Irma gives back.

Chipk

Elite Member
Monday morning at 5:00am, Hurricane Irma sent us a little gift. A tornado hit my nextdoor neighbor, knocking down about a dozen oak trees, ripped off a big sunroom and then pulled off most of his metal roof. She dropped half of the debris on his 3 vehicles and then threw the rest into my yard, knocking down 4 of my oaks in the process. We were trapped as the trees fell across my driveway and my yard making it impossible to escape. I was not pleased.

Yesterday I was able to have the trees cleared ($1800) and today the power came back on. I spent all of yesterday and most of today cleaning. I still have a 30'x65' section of his metal roof to contend with and I still have hundreds of limbs and untold numbers of leaves to clean up but this afternoon I decided I had had enough.

I wanted to go to the beach.

I packed up my Sovereign and Sand Shark and headed to Fernandina Beach. It was nearly high tide but I ventured out.

First I found a sea buoy. It was a !!!!! to dig....lol. Then I started gridding the beach. Dug what I thought was a ship spike but later Kapidr and I discussed it and once it was rinsed you can see it is a .50 caliber round. Another find appears to be part of another.

But the crowning find was a porthole. I had hoped for a ring or something similar but this is even better.

Irma, you're forgiven. Almost.

Attachments

• image2.JPG
    image2.JPG
    29.1 KB · Views: 826
  • IMG_2372.jpg
    IMG_2372.jpg
    66.4 KB · Views: 772
  • IMG_2370.jpg
    IMG_2370.jpg
    98.8 KB · Views: 766
it sucks having to pay that much to get the trees and debris removed but it sounds like it'll cost your neighbor much more. hopefully he's got some sort of insurance coverage to help with it.

anyway, that porthole is an awesome find!, i'll bet that gave off one heck of a signal, lol. :shock: now if you could find what it was attached to. ;)

Pete

What signal did the buoy ring up as? Want to make sure I don't pass over one if it looks like foil

KT loves that Porthole! No telling how many people or who looked out of that in years past to see the ocean waves or distant ports of call! That is a great wall hanger. His Majesty would have a round mirror mounted behind it and hang it so folks could see it as they enter the Royal Castle!! :D:D

it sucks having to pay that much to get the trees and debris removed but it sounds like it'll cost your neighbor much more. hopefully he's got some sort of insurance coverage to help with it.

anyway, that porthole is an awesome find!, i'll bet that gave off one heck of a signal, lol. :shock: now if you could find what it was attached to. ;)

Pete
Ah, Nova Scotia eh? we keep all the hurricanes down here so you folks don't get them. Your'e welcome. :D thing about insurance in Fl, at least, is folks normally, at least my policy, has a standard 5% deductible. UNTIL you get a hurricane, then it jumps to 10%. After Mathew my friend lost his entire patio enclosure for about $25,000 to replace. His deductible was over $35,000. ( some policies do not even cover enclosures unless you pay a horrible premium) I realized after his loss that all I really have is catastrophic coverage.

I like the porthole too. I don't think the buoy would be approved in my yard by my HOA.

Back
Top Bottom