jon from KY new to metal detecting worried I bought a "bad" metal detector

thedigi321

hello I bought a metal detector recently from ebay, I believe it is the same as the harbor freight one that is 6 functions, my question is for someone starting out and learning the Do's and Don't's is it a bad metal detector? I paid about 34 USD, which I am find on the price, and it seems like a good deal but I am not sure.

I want to go around my wooded area and see if I find any thing, maybe walk to a local park and see if I find anything, just go and have some fun in this town and walk around, go on trails, maybe go to a beach. also can you upgrade the head in the future? (pardon my odd terms, the black disk that finds if there is metal).

:fmdfwelcome:... from the Land of 10,000 Lakes - Minnesota! :grin: We're glad that you have joined us. Happy hunting! :mder:

...also can you upgrade the head in the future? (pardon my odd terms, the black disk that finds if there is metal).

I started with the 9-Function model, and it was a pretty good detector. I don't believe that you can replace the coil on either model, though. :(

You didn't buy a "bad" one, but you didn't buy a good one either. All metal detectors use basically the same technology. The difference is how the computer analyzes the signal from the disturbance in the electrical field. The more expensive machines are going to be better built, last longer, better depth, and give you more information about what the target is. Yours is about as entry level as it gets,pretty much a toy. If it works it will tell you there is a piece of metal in the ground down to maybe 3 inches for a coin or a buick hood at 3 foot, it won't tell you which it is. Even with a $1000 machine it's still a guess, but with all the info you have you can guess right a lot more often.
Your machine is great to see if you want to be a detectorist. Hit the wood chip playgrounds and your back yard and see if you enjoy it, if you do you will want to upgrade soon. Anything is an upgrade to what you have. I think you have to get over the $200 mark to get out of the "toy" market.

That $34 detector probably out-hunts the top-of-the-line detectors of the late 1970s to early 1980s. And trust me: We found stuff then, no problem.

So the answer to your question is: It depends on where you're hunting, and your objectives. If you're hunting in an area where targets abound, then sure, you'll never lack for targets to choose from with that detector.

But if you get into a highly competitive environment (where others have long-since cherry-picked the easies), then ... sure .... you'll be at a disadvantage.

Welcome from Winnsboro, South Carolina !!!!

It is on the low end of detectors so don't get discouraged if you don't find as much as you hope, just realize if the hobby really does interest you that your ability to find stuff will increase if you get a model with more depth, now that does not mean spending many hundreds of dollars if you can't afford to, but even if you can only upgrade to one costing between $150 to $200 it should make a difference over a $34 dollar model, but check back here for advice from forum members as to what might be the best one to get in your price range before buying.

But please let us know how it goes with using your detector, maybe it might surprise us and do fairly well for a low end model, you won't know till you try !

I hope it does work well, I just don't want you to be discouraged if it doesn't work as well as you hope it might as this is a fun hobby !

EDIT TO ADD: after ready other replies, your detector could do very well, it might require you digging up everything to find the good stuff, but the others repliers seem to make some good points so hopefully you'll be posting some good finds soon !

:mder:_____:mder: _____:mder:_____:mder:

Last edited:
I used to hunt with a friend who had a semi cheap detector and he found as much or more than me with a higher end detector. The difference being he dug everything, including class rings and silver halves while I was discriminating out a lot of the good stuff. So, if you don't mind digging you can get a lot of good stuff. Enjoy!

hello I bought a metal detector recently....

Regardless of what detector you have, metal detecting comes down to getting out, finding good spots, and digging lots and lots. You'll find out whether it's for you and then can decide if you'll stick with it. It's a relatively inexpensive hobby if you can find gear you like and stick with it.

Last edited:
Good luck from So.Cal. Dig everything. That machine is a beast !

You did fine. Get out and hunt and enjoy finding things. Just keep in mind that most of what comes out of the ground is junk so don't be discouraged. If you decide that this is a good hobby for you there is plenty of time to upgrade to a better detector.

Welcome from central N.Y. When I first started I had a Radio Shack detector. I would find a lot of metal, but it would just say "hey you found metal". I learned to dig everything. I now have a Ace 250, not expensive ($212) and I regularly out hunt my brother with his AT Pro. I am sure most of this is because he has not taken the time to learn his machine as the Pro is a fantastic machine. My point being the machine is only part of the equation, how you use it is the other part. You will dig a bunch of trash, we all have. It's important not to get discouraged. Once you get the hang of the machine the rest is up to you. Happy hunting and I look forward to your first post of finds:yes:.

Welcome to the forum and to the hobby.

Where are you from? If you can, try to get someone who has some experience to go out with you and help you learn the techniques they use (they won't be the "perfect" techniques", but they'll help, and I find it more fun to detect with a friend).

Back
Top Bottom