Beach Barbers

Semtav

Elite Member
Got done working early today so I thought I'd run out to my good homestead and play with different setting on my detectors.

Decided to try Beach mode on the Racer since the area I was gonna try kinda looked like beach soil. Ash pile from the stoves.

Not 5 minutes into the hunt, I get a signal kinda close to 80 but not rock steady. Dug up a pile and tried to find it. Kept telling me it was in the pile, but no luck. tried 3 tone and it was a trashy signal so I about gave up. Tried beach once more and it was still there so just decided I was gonna sift thru it til I found what was making that noise. figuring a melted piece of metal. Was shocked when I scraped out a flat disc. thought maybe button or penny.
Turned out to be a dark 1900 Barber Dime.

Hunted for another half hour with no luck but a few non ferrous trinkets.

Decided to work my way back to where I laid the F75 and call it a day.
Not 10 feet from where I found the first Barber I get a non ferrous signal about 10 points lower. Was kinda shocked when a toasted Barber popped out of the ground.

Both of these were right where I found the 2 wheat pennies with the F75 a few days ago.

Edit-- I did manage to get a little crud off one edge and see 1911 on the toasted dime.

Attachments

• Beach Barber.jpg
    Beach Barber.jpg
    30 KB · Views: 181
  • hiding.jpg
    hiding.jpg
    122.1 KB · Views: 180
Last edited:
That's awesome, always seems you find something you missed when going over previously detected ground. Not too long ago I also found two Barber dimes (1905 and 1909) in close proximity in a spot I thought I had covered thoroughly.

I have yet to find an area loaded with ash on the farms I detect. It's possible you were near the trash pit area.

good story and good pix. A buddy of mine was having trouble with his machine in a certain alkali desert type ground. So he decided to try "beach mode", and the signals were clearer/better. He figured it was because the land-soil, in our particular hunt location, mimicked salt-water beach.

Technically speaking you can adjust individual settings/controls, accordingly to your pre-set land mode, and accomplish the same thing I suppose.

That's awesome, always seems you find something you missed when going over previously detected ground. Not too long ago I also found two Barber dimes (1905 and 1909) in close proximity in a spot I thought I had covered thoroughly.

I have yet to find an area loaded with ash on the farms I detect. It's possible you were near the trash pit area.

Thanks Chroma. We don't call them trash pits cause they never dug them around here. Just threw everything on the top of the ground.

good story and good pix. A buddy of mine was having trouble with his machine in a certain alkali desert type ground. So he decided to try "beach mode", and the signals were clearer/better. He figured it was because the land-soil, in our particular hunt location, mimicked salt-water beach.

Technically speaking you can adjust individual settings/controls, accordingly to your pre-set land mode, and accomplish the same thing I suppose.

Thanks Tom

Gonna see what weird mode I can put the F75 in and get signals.
Almost every substantial homestead has one of these ash piles. So maybe a whole different approach is needed for them

Back
Top Bottom