TRX Field reports. ANYONE add your's

Did you leave it sitting without touching it? I have not bothered to test this yet but if you move it, I do believe you reset the lost timer..

I did. After sitting on the ground away from metal, it was not touched. Tried different sensitivity settings, tried with a ground grab, even tried a Master Reset, but still silent for 10 minutes until daDA sound, it shut itself off.

I did. After sitting on the ground away from metal, it was not touched. Tried different sensitivity settings, tried with a ground grab, even tried a Master Reset, but still silent for 10 minutes until daDA sound, it shut itself off.
Interesting, I will have to try mine tomorrow.. will let you know what i find

I have two Garrett PPs and they are awesome, but the TRX is even more awesomerest! (That is a word and proper grammar here in Utah for all you English majors and spell check police)

Honestly I really do like the whites more. It is faster, deeper, and the ratcheting thing rocks! I don't have to super charge it like my PPs but still can if I want to. Now that I've used it for almost three weeks I can't go back because of how slow to turn on and off the PP is especially when I'm trying to detune the Garrett in the hole. I know I'm significantly faster overall with the bullseye II. I also love that it takes AAs and I got a ton of hours on my first set. I just had to put new ones in last night for the first time. This will save me $$$$!

The on flip side the TRX is more unstable and does get EFI sometimes but one click down stops it. I also thought I could somehow select beep, vibrate or both but have not been able to figure out how. I did not know of the lost alarm until reading this thread but I think mine has beeped once due to this when I left it on in my house but I really don't know. It also does not feel as durable as the Garrett so I'll have to see if it holds up as well. I have hunted with the TRX in the rain and had it get soaked without any visible leaks, which has not been the cases with my PPs, one of which has water damage inside and has lost the vibration even though I've calked them with a ton of silicon.

I'm not hating on the Garrett, but I am buying another whites soon for backup, they are worth it to me.

I have two Garrett PPs and they are awesome, but the TRX is even more awesomerest! (That is a word and proper grammar here in Utah for all you English majors and spell check police)

Honestly I really do like the whites more. It is faster, deeper, and the ratcheting thing rocks! I don't have to super charge it like my PPs but still can if I want to. Now that I've used it for almost three weeks I can't go back because of how slow to turn on and off the PP is especially when I'm trying to detune the Garrett in the hole. I know I'm significantly faster overall with the bullseye II. I also love that it takes AAs and I got a ton of hours on my first set. I just had to put new ones in last night for the first time. This will save me $$$$!

The on flip side the TRX is more unstable and does get EFI sometimes but one click down stops it. I also thought I could somehow select beep, vibrate or both but have not been able to figure out how. I did not know of the lost alarm until reading this thread but I think mine has beeped once due to this when I left it on in my house but I really don't know. It also does not feel as durable as the Garrett so I'll have to see if it holds up as well. I have hunted with the TRX in the rain and had it get soaked without any visible leaks, which has not been the cases with my PPs, one of which has water damage inside and has lost the vibration even though I've calked them with a ton of silicon.

I'm not hating on the Garrett, but I am buying another whites soon for backup, they are worth it to me.

I like the option of the AA batteries as well...

Now to the Utah grammar....being that the AA batteries will provide a longer operating period...you won't be spending a grundle of greenbacks trying to keep it powered up. Yup...

LittleJohn

As silly as it may sound, read the manual that came with the TRX, it will explain how to set the vib/beep settings.

As silly as it may sound, read the manual that came with the TRX, it will explain how to set the vib/beep settings.

There's a Manual? I never read those things! I like the adventure of using stuff wrong! Actually I have tried to, but I can't find it, I have the box but I think I threw away the info in the plastic bag.

There really is no need to turn it off after ratcheting down. Just point it away and press the power button quick. Just a quick tap is all it takes to reset it back to full sensitivity. Ive had no issues with mine. Yeah, It does chirp a bit when you lay it on the ground but there may be rusted iron deposits or who knows what metallic minerals under it. It's second nature to me already and I've only got 5 hunts in of about 2 hours a piece. Only thing I'm waiting on is for the season to be complete for us up here in the north and then I'll give you my FULL assessment of the TRX and its durability.

UTAHOUTDOORS. FLPHIL did a bucket test with the TRX. He put a brick on top of it and held it, I think in a 5 gallon bucket full of water, Held it down with a brick for 20 min and said NO leaks. You can take out the insides and then screw the cap on and do a water test with NO worries about damaging it. Im gonna try it. I'll also try the "im lost" feature.

Ok so I used my ProPointer and TRX at the same time tonight for a fair head to head!

I just got back from a 5 hour night hunt in the woods. I've been reading the negative comments on the TRX on the other threads so I took both my Garrett and the whites. I used them both on each target for the first little while.
The whites does have a narrower detection area in the shaft which is good and bad.

A couple of times the PP told me a target was still in the hole faster, but most times the increased depth of the TRX was better at telling me when the target was still deep. Overall I give the advantage to the TRX here.

The Garrett's light is much better! The TRX's light is almost worthless for my bad eyes.

The on off is so much better on the TRX, and now the GPP's switch bugs me even more than it used to!!! I hate having to hold the button down so long to turn it on and how often it beeps like its on but fails to power up. Both of my PPs are this way.

One problem find I have found with the TRX is it ends up rotating180 degrees in my hand a lot making it hard to turn off with gloves on because the switch is by my index finger.

The little scrapper blade on the GPP is kind of nice sometimes but I find that I am wearing down the plastic quickly because of it being there I end up using it.

The TRX does cause my ATPro to chatter more than the PP but it's no big deal.

The biggest advantage and why the TRX is in my opinion is far better is the depth. 4 inches on a coin is absolutely the real. I don't want to dig a big plug if I don't have to and with the TRX. I can pinpoint exactly where the target is so accuretly including its depth I can dig the optimal plug or just do a coin pop. I was trying to do the same with my GPP and it was not even close.

During the half hour or so I was exclusively using the GPP I found myself trying to use It like the TRX and I was getting frustrated. The ranching alone is well worth the price it cost to upgrade.

Based on how many 9volts I was buying for the PP I think the battery savings alone will pay for a significant part of the unit if it holds up a couple of years. I'm not a rechargable battery guy. How I've been buying 9 volts at Costco for $2.30 each while 2AAs are less than half as much (2 X $0.43=$0.86)I think the 9 volts might last a little longer, but no where near double!

If I worked at whites I would improve only 2 things. First, and most importantly, I would double brightness of the light. Next I would make the handle asymmetrical so you could feel which way it was in your hand without looking (not too big of a deal)

I think all the TRX haters that have never even seen one would likely be won over fast if they actually tried one were honest with themselves.

My finds tonight were $3.41 in clad, a broken Boy Scout metal, a big copper bar, a 1970s style bling hoop earring and two bling rings. I sure dig less junk with the AT Pro than I did with my silver micromax and F2! I really am liking it!

I got mine today and tried it out. I really like it. I love the depth. I have only used the default setting. It ratchets nicely. Someone else mentioned that the button is hard to find without looking, I absolutely agree. I couldn't feel the button while wearing gloves, but otherwise I couldn't find a flaw. Even the holster was nice. :yes:

The biggest advantage and why the TRX is in my opinion is far better is the depth. 4 inches on a coin is absolutely the real. I don't want to dig a big plug if I don't have to and with the TRX. I can pinpoint exactly where the target is so accuretly including its depth I can dig the optimal plug or just do a coin pop. I was trying to do the same with my GPP and it was not even close.

During the half hour or so I was exclusively using the GPP I found myself trying to use It like the TRX and I was getting frustrated. The ranching alone is well worth the price it cost to upgrade.

Exactly why I like it more I can pinpoint with my coil just fine, But being able to get directly over the top with the ratcheting at 4" makes "poping" it out with a screwdriver VERY Easy to do. Just poke it down into the dirt right under the spot you ratcheted to till you feel the target. Get off to the side just a bit and, pop, out it comes. No need to get out the lesch and I love my lesch but if I dont have to dig a plug I dont want to. Making a very small opening that you can just press together with your hands is much easier and quicker. Also MUCH less noticeable.

I have noticed that "rotation" as well but I'm learning to feel how it is in my hand with where the outcropping for the light is. I can do without the light. No need for it. Chirping and vibration work just fine. Besides, even with the GPP I never used the light. Love my TRX. Unless it fails by the end of the season or has some issue of some kind or is not as durable as the GPP then Im a change man. I am NOT knocking the GPP, Its a very good pointer but the TRX with its depth and ratcheting just takes the lead.

I got mine today and used it for around an hour and that's all it took for me to absolutely love it. Before I took it out on my hunt, I upped the sensitivity to 3 because after watching some youtube videos, I thought it would suit my purposes perfectly and boy was I right. I set the ground balance once and never had to reset it during my hunt and the TRX functioned perfectly. I was able to find coins much easier predig since it is tip sensitive unlike the GPP. It pinpointed dead center every time. I didn't have any of the problems that others were complaining about their TRX. I had no problem hearing the audio even though I was using my Whites ProStar headphones that fit tight and block out a lot of noise. I had no problem finding a coin in the side of a plug that I cut after slightly missing it while pinpointing with my detector. After I got home I turned the TRX on and set it on the wooden coffee table. After a few minutes my son called out to me from the living room, "Hey dad the fire alarm is beeping in here." Well needless to say it wasn't the fire alarm it was the beep from the TRX to find it if you loose it. Very Cool !!! I know I have only had the TRX for a few hours but I can say that so far I can't find anything about it that I don't like. I will say that the light doesn't seem to be quite as bright as the GPP but when I turned the lights out in my man cave, it illuminated a coin on the floor adequately.

I gotta say this. The ratchet feature on the TRX is really nothing more than a quicker step-method compared to the Garrets off/on routine near the target. You save one button push on the TRX in that routine. Me?, personally?...the ratchet thing is cool, but it hardly shouts a loud ability the TRX has that the ProPointer hasn't already been capable of since day1.

I love my TRX so far. Better today than after my last hunt. Ratcheting will never over impress me.

Yeah, Ratcheting is nice. Not a huge sale option tho but I do like it. What I like the best is being able to detect a coin of dime size down at 4". GPP will NOT do that even if you "Pro tune" it with a quarter next to the power button. Have not tried that with the TRX.. Hmmmm. LOL Can we say 6" +?? Might have to try it. LOL.

Don't think it will work because the detection fields are different.

On a side note, the TRX does a good job of educating on real actual depths of targets recovered. :D
Yup. Gets you directly over a deeper object than the GPP. Makes my life easier with less digging.

Anyone added a plastic/rubber cap to the tip yet ??
What diameter ??

Works great on the pro-pointers.

the Shepherd Hardware Products leg tips (used for chair legs) in the 3/4 size is what you need. Home Depot and Lowes should have them.

Back
Top Bottom