will never work with anything besides their sealed factory battery pack, so it you run any other batteries in their auxiliary battery packs, you are forced to have a separate battery charger.

Same thing with the RNB.

Had both. Rehunted spots with Nox that I had pounded with the E-Trac. Found an amazing number of coins I missed. That sold me so I sold my E-Trac and bought another Nox.

Have you tried a harness?
I hunt with 2 guys that use a Nox. My Etrac often hits coins their Nox's can't see or will barely make a blip on (we do a LOT of side by side comparisons before digging).My Etrac rarely won't see a coin that their machines see. They both bought Etrac's after hunting with me but they often still use their Nox's in trashy areas and sometimes because of the weight.

I am trying to find a good deal on a used eTrac or Explorer II/SE. I would be using a harness as well, to combat the weight issue. I've been the NOX route and it was a fine detector, but I'm more interested in the Fe/Co feature that the eTrac and Explorer have. I've seen some good deals on used/nice Safari's lately, but I'm not impressed from what I've watched and read about them. Especially when I (Veteran) can get a NOX 600 for less money. I'm being patient and keeping an eye out for a good deal from someone I can trust....may take a while!

The Equinox hand grip took some getting used to for me. I eventually padded it, got a lighter graphite shaft and reminded myself to relax my hand and wrist when using it. I have swung the Etrac and CTX. They are great detectors but to me feel really heavy. I have several Etrac and CTX buddies that have had shoulder surgery on their swinging arms. I am not saying these detectors caused this, but I am saying a lighter detector might not have made their shoulder condition so bad that they needed shoulder replacement surgery.

Someone mentioned the ORX and Deus. They are super lightweight. They definitely take some getting used to as far as the audio is concerned if you are coming from an Etrac or Nox.

Since you are used to the Delta, have you though about an F75/Tek T2 or an F70/Tek Patriot? They are great detectors in moderate to mild dirt and even though they weigh over 3 pounds, they are beautifully balanced and comfortable to use.

Also, the Minelab Vanquish is a really nice detector. Its armrest and shaft are so adjustable that it does not feel like it weighs almost 2.8 pounds. I tested my 340 on some targets along side my F19 and it out performed my F19 big time both for depth and target ID accuracy. Sadly, it is goodbye, F19.......It is very much like the Equinox without all of the expert adjustments and it has good depth. The V10 coil is just the right size and weight so that it's almost like swinging a detector without a coil. If you don't need wireless audio, to me, the best Vanquish deal is the 440 when they become available.

good luck with your choice.

Jeff

Back
Top Bottom