Nokta PulseDive

NJDiver

Just a bit curious here. I have the PulseDive on the way, but I won't get a chance to try it out till next season. Anyone here use it with the detect head on underwater on scuba? That's my plan for next season, in some of the freshwater swimming holes here. I could probably get my Multi Kruzer in those spots, but feel the PulseDive would be far easier to manage in any place with a current. Most of the spots shouldn't pass much more than 10-15ft, though one that comes to mind is an old, abandoned limestone quarry with a silty bottom at 50ft (yes, I have dove that quite a few times, never detected it though). Anything I should be aware of with the PulseDive? How about depth? Are we talking 2-3" or maybe 6-7"?

Thanks

First with it being a pulse machine, you will find every piece of iron and rust. Probably good to search a small area, large area will be very time consuming. My 2¢

Good Q here Buddy...Lets think about this a little...

Old fresh water raft sites and quarry jump offs?.

Might be better to whip through the area with a great big 1/4" hardware screen 2' wide dustpan of some sort of rig and simply do a grid and sift the mud without a detector in hand at all...? Peel off the top?

Its gonna be Zero Vis anyway as a guy gets to stirring, so just geezle along down there with a big old dustpan type of dealie and skim/sift? Just go full blind commando and skim/ sift?

Then come up topsides and see what the junk is saying....lotsa busted glass and caps and tabs and whatnot...all sorts of bullcrap and fishing gear and keys no doubt, but also some nice finds a guy has to figure...at least to get to know the age and maybe possibility of the place?

Maybe a detector is not needed at all in places such as this? Just skim and sift first to get all the junk out of the way and give you an idea of what is going on down in here??

The big money is in the gold chains...and they all pretty much sound like junk to a detector, so a skim/sift strategy might be the most efficient thing to do at a raft site or quarry jump off anyways..thoughts?...

I wonder since it is a pulse you can size out the target? That would be a great help if it did..

That's a pretty good idea there! Spent years working a local scuba diving quarry in maintenance and IT so I'm used to silting it up when working and working in 0 vis. That's a pretty decent idea!

Zero vis you want a divers mesh bag, you detect a target ........grab a hand full of muck and hopefully the target shove it in the bag..if the target is gone when rechecking you move to the next. The mesh bag allows the muck and sand to wash away. If the area is rocks that maybe a problem. Here in the bay visibility is less then a foot, stir things up and it goes to Zero.

Attachments

• OBN-0005.jpg
    OBN-0005.jpg
    51.1 KB · Views: 701
bag

Zero vis you want a divers mesh bag, you detect a target ........grab a hand full of muck and hopefully the target shove it in the bag..if the target is gone when rechecking you move to the next. The mesh bag allows the muck and sand to wash away. If the area is rocks that maybe a problem. Here in the bay visibility is less then a foot, stir things up and it goes to Zero.

That sounds a lot like diving for shark teeth in the Cooper River in SC.

Thats the thing...Zero Vis!...Just drop down to the bottom... heavy weights and and rip and roar a radius with a great big dustpan hardware cloth kind of dealie!!

Just scoop and sift the whole hot mess! Rip and Roar around in the Mud! Then you come up and do a deck dump every so often...take a look at the trash/finds.... see what the hell is going on down here and its age and possibilities...ream the whole place out down to the hardpack before you even think about taking a Metal Detector down in that hot mess...

All you really need a detector for is to locate the Old raft swim area anchor and according scatterchaff...then.. just rip and roar with the dustpan...

Hell, you dont really need a detector, just observe the lakeshore cottages and figure out where you woulda put a raft 100yrs ago..drop down and sift, rip, and roar!....

Mud , you got a very good idea here. Finally you sound logical. But it does seem like alot of work and zero vis. Why not take it a little further ? How about a small suction dredge bringing the muck up into a screen on the surface ? As you pointed out , choose a good location and test it out.

Mud , you got a very good idea here. Finally you sound logical. But it does seem like alot of work and zero vis. Why not take it a little further ? How about a small suction dredge bringing the muck up into a screen on the surface ? As you pointed out , choose a good location and test it out.

Try that in Michigan and prepare to have all your equipment confiscated.

Illegal to use a dredge anywhere here

Try that in Michigan and prepare to have all your equipment confiscated.

Illegal to use a dredge anywhere here
Didn't know that. Is there a reason ? Noise , pollution, idk. Definitely wouldn't want to lose your equipment.

Hated it scubadiving using an analog detector digging 10 inch down by hand, only to find a pulltab or bottlecap, and that times 40 and your air is up. A PI while scuba diving, not for me. Gotta get yourself a decent handscoop and a meshbag like OBN adviced and your chances of cutting your hands open, will be fine. Using a digital detector in fresh, made me a happy scuba detecting diver though :cool3:

It's OK to use in a specific situation. We have a salvage boat working the 1715 fleet in Florida. After we blow off the sand overburden down to bedrock we have a couple of divers working the sides of the hole probably 20-30 foot in diameter with a couple of detectors. One diver will check the cracks and crevices in the center of the hole using the Pulse Diver like a pin pointer. It probably gets about 4 to 5 inches. Worth trying because a single escudo can make your day. I know of one other salvage boat crew that does this.

No idea why they passed that law.

We have the same law for the Chesapeake bay, at one time during the 80's you would see divers and dredges hammering the same spots I hunt now. The reason the dredges got outlawed was two reasons, major disturbance of the bottom and Noise.

Last edited:
That sounds a lot like diving for shark teeth in the Cooper River in SC.

Wow! As a kid of 11 or 12 I lived on base a the Naval Weapons Station SC on the banks of the Cooper river and I found a large pile of sharks teeth right on the bank at waterlevel. I was such an idiot then I might have grabbed one or two and promptly lost them....DOH! Left the rest. :no:
Thinking back about that I should have excavated that spot entirely!

Cooper River

Wow! As a kid of 11 or 12 I lived on base a the Naval Weapons Station SC on the banks of the Cooper river and I found a large pile of sharks teeth right on the bank at waterlevel. I was such an idiot then I might have grabbed one or two and promptly lost them....DOH! Left the rest. :no:
Thinking back about that I should have excavated that spot entirely!

Wow, I would love to live in that area. The diving is fairly easy (well, compared to some of the East Coast diving I've done) there. 25ft or so deep, but with horrible vis and a current. You really need a river pick. That gets attached to a D ring on your BC, or scooter ring if you're in a backplate and harness setup, then that gets jammed into the bottom to hold you. Pop out your mesh dive bag and sweep the bottom into it. You're looking for the gravel spots, not the mud spots. Once you're back on the boat, take a look in the wash bowl at what you found. Teeth, clay pipes, etc. Really nice stuff coming out of that area. Only down side is the damn gators. But I hear they taste like chicken.

I've used the vibraprobe and the vibratector before. They are OK for small crevices or limited areas but I wouldn't want to cover any decent ground with them. 3.5" might be the max I've fanned while snorkeling with one.

Thank you everyone for all the great pointers and ideas! Sounds like I'll probably end up just poking around small areas that would likely be resting places for items dropped. If nothing, I'll get some water time and get to snoop around some of the old swimming holes with the PulseDive and see what turns up. Not a bad way to spend some free time.

Back
Top Bottom