• Forum server maintanace Friday night.(around 7PM Centeral time)
    Website will be off line for a short while.

You may need to log out, log back in after we're back online.

All U.S. Coins 1807-DATE

I also found a shield nickle with no date,could barely make out the shield.

Nice lists of the common coins...

I bet the list for the "Holy Crap you just found a coin worth......" is much shorter and harder to fine.

Im just starting to get into this but arent there coins made rarer by their minting location opposed to an early year?

I have quite a bit of silver but its all been plucked from circulation and nothing yet by MD. My rarest find was in a wall of a home I assisted in renovating. The lady let us each pick out a coin. I got a 1886 Morgan Dollar. Primo shape obviously. But isnt there a 1884 from a certain mint worth tons more then just melting value? THOSE coins are the ones we all need to have a list of. Some of those coins dont have to be old to be rare and valuable!

I bet the list for the "Holy Crap you just found a coin worth......" is much shorter and harder to fine.

Im just starting to get into this but arent there coins made rarer by their minting location opposed to an early year?

I have quite a bit of silver but its all been plucked from circulation and nothing yet by MD. My rarest find was in a wall of a home I assisted in renovating. The lady let us each pick out a coin. I got a 1886 Morgan Dollar. Primo shape obviously. But isnt there a 1884 from a certain mint worth tons more then just melting value? THOSE coins are the ones we all need to have a list of. Some of those coins dont have to be old to be rare and valuable!

the 1884 CC is listed between 160-600 bucks depending on grade, but the 1885 CC is 500-1800 bucks, low mintage dates are what drives up the prices

the 1884 CC is listed between 160-600 bucks depending on grade, but the 1885 CC is 500-1800 bucks, low mintage dates are what drives up the prices
Oh 1884CC's can run much higher than $600.
In MS66 they go for north of $700 even past $1000 with CAC
MS68...$57,500.

Oh and these are realized prices at auctions.

Something to dream about ;)

Rare coins...

One thing I have think Ive noticed is ANYTHING printed CC seems to be a keeper! Think Ill Keep anything with a CC just to be safe.

Learneth Lesson #1- Keep everything. You never know.

LOL

Wonder if there are like 20 commandments of MDers.

We should put one together. LOL. That will have to come from you guys.... I havent been to MD church yet. :lol:

I have a bunch of coins to sort through and I am new to this. I don't want to put something in the coin machine that is something more than a regular coin worth face value. Is this pretty much a good way to differentiate regular new coins from coins that are somewhat different.

Quarters, Dimes, and Nickels that are year 1964 and older I put to the side since they are silver.

Pennies that are 1982 and older are copper.

Correct?

I have a bunch of coins to sort through and I am new to this. I don't want to put something in the coin machine that is something more than a regular coin worth face value. Is this pretty much a good way to differentiate regular new coins from coins that are somewhat different.

Quarters, Dimes, and Nickels that are year 1964 and older I put to the side since they are silver.

Pennies that are 1982 and older are copper.

Correct?

Silver nickels are only from 1942-1945. An easy way to tell is if it has a P,D, or S over the dome on the back.... If it does its silver.

Just a small edit to make sure that people don't get confused; there were never "Barber Nickels" the Nickels minted from 1883-1913 were "V" nickels, or "Liberty Head Nickels." Before the Liberty Heads came "Shield Nickels" which were minted from 1866-1883. Before Shields were 2, and 3 cent pieces which don't really count as nickels. Just figured I'd let ya know so that no one gets confused!

P.S. I think you meant "Flying" eagle, not "Flaying" eagle :)

guess my 2008 redbook is outdated :lol:

Here's a tip: ALL Redbooks are outdated, even the newest edition as soon as it is published! Coin prices fluctuate quite a bit, and IMO, you probably need at the least a weekly price list to keep current. Unless you are a coin dealer or sell a lot of coins, you likely won't bother to keep current on your coin values, as they do fluctuate all the time.

The factors affecting coin values are primarily:

1) Collector (market) demand for the coin,

2) Rarity (supply)

3) Condition (grade) ...which also ties into rarity, as higher grades are rarer than lower grades.

Back
Top Bottom